Help for a Noob
I downloaded XBMC 2 days ago and have been having tremendous trouble setting it up.
It appears everything I do is wrong or does not remain in place.

Is there an "idiots guide to XBMC"?

I can't connect to the internet (wireless)

scripts fail

it won't retain my wx setup

cannot import movies or shows/ music

using Win7

I've attempted to read the documentation and while on the "Wiki" I can see the person that posted it went to great lengths to do a through job, it's simply over my head

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. That was many years ago but nonetheless...I certainly remember the frustration. I don't know as there really is a resource besides the wiki that you could consider a central repository and I haven't seen that anyone has done a "for dummies" guide.

Truthfully, you are looking at the answer: the forums. Search and read. A lot. Every issue you have, someone else has had 100 times. You will find almost anything you are looking for in here. There are a lot of great, helpful people here who are more than willing to help you out to get you up and going. That being said, if it's clear that you haven't searched the forums and attempted to figure it out, you probably either won't get an answer or will get fed to the trolls. Also, when you do post, please be sure to include your log files. (PasteBin link - don't paste it here). And please try to be specific on what the issue is. Also, keep the issue to one per thread unless the two are directly related.

Now, to hopefully give you a start:

Quote:I can't connect to the internet (wireless)
Can you connect at all? Do you loose it when you start XBMC? Or does it just not work?

Quote:scripts fail
What scripts?

Quote:cannot import movies or shows/ music
This is usually an issue with the way your files are named. You'll probably have to modify advancedsettings.xml to get the scraper to pick things up. But not knowing what you have tried, I have no idea...

What version of XBMC are you running? Is it Dharma or did you download a nightly?

XBMC is great but there is a learning curve take your time, real A LOT and have fun with it!! At face value, it's pretty easy to get up and running but the more you get into it, the more you can push it to do. Just don't try to do it all at once. Wink

Oh, and welcome to XBMC. =)
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
This may help

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=111185

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help for a Noob0