• 38(current)
[RELEASE] Official XBMC boblight Addon
@raptorjr
It's not my intention to get things worse but i really think your mixing things up (and maybe lost track on how those 2 work together), boblight.conf and XBMC Boblight are separate things that can work together.
All the settings you do in X11 are there and stay there but now your going to use XBMC Boblight plugin and your config looks messed up with default settings.
Imo that default settings are just default starting points, nobody said they would look good! If you like Fast then pick Fast or Slow whatever, you don't like it go for custom settings!
Memphiz stated that several times.

(2012-11-22, 00:48)Memphiz Wrote: raptorjr. And.i tell you that the addon doesn't ignore the settings in the boblight.conf (its not able to ignore it even if it wanted to). Both settings play a role in boblight configuration. In boblight.conf you tweak each color for fitting to the attached leds/hardware. Boblight addon is only able to tweak options which apply to all channels (saturation, treshhold and so on). Thats limited/intended by the client / server design of the whole boblight construct.

And thats why the defaults CAN'T be made more generic then they are. Because everyone can diddle in the boblight.conf as he wants and turning the defaults into crap.

TBH thats what you did...
Like Memphiz said here the only thing XBMC Boblight does is (not going to repeat it just read his quote)
And sure your colors would be screwed as you said because XBMC Boblight changes saturation, treshhold and so on nothing more nothing less which influence colors. Therefor you need to find the right settings that you think are best.
Going to repeat myself now. Imo that default settings are just default starting points, nobody said they would look good!

Edit:
Maybe it would make more sense or clear things up if you look at the defaults here https://github.com/bobo1on1/script.xbmc....ngs.py#L70

And the preset settings here https://github.com/bobo1on1/script.xbmc....gs.py#L156
(2012-11-22, 14:05)Memphiz Wrote: @quixand - yes - just specify the activate part in your boblightd.conf

from the boblight wiki:

Code:
Specifies the horizontal scanrange for this light, this setting is optional, the default is 0.0 100.0
This setting only has an effect for clients that react to an image like boblight-X11 and boblight-v4l. The syntax is hscan begin end.
Begin and end specify the percentage of the horizontal range the light should react to. Example: hscan 0.0 50.0
•vscan
Specifies the vertical scanrange for this light, same as hscan.

So for the vscan instead of using 0-50 for top and 50-100 for bottom - go with 10-50 for top and 50-90 for bottom (this ignores the upper and lower 10% of video lines).

Thanks Memphiz. Is there any plan for the future to include a toggle or auto detect for these kinds of movies? So I don't have to go in after time and change this? Or is setting them this way ok for fullscreen movies as well? Meaning, is the accuracy on full screen movies with the settings for hardcoded bars still as accurate?

Also, is there a way to have boblight work ONLY for movies? I watch a lot of television through my Xbmc, and don't want the lights to be on just for those. I thought the option in the add-on for Override media was for that purpose, but enabling it, and setting it to movies didn't have the desired effect.
(2012-11-22, 14:05)Memphiz Wrote: @quixand - yes - just specify the activate part in your boblightd.conf

from the boblight wiki:

Code:
Specifies the horizontal scanrange for this light, this setting is optional, the default is 0.0 100.0
This setting only has an effect for clients that react to an image like boblight-X11 and boblight-v4l. The syntax is hscan begin end.
Begin and end specify the percentage of the horizontal range the light should react to. Example: hscan 0.0 50.0
•vscan
Specifies the vertical scanrange for this light, same as hscan.

So for the vscan instead of using 0-50 for top and 50-100 for bottom - go with 10-50 for top and 50-90 for bottom (this ignores the upper and lower 10% of video lines).

Why did i miss this Huh

So if i understand this correct, by changing vscan values i can make movies that have horizontal blackbars that are slightly bigger then normal (and won't show ambilight) also work with boblight ?
(2012-11-22, 14:44)schumi2004 Wrote: @Memphiz
Since your pretty active last days i'll ask it again since you could have missed my question Wink

Some time ago i asked if it was possible to modify XBMC Boblight to enable/disable Boblight with a single button on my remote, the answer was no.
But i was thinking maybe it's possible with a python script that changes a specific value or enable/disables addon , do you think such is possible?

No that is not possible atm. You can just map the key for calling the settings. As mentioned on page one.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-11-22, 15:16)raptorjr Wrote: So my suggestion would be if you want to have presets in the XBMC addon, don't let those settings in any way affect the colors. The presets colors should entirely rely on boblight.conf.(unless the presets have names like bright/dark/vivid or something) The presets can control other things, like the speed that don't affect the colors. And since the name of the presets is fast/slow that wouldn't be a bad start. Then when the user has that working, they can go to custom and adjust the other values.

Well i could think of just getting rid of the presets, but only allow the custom settings. I for myself don't use the presets aswell. IIRC it was a feature request from our project manager. But i think i can spent my time way better then hacking on an addon which is working so far. Though this is open source. The addon is here:

http://github.com/bobo1on1/script.xbmc.boblight

I will review and merge pull requests to that repo and also handle pull requests for getting it updated into XBMCs official addon repo if i think the addition is good.

AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2012-11-22, 15:43)quixand Wrote: Thanks Memphiz. Is there any plan for the future to include a toggle or auto detect for these kinds of movies?

No - and its a hard thing to detect for sure.

(2012-11-22, 15:43)quixand Wrote: Or is setting them this way ok for fullscreen movies as well? Meaning, is the accuracy on full screen movies with the settings for hardcoded bars still as accurate?

I use an 20% offset on top and bottom for all my movies and didn't see any strangeness yet. Though if you have boblight for a while you stop looking at the lights and judge if the colors are accurate. You come back to look the movie after you are used to boblight Wink

(2012-11-22, 15:43)quixand Wrote: Also, is there a way to have boblight work ONLY for movies?

Not possible. I'm not sure if i would even be able to detect the difference between movie and livetv from the addon side.

(2012-11-22, 15:43)quixand Wrote: I thought the option in the add-on for Override media was for that purpose, but enabling it, and setting it to movies didn't have the desired effect.

That was another feature request of our project manager and i already forgot what this was supposed to do Wink

Since i have read this multiple times now. Why do you wanna switch off boblight during live tv? I enjoy it during livetv sessions aswell (same like with a real ambi light from panasonic...)

(2012-11-22, 15:47)schumi2004 Wrote: So if i understand this correct, by changing vscan values i can make movies that have horizontal blackbars that are slightly bigger then normal (and won't show ambilight) also work with boblight ?

Thats the idea...
(2012-11-22, 18:13)Memphiz Wrote:
(2012-11-22, 15:43)quixand Wrote: Thanks Memphiz. Is there any plan for the future to include a toggle or auto detect for these kinds of movies?

No - and its a hard thing to detect for sure.

(2012-11-22, 15:43)quixand Wrote: Or is setting them this way ok for fullscreen movies as well? Meaning, is the accuracy on full screen movies with the settings for hardcoded bars still as accurate?

I use an 20% offset on top and bottom for all my movies and didn't see any strangeness yet. Though if you have boblight for a while you stop looking at the lights and judge if the colors are accurate. You come back to look the movie after you are used to boblight Wink

(2012-11-22, 15:43)quixand Wrote: Also, is there a way to have boblight work ONLY for movies?

Not possible. I'm not sure if i would even be able to detect the difference between movie and livetv from the addon side.

(2012-11-22, 15:43)quixand Wrote: I thought the option in the add-on for Override media was for that purpose, but enabling it, and setting it to movies didn't have the desired effect.

That was another feature request of our project manager and i already forgot what this was supposed to do Wink

Since i have read this multiple times now. Why do you wanna switch off boblight during live tv? I enjoy it during livetv sessions aswell (same like with a real ambi light from panasonic...)

Well, currently, I don't use Xbmc with live tv (pvr support)..honestly, just never looked into it. I'd imagine I'd need some type of tuner card, as I currently have Comcast, and I have to admit, we HATE their DVR option, it's truly awful.

But I guess my main reason for not having it on all the time is because I'm worried that either the arduino or LED lights will burn out being on all the time.
Besides, it's kind of cool to just have for movies. I figure there should be an option within Xbmc, I mean, Xbmc separates it's sources into Movies, TV Shows, or music. I'd think it would be pretty easy to include an option of WHEN to use boblight. Like...activate boblight only on Movies, Tvshows, both etc. Ya know?

I would think that would be an AWESOME option. I know I'd love it. Wink
Hi guys,

Apologies if the answer is in this thread somewhere and I've missed it, however can someone confirm the below for me please.

I currently have a PC running a fully functional Amblone setup using an arduino board and a video feed from my BD player via a USB to composite adapter and view it on the PC via VLC player.

When attempting to play videos with XBMC Eden, and running the Amblone software as above, I'm finding that even turning hardware acceleration off, doesn't allow the Amblone software, to detect the video in order to output the appropriate colours.

I've stumbled across this thread, and although the boblight addon seems to provide similar end results, I'm extremely confused at what I need to do in order to get my Amblone hardware working.

So to re-cap, I'm running Amblone hardware (ardiuno mega), Win7 32 bit and XBMC Eden....can someone confirm what I need to install or edit in order to acheive the end result we're all after please?

Thanks in advance and apologies once again if I've asked a question that's been covered, however from what I've read, I need to run a Linux server with a boblight deamon in order for this addon to work?
(2012-11-22, 23:27)quixand Wrote: I mean, Xbmc separates it's sources into Movies, TV Shows, or music. I'd think it would be pretty easy to include an option of WHEN to use boblight. Like...activate boblight only on Movies, Tvshows, both etc. Ya know?

The question is not what XBMC does. The question is what information is accessable via python addons ...
(2012-10-25, 15:26)regnets Wrote: Hi,

i already read that at the moment the XBMC Boblight Addon isn't working on Raspberry Pi.

I would really like to help but i dont know where to start and what to do.

I would really appreciate boblight on raspberry pi.

What is the matter? Is it the omxplayer which can't be "read" from the addon? How about the boblight without the addon via the x11 way? Does this also not work?

Thanks in advance

regnets

(2012-11-01, 01:05)Compizfox Wrote: Is there any way to get this working with XBMC on the Raspberry Pi (XBian)?

I compiled boblight and everything with succes, and the static lighting mode in the XBMC plugin works OK.
However, in movie mode it only flashes every now and then.

I read that it's because the usual frame capture method in XBMC doesn't work on the Pi. But is there any workaround?

Is it possible to get an answer to this?

Thank you in advance

regnets
What compizfox wrote. Head over to the RBPI forum if you need more discussion to that (cause its unrelated to the addon - its a thing of the renderbackend used...)
So where can i find the discussion in the rbpi forum? I would really like to do something, to get it to work. Sadly i have no clue what i'm talking about.

Is there a name of the renderbackend? So i could get some more information about it?

What needs to be changed so that the boblight plugin would work?

The only discussions i could find are about a boblight backend on the raspberry pi and boblight in raspbmc which is not working
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewto...6&p=215817
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewto...1&p=161669

Honestly...I can't see the Raspberry Pi doing 1080p AND boblight with its hardware.

As I expected, it currently can only do a one color backlight. The Pi just isn't powerful enough to do all that.
Regnets i mean our own rbpi forum...

http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=166

Just post a new thread there if its not already discussed...
  • 38(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Official XBMC boblight Addon3