Setting Custom button for XBMC on a remote control
HellO!

I've buyed days ago a remote control (which should be Universal Controller?!?!), and I'd like to set a button for start XBMC (on Windows 7, 64-bit system).

I tried to read this tutorial, but to be honest I can't know the LIRC name/button names; so I think this tutorial is not what I'm looking for.
Instead, what I know is which combination is pressed by clicking on that button on remote control : CTRL+ALT+D.

So, is there a plugins for XBMC for configure this button to the event "Open XBMC" or I need to use a third part software? (like hotkeyman).
I really avoid to use additional software : if I could setting this on XBMC will be awesome!

Can you help me? Thanks for your time!
markzzz Wrote:HellO!

So, is there a plugins for XBMC for configure this button to the event "Open XBMC" or I need to use a third part software? (like hotkeyman).
I really avoid to use additional software : if I could setting this on XBMC will be awesome!

Can you help me? Thanks for your time!

Are you using the Windows version of XBMC or XBMC Live? From the Windows desktop you would need a program like EventGhost(free) to setup an action that loads XBMC when you press the specified button. An XBMC plugin isn't going to do anything prior to XBMC loading but there is an addon for configuring a MCE remote in Windows. LIRC is the Linux program that's used to configure remote controls so unless you're using the Linux version or XBMC Live it has nothing to do with XBMC.
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
Oh, I see! I'm on XBMC for windows (not live).
I already try to use software with EventGhost (or, as I said, HotKeyMan) but I'd prefer to setup directly XBMC with remote control.

So this is not possible? Neither editing Keyboard.xml and settings a sort of CTRL+ALT+D to the Open commands? (or somethings like it...).
I think that there are some shortcuts on XBMC (which to be honest I don't know now) : for example, is there a default shortcut hotkey to open XBMC with keyboards?
If yes, maybe I should just edit this combination to my own (CTRL+ALT+D) : what can you say about?

Dobyken Wrote:but there is an addon for configuring a MCE remote in Windows.
Are you talking about Windows Media Center? Which plugins? Anyway, I've not a MCE remote control, is just a simple remote control (not oriented to the microsoft one, like X10).
We need to know what model of remote control you are using. Is it one of the remotes reviewed in http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Control_Reviews

In Windows remotes either use the eHome driver or they send keypresses i.e. they emulate a multimedia keyboard. If you grab Showkey from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/ you can use this to see if your remote is sending keypresses. If so, just choose what button you want to start XBMC and set that keypress as the hotkey for the XBMC icon.

You shouldn't need Eventghost or any other software.

Have a look at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi..._with_XBMC for basic info on using remote controls.

JR
markzzz Wrote:So this is not possible? Neither editing Keyboard.xml and settings a sort of CTRL+ALT+D to the Open commands? (or somethings like it...).
I think that there are some shortcuts on XBMC (which to be honest I don't know now) : for example, is there a default shortcut hotkey to open XBMC with keyboards?
If yes, maybe I should just edit this combination to my own (CTRL+ALT+D) : what can you say about?

Are you talking about Windows Media Center? Which plugins? Anyway, I've not a MCE remote control, is just a simple remote control (not oriented to the microsoft one, like X10).

Think about it...if XBMC isn't running how can it see any keystrokes or remote button presses? There are no background XBMC services running when XBMC itself is not active. Although it's possible to assign a hotkey in Windows to open XBMC why is that any easier than clicking an Icon on the screen? There are ways to get a keypress into a remote but it's very hard to program it for ctl-alt functions. It would take something like a Harmony remote that you can program through software.

For the remote control to load a program something has to be watching for a button press. EventGhost is what does the watching. You can then tell it to perform some type of action like start a program. The type of remote control is not as important as the type of receiver. You can use all types of universal remotes with a computer as long as it either has a code setting for Media Center or can learn commands from another remote. I was surprised to learn that even my Directv remote has a MCE code. The MCE addon is only for Media Center type receivers and is used to configure the buttons to XBMC actions.
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
jhsrennie Wrote:We need to know what model of remote control you are using. Is it one of the remotes reviewed in http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Control_Reviews
It is called "PC Remote Controller", made in china! A chepeast controller Smile

jhsrennie Wrote:If you grab Showkey from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/ you can use this to see if your remote is sending keypresses.
Yes, it dialogs very well on XBMC. The only key that I'd like to have and there isn't is, as said, the one for starting up XBMC.

Testing with ShowKey 2.0 I get <f4 mod="ctrl,alt">Notification(Key, f4, 3)</f4>

jhsrennie Wrote:If so, just choose what button you want to start XBMC and set that keypress as the hotkey for the XBMC icon.
It is what I need to do! But I don't know how to do it Smile Can you help me?

jhsrennie Wrote:You shouldn't need Eventghost or any other software.
I hope on this Smile
markzzz Wrote:Testing with ShowKey 2.0 I get <f4 mod="ctrl,alt">Notification(Key, f4, 3)</f4>

Right click the XBMC icon (either the icon on the desktop or the one in the Start meu will do) and from the shortcut menu choose "Properties". In the "XBMC Properties" dialog click in the "Shortcut key" field. Press the button on the remote and you should see "CTRL + ALT + F4" appear. Now click OK.

What this does is set ctrl-alt-F4 as the hotkey for that icon, i.e. pressing ctrl-alt-F4 is the same as double-clicking the icon. You should find that pressing the button on the remote, or pressing ctrl-alt-F4 on the keyboard, will start XBMC.

JR
You ROCK! Thanks man, is what I needed! Thanks again Smile
Personally, I've found that using a key combination in XBMC shortcut properties is not reliable - sometimes it stops working for no obvious reason. That's why I use this program: http://download.cnet.com/Quick-Cliq/3000...24148.html
It is more flexible and allows to assign almost every key combination.
E.g. I've set ctrl+alt+b for my generic PC remote (probably the same as mentioned above) and shift+X for my mini wireless keyboard to launch XBMC, and it works fine.
BTW, each of the 4 colored buttons on the Generic Chinese PC remote actually sends 3 combinations at the same time: the green "music" key sends ctrl+alt+A, ctrl+alt+1 and ctrl+alt+f1 and so on...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting Custom button for XBMC on a remote control0