Cannot install this beauty!
Cannot install XMC Live on new PC (via USB stick). Tried different versions, tried unebootin, tried lili, tried first burning to CD. I end up with cursor in left top or CD telling me I have an outdated CD player (in new PC?), or end up with >grub. Please help me out. I just sold my Asrock 330HT and there I had everything working nicely. Any tips? Or manual (that I did not use yet)?
Start off with a newer version of linux, say the ubuntu 11.10 mini iso, then try installing xbmc from there.
My PC has windows 7 64 bit. I want to run XBMC Live from USB at with my previous Asrock 330HT. Should I install the 11.10 mini iso on the USB and from there also include XBMC somehow?
hansie16 Wrote:My PC has windows 7 64 bit. I want to run XBMC Live from USB at with my previous Asrock 330HT. Should I install the 11.10 mini iso on the USB and from there also include XBMC somehow?

Sounds like you should stay way from Linux. You know you can run XBMC from inside Windows right?
binaryjay Wrote:Sounds like you should stay way from Linux. You know you can run XBMC from inside Windows right?

I know that, but why can I not run XMBC Live from USB anymore?
You should be able to install to a thumbdrive from the XBMC LiveCD.

1)Download the Live version
2) Burn to disk
3) Boot to the burned disk
4) Choose install
5) Pick your (plugged in) USB thumbdrive
6) Huh??
7) Profit!
nothing to see here but trolls
Quote:As been suggested on here before the current ver of live is getting a little long in the tooth so new hardware can have issues.
Wanna actually back that up?

Openelec is fine, but it has its own set of issues.
pumkinut Wrote:You should be able to install to a thumbdrive from the XBMC LiveCD.

1)Download the Live version
2) Burn to disk
3) Boot to the burned disk
4) Choose install
5) Pick your (plugged in) USB thumbdrive
6) Huh??
7) Profit!

Thank you all. I will try (I think again) via burning to disk and then install to USB and report back then. I hope my hardware is not too new (aaahhh!). And perhaps give Openelec another try. I'll report back.Wink
whatevea
Back up your assertion that Dharma Live is too old to work with current hardware.

GG reading comprehension.
no point .........
Yes, Live (Dharma) is a year old, and guess what? I have it running on a Zotac mini-ITX motherboard with integrated nVidia GPU (Lucid), an ATV1 (Hardy), an HP SFF PC with a P4 and nVidia GT210 card (Maverick), and my Asus Sandy Bridge i5 motherboard with an nVidia 560GTX GPU (Oneiric), all without issue. I also have it running on my main PC and the Zotac under Windows 7.

I also have a thumbdrive install of Openelec that I run on the HP box with the GT210. This is the only install that I have problems with. I have audio over HDMI working, but Openelec will not kill the sound coming from the Intel audio codec onboard the motherboard. Normally this would not be an issue, but since there's and internal speaker, I always hear it, for the time being at least until I rip out the speaker. So, I stand by what I originally wrote. XBMC Live (Dharma) is just as capable as Openelec, and Openelec has its own set of issues.

One thing I made pains to make sure of was to avoid AMD/ATI video chipsets, as their Linux driver support still pretty much blows. I'm glad, really I am, that people have been able to get DXVA and VAAPI support working for ATI and Intel GPUs. I'd rather stick with a known, and proven, commodity with nVidia.

Quote:If your really interested in the issue's with some of the current hardware use the SEARCH function..I got better things to do ....
Translation:
I made a baseless claim, and am too lazy to back it up when pressed to.
Ive removed my posts happy now Huh?
Jezzzus it was a fecking opinion based on post's here and my experiences... ffs let being helpful be more important than right...Im outa here have better things to do
Sorry, guys, I have tried the route via CD installing on USB stick; I had to do it on my old laptop (otherwise CD player was not recognised) (with internet cable connected (wifi is not ok)!). The USB stick was usable on my old laptop (starting up XBMC nicely). I then tried the stick on my new desktop machine (also Nvidia card) and the startup looked ok at first, but quickly hangs again with a white cursos in top left corner. I am getting frustrated really, because I always liked the XBMC Live (somehow giving nicer colors on my TV than the Windows version). Is the only route trying Openelec? I will try this weekend.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot install this beauty!0