• 36(current)
[RELEASE] Official XBMC boblight Addon
(2012-11-20, 20:27)schumi2004 Wrote:
(2012-11-20, 19:02)raptorjr Wrote:
(2012-11-20, 15:47)Memphiz Wrote: Well i'm out of ideas - beside (to cite you) it feels strange that your setup seems to be so different to all others Wink

Since boblight-x11 works it must be something with the addon. Is there different versions of libboblight? Does it have some kind of debug output? There must be some way to find the problem. It would be so much easier if i could use the addon. Are there other plugins like this one? Maybe something other than boblight that works good in Ubuntu?

Are you still having problems with finding the right config for your leds?

Try my boblight.conf.
Don't touch the boblight.conf itself but copy paste values in XBMC Boblight

Code:
#speed                  75
#interpolation  1
#saturation             2
#value                  6
#threshold              50

I could try, but i don't think it is a configuration problem since it works good in boblight-X11. How many LEDs are you guys using? I'm using the default values for Fast, they can't be that wrong?
There must be some way to debug this and find out why the addon sends the wrong colors to my LEDs. Is the image capture function failing in some way because of my hardware or something?
100 Led adalight.

Ok. So here's where I'm at. Finally got something from boblightd and Xbmc. Just not what I want.
And it makes no sense.

Boblightd is running on windows 7. It connects to XBMC. When Xbmc loads, I get a color swirl. Kinda.

Using this 50 led boblight.conf: http://pastebin.com/LYRCAcj6 I get 50 lights lighting up. As seen here: http://i.imgur.com/4UdJI.jpg

But when I go to the 100 led boblight.conf: http://pastebin.com/a0TAXTRK I only get about 15 lights lighting up. As seen here: http://i.imgur.com/Ufo91.jpg

I've been working on this forever. My brain is gonna explode. It makes NO sense why this isn't working. Can anyone help?

@quixand

those lights take about 2 amps per 50. do you have at least a 4 amp power supply?

(2012-11-21, 04:11)Specterx Wrote: @quixand

those lights take about 2 amps per 50. do you have at least a 4 amp power supply?

Sure do Specterx! 5v 10amp power supply. It works ok with lightpack, and the adalight software. Sorta. But at least all the lights work.
I just commented on your other post asking if you wouldn't mind doing a quick and dirty windows/boblight/xbmc howto...I'd love to buy you a beer if you could get me running, I'm at whits end. =(
maybe something with your boblight.conf file. is it set to 300 channels (3 channels per LED)?

Try this calculator for your boblight setup.

be sure to set the column numbers correctly. probably: 32, 20 in your case.

Code:
#config file for adalight from http://www.ladyada.net/make/adalight/

[global]
interface       127.0.0.1
port            19333
#speed            75
#interpolation        1
#saturation        2
#value            6
#threshold        50

[device]
name            ambilight
type            momo
output          "com8"
channels        300
prefix        41 64 61 00 32 67  
interval        20000
rate            115200
debug           off #turn this on to see what it's doing with the serial port

#arduino bootloader runs when opening the serial port for the first time
#delay transmission one second after opening so we don't send shit to the bootloader
delayafteropen    1000000

[color]
name            red
rgb             FF0000

[color]
name            green
rgb             00FF00

[color]
name            blue
rgb             0000FF

you need the code above to be on top of the code you get from that web site calculator. Not sure what the prefix line does. but you do need 300 channels.'

give that a try and see what happens.

also check to make sure that the second string of LEDs is connected in the right direction. check the little arrow on each of the LEDs and make sure the output from your first string is going into the end of the second string where they are going into the arrow direction.
(2012-11-21, 04:30)Specterx Wrote: maybe something with your boblight.conf file. is it set to 300 channels (3 channels per LED)?

Try this calculator for your boblight setup.

be sure to set the column numbers correctly. probably: 32, 20 in your case.

Code:
#config file for adalight from http://www.ladyada.net/make/adalight/

[global]
interface       127.0.0.1
port            19333
#speed            75
#interpolation        1
#saturation        2
#value            6
#threshold        50

[device]
name            ambilight
type            momo
output          "com8"
channels        300
prefix        41 64 61 00 32 67  
interval        20000
rate            115200
debug           off #turn this on to see what it's doing with the serial port

#arduino bootloader runs when opening the serial port for the first time
#delay transmission one second after opening so we don't send shit to the bootloader
delayafteropen    1000000

[color]
name            red
rgb             FF0000

[color]
name            green
rgb             00FF00

[color]
name            blue
rgb             0000FF

you need the code above to be on top of the code you get from that web site calculator. Not sure what the prefix line does. but you do need 300 channels.'

give that a try and see what happens.

also check to make sure that the second string of LEDs is connected in the right direction. check the little arrow on each of the LEDs and make sure the output from your first string is going into the end of the second string where they are going into the arrow direction.

What are you doing with boblightd? Which one are you running, and what arguments do you pass to it when you launch it?
here is my command to run boblight.
C:\boblightd\boblightd.exe -c c:\boblightd\boblight.conf -f

I am running 50 LEDs. They are the 6803 type so I had to use a ledstream mad for 6803 LEDs. running this on a arduino uno rev 3 (knockoff from dx.com)

so far it works very nice. I did tweak the settings in xbmc addon boblight for movies. turned up the threshold so the LEDs go dark when the screen is dark.

I also changed these in the boblight.conf file:

[color]
name blue
rgb 0000FF
adjust 0.4

[color]
name green
rgb 00FF00
adjust 0.7

I had too much green and way too much blue. My white color looked blue. so I turned blue to 0 and it looked green... so I tweaked until I got a nice white color. looks great now.

also in xbmc boblight settings:
preset: CUSTOM
Speed: 50
Autospeed: 0
Interpolation: off
saturation: 3.00 the higher the more colorful (not brightness but how deep the color is)
value: 1.50 brightness
threshold: 40 the higher it is the sooner it will turn dark.... at 0 it will never go dim.
(2012-11-21, 05:23)Specterx Wrote: here is my command to run boblight.
C:\boblightd\boblightd.exe -c c:\boblightd\boblight.conf -f

I am running 50 LEDs. They are the 6803 type so I had to use a ledstream mad for 6803 LEDs. running this on a arduino uno rev 3 (knockoff from dx.com)

so far it works very nice. I did tweak the settings in xbmc addon boblight for movies. turned up the threshold so the LEDs go dark when the screen is dark.

I also changed these in the boblight.conf file:

[color]
name blue
rgb 0000FF
adjust 0.4

[color]
name green
rgb 00FF00
adjust 0.7

I had too much green and way too much blue. My white color looked blue. so I turned blue to 0 and it looked green... so I tweaked until I got a nice white color. looks great now.

also in xbmc boblight settings:
preset: CUSTOM
Speed: 50
Autospeed: 0
Interpolation: off
saturation: 3.00 the higher the more colorful (not brightness but how deep the color is)
value: 1.50 brightness
threshold: 40 the higher it is the sooner it will turn dark.... at 0 it will never go dim.

Which version of boblightd for windows are you running? The 1.3 beta 1?
yes, 1.3 b1.
Trying 1.3 b1, when I launch boblight getpixel I get error connection timed out.

Have never been able to get 1.3 b1 to run on windows 7 64 bit.
PRAISE JEBUS! I got it working! But it's working like lightpack or adalight.

The top row and bottom row don't work with letterboxed movies like all the youtube test videos show. Which is why I wanted to switch to boblight.
Do you know how to fix that Specterx?

Here's an example of what I mean. http://i.imgur.com/7KApk.jpg

The letterboxing is taking away from the top and bottom led effect, circled in red.
try playing with the threshold setting. turn it down really low and see what that does... maybe 20. I will try mine later with another letterbox movie. I don't remember it having an issue. I have my threshold at 40. glad you got it working.

what was the problem with the leds not lighting?
(2012-11-21, 06:26)Specterx Wrote: try playing with the threshold setting. turn it down really low and see what that does... maybe 20. I will try mine later with another letterbox movie. I don't remember it having an issue. I have my threshold at 40. glad you got it working.

what was the problem with the leds not lighting?

I'm GUESSING the prefix? I ran that processing script to get the prefix for 100 LEDS, which was 41 64 61 00 63 36.
I replaced that with the prefix I had that was "FF" and whalla.

wow, that is great! good find. sad none of this stuff is documented
(2012-11-21, 07:09)Specterx Wrote: wow, that is great! good find. sad none of this stuff is documented

I think I figured out the issue with the videos as well. If the black bars are hard coded into the movie, I.e the media info says the file is 1920x1080, you're going to be missing the top and bottom lights. If it's 1920x880 or something like that, then XBMC will apply soft black bars, and you'll still get your top and bottom leds.

Trouble is, nearly ALL of my videos are encoded WITH the black bars. So there must be a fix somehow, cause I'm not going to go through and re-encode all my movies. LOL

I will say. I just tested Hugo in 3D...with a 100 LED adalight, on a 55 led 3d tv...I must confess, it's...flipping AMAZING. As soon as the movie started up, I nearly puked. The lights REALLY make the 3D pop even more, almost to the point of being surreal. This made all the frustration I've been experiencing over the past week or two WELL worth it. I'm going to make a tutorial probably tomorrow. I've got the day off, so I'll probably do that.

Too many people asking how it's done, and there really is NO information around. If it weren't for you Specterx, I'd be at it again all day tomorrow.

Cheers!
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Official XBMC boblight Addon3