Htpc
I'm looking to run a low-budget HTPC computer.
I've acquired an older dell optiplex 755 SFF (this is the motherboard)
It has the C2D E6750 (2.66ghz) as the processor and currently 1GB Ram and a 160 gig HD. (I also have a 1TB external drive that is currently hosting all of my media)

I'm looking to run XBMC, sabnzbd, sickbeard & couch potato. I currently am running an appletv1 w/ broadcom and doing the sabnzbd stuff on my laptop and then sending it to a networked drive.

What all do you recommend I do to upgrade this computer to be suitable.
Option 1: get more ram and a HD 6450 card
Option 2: buy a new G45 mobo and reuse the processor and pick up some ram (ddr3 is super cheap compared to ddr2)

Option 2 is more future-proof for adding ram and adding a ssd (sata 3 support) but costs a bit more. I can also get about double the ddr3 ram for the price of ddr2)

Option 1 is cheaper. and probably has a better graphics card.

I picked up the Optiplex for about 70 bucks so for the 6450 ($20) and a stick of ram ($15) I'm thinking I could have a pretty decent htpc for around 100 bucks. I chose the optiplex because I like the C2D processors and it comes with an 80+ psu included.

I'm open to any other suggestions other than what I listed, but keep prices in mind. There isn't a real budget, but the cheaper it is the happier my wife would be. Big Grin
Since you already have that board I would stick with it, if you want to upgrade wait and upgrade to IVY when it releases Q3 2012 (general availability), should fix 24fps.

You didn't mention having a windows license spare so I presume Linux/live install is what you'll want to be running...I would also suggest researching openELEC

Go for a Nvidia 430gt, it has better linux compatibility at this point in time than the 6450.
This should also avoid any 24fps issues possible from IGP if available.

Extra RAM is always useful (to an extent) so try scavenge more from machines being thrown out, especially over holiday season pickings should be plenty!

Good luck!
I'm planning on using Windows 7 unless someone can convince me otherwise. I am much more familiar with windows and trying to run things via linux/unix makes no sense to me. Also, the HD6450 uses less power which is important with the smallish psu included with that optiplex.

If I was going with windows, would you still recommend the 430gt over the hd6450?
BurtonSnol3ord Wrote:I'm planning on using Windows 7 unless someone can convince me otherwise. I am much more familiar with windows and trying to run things via linux/unix makes no sense to me. Also, the HD6450 uses less power which is important with the smallish psu included with that optiplex.

If I was going with windows, would you still recommend the 430gt over the hd6450?
AMD HD6450+XBMC+W7= no macroblocking, and Nvidia GT430 has macroblocking issue!

Here is a very nice AMD HD6450 at very low price- XFX HD-645X-ZQH2 Radeon HD 6450 1GB.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:AMD HD6450+XBMC+W7= no macroblocking, and Nvidia GT430 has macroblocking issue!

Here is a very nice AMD HD6450 at very low price- XFX HD-645X-ZQH2 Radeon HD 6450 1GB.

True! that! Rofl
bluray Wrote:AMD HD6450+XBMC+W7= no macroblocking, and Nvidia GT430 has macroblocking issue!

That is the card I was going to be getting.

Do you think 4gb of ram is good? Should I go 4x1gb or 2x2gb?
BurtonSnol3ord Wrote:That is the card I was going to be getting.

Do you think 4gb of ram is good? Should I go 4x1gb or 2x2gb?
4GB of RAM is the magic number for W7 64-Bit. 4 stick required more power than 2 sticks, and 2 sticks is slightly faster too. 2x2GB is the best way! Smile
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I just realized I have a 1gb stick in the computer already. Should I add the 2x2gb to it for a total of 5 gb or just pull it and throw the 2x2 in? Also, how much ram is recommended for setting up a ramdisk? Just thought I might be able to have 2x2 and set up the 1gb as a ramdisk for xbmc fanart and such. Is that more hassle than it is worth?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Htpc0