• 169(current)
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
Dumb question: this is for Linux builds only, correct?
AMD FX8350 8-Core
12 GB RAM
ASUS M5A99FX Mobo
ASUS R9 270 x2 in Crossfire for gaming only
500GB Crucial BX100 SSD
1x1TB for Recorded TV
2x2TB for TV Shows, spanned
2x4TB for Movies, spanned
SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime Tuner
Logitech Harmony 300 Remote

Win7 64 w/ SP1
Kodi 15.1
ServerWMC
Sabnzbd
Sonarr
CouchPotato
(2013-08-18, 21:44)LongbowFoSho Wrote: Dumb question: this is for Linux builds only, correct?
errr yes.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Catalyst 13.8 beta2 is out: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd-cat...x86_64.zip
Any volunteers?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2013-08-20, 07:45)fritsch Wrote: Catalyst 13.8 beta2 is out: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd-cat...x86_64.zip
Any volunteers?

i will be testing this afternoon.. just waiting for a new case for my amd machine.
(2013-08-20, 08:32)laric Wrote:
(2013-08-20, 07:45)fritsch Wrote: Catalyst 13.8 beta2 is out: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd-cat...x86_64.zip
Any volunteers?

i will be testing this afternoon.. just waiting for a new case for my amd machine.

OK, I wait for your tests before starting mine...
@Claudio.Sjo: That's lazy ;-)

Just use the same howto for installing 13.6 and use the 13.8 beta2 files to create the deb packages.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Using the new 13.8 Beta2 on my E-350 system, I can quote myself:

(2013-07-24, 19:25)MTroi Wrote: just tried the driver on my E-350 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS system, one CPU is always at 100% watching a 1080p movie, the other one was usually below 50%. The Movie was watchable, but the CPU was usually around 20% for both CPUs with the recommended driver.
(2013-08-21, 09:39)MTroi Wrote: Using the new 13.8 Beta2 on my E-350 system, I can quote myself:

(2013-07-24, 19:25)MTroi Wrote: just tried the driver on my E-350 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS system, one CPU is always at 100% watching a 1080p movie, the other one was usually below 50%. The Movie was watchable, but the CPU was usually around 20% for both CPUs with the recommended driver.

So, let's wait for the next beta, or even better, for an official version Confused
We wait since Octoboer 2012 :-) (if we don't count the hacked togehter 13.6 catalyst with 13.8 amdxvba.so)
Been a while since I posted in this thread, so thought I'd give a status update (+ a possible bug report, below)

As you might remember I was using Intel HD4000 with the Xvba branch. After the latest Intel driver (Aug 7th), minor X-tweaking and updates, + a change to /etc/environment(!), I now have a nearly-100% smooth-running setup. The video is nearly flawless using VAAPI acceleration and rarely goes over 10% on any of the cores (4). So a major^2 improvement compared to last time! Also have subs and audio sync + remote working.

Big kudos to the team for an excellent movie-watching experience! It is _nearly_ identical to watching the discs on a dedicated player (Oppo + PS3). Also love the way forced subtitles are handled (and the way they are rendered). Certainly did not expect that aspect of it to be identical to a standalone player!

I did however run into two issues lately, one is the PCM 5.1 (+FLAC 5.1) resampling when using Video Clock (resample audio) as the sync option with S/pdif audio out. This issue should hopefully be fixed though (thanks for the info @fritsch!)

Another more important issue, however, is that XBMC has started showing a tendency to crash on certain MKVs (which are verified as working on other players (VLC; MplayerX), as well as after being scanned with mkvmerge for errors). This curious since XBMC basically never crashed before and I am hoping it is due to something I might have missed. Downgrading XBMC did not help.

So I'm really stumped as to why this happens, as I've not found any clear indications in the debug output –

http://pastebin.com/eDm8YbPH (EDIT: original log was removed for some reason)

XBMC then bails out with a segmentation fault. This was happening with two MKVs which I know are working, and I am wondering if it is due to some metadata-parsing problem(?). One of the videos which fail I already watched halfway through the day before, and the other crashes semi-randomly.
When this occurred I tested all other MKVs which I recently ripped (around 7-8), and they all work without issues.

Then, when switching back to one of the 'problematic' rips (still in the same XBMC instance) it crashes without fail. I will re-rip one of these to see if it is really caused by MKV corruption (which seems strange, as I can't detect problems with it elsewhere nor can mkvtoolnix)

It might also be caused by a xrandr issue. When XBMC crashes and is re-launched it is constantly running the GUI at 24Hz (vs. 60Hz) unless the system is rebooted. (btw., running the GUI at the same rate as (most) movies is a benefit IMO, since the movies instantly start without having the resolution switched beforehand.)

Sorry for the rather long post. I did 9-10 tests on this yesterday (w/ 3-4 reboots as well), and the issue persists. I went as far back as daily build from late June to rule out any recent changes causing this, but it behaves the same on all versions tested.
I talked about playing Flac 5.1 via LPCM (no resampling involved) and paplayer (so audio).
Hai, im givin some featback also ..

Im running multiple systems, al the frodo line.

the ubuntu version 12.04, kernel 3.2.0 the lts version, flgrx rebuild from quantal ( 9.000) , works perfect.
idle cpuload about 5-10%, playing 1080p 20-25% ( at 800Mhz) , ,E350/USB3 Asrock.

Just installed ubuntu 12.04 on asrock ht330, upgraded to kernel 3.8.0-29 ( lts release) and installed nvidia-319 driver.
side note, after the nvidia driver install, reboot your system, the nvidia driver installs some blacklist rules for example nouveau.
after reboot, works perfectly.
and ubuntu 13.04 , on aopen digital engine DE45Pro, Intel 2.0Ghz core2duo, I915 GMA driver.
for this one i pulled the latest intel drivers with x264 hw support. and used the edgers ppa.
It flikkers in menu somethimes, but playback is ok. the Planet earth live bird part runs almos perfect, at 20% cpu load
Al computers run, the XVBA release ( frodo 12.2 ) with mysql backend for the library. and adjusted to settings to the system ofcourse.

so, im a happy person, thank you for this xbmc release.

I will go tryout kernel 3.8 with newer flgrx drivers. which is recommended for kernel 3.8 atm?
Last time i tried 3.8 on my E350 it didnt boot, so i want to be prepaired better this time.
(2013-08-22, 12:53)fritsch Wrote: I talked about playing Flac 5.1 via LPCM (no resampling involved) and paplayer (so audio).
Unsure what you mean. This is for output on S/pdif, so it cannot send multichannel PCM and it has to be resampled (re-encoded) to Dolby Digital.
I thought the commit request was supposed to address it by avoiding buffer underruns?
The commit fixes 5.1 LPCM over HDMI.

I got confused for your lengthy text. Please retry with the latest version, when the rebase has happened. 5.1 Flac will be send as AC3 then - so no resample will work either - as it is a transcode codec. But yeah - report back after the new version with all the fixes is in the ppa.
(2013-08-22, 13:09)thctlo Wrote: I will go tryout kernel 3.8 with newer flgrx drivers. which is recommended for kernel 3.8 atm?
Last time i tried 3.8 on my E350 it didnt boot, so i want to be prepaired better this time.

Sadly none. Stay at your current version. All fglrx drivers since then have bugs.
  • 169(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs23