• 178(current)
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
I sent an email to oibaf, the ubuntu new oss drivers maintainer, and asked him if he could add those patches. This would make installation for all much easier.

Stay tuned. Finally big things are happening :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2013-09-23, 07:10)fritsch Wrote: I sent an email to oibaf, the ubuntu new oss drivers maintainer, and asked him if he could add those patches. This would make installation for all much easier.

Stay tuned. Finally big things are happening :-)

I stay tuned.
If you wish me to run tests on my development machine, that is the iMac, just let me know.
I'd be really happy to give my 10 cents.
So much from AMD so quickly, is all this due to the Steambox?
Intel Core i5-11500, ASRock B560M-ITX/ac, 240GB SSD + 4TB  Western Digital Blue, Arch Linux, mythtv 31+fixes + TBS 6205 QUAD FREEVIEW DVB-T2
Fabio Pedretti (oibaf) was fast: https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/graphics-drivers/

So for general usage, all can be done via ppa:

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-testing
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install libg3dvl-mesa libvdpau1

Make sure to run at least 3.11.1 kernel with the addition of radeon.audio=1 and radeon.dpm=1 to the kernel command line.

If you want the 7.1 LPCM audio, make sure to install the kernel I linked above or build yourself with the two patches mentioned.

Edit: It is currently rebuilt - so wait some minutes: https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/gr...ld/5042388
Announcement: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.ph...post358907
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hey fritsch,
looking forward to try the OSS implemenatation this evening. Any advices for the video settings?
Hi all, I'm following with excitement the latest updates, great work!!!

I have a HTPC based upon an AMD E-350 and I would like to help testing these new releases, but without replacing my working Frodo-based installation.
I was thinking about an installation on a USB stick: ubuntu (12.04, 13.04, 13.10?), plus some ppa repo, what do you think? What do you suggest?
Sort answer - It works great Smile

Long answer
Besides following all the above directions one should also set <usevdpaumixer> to TRUE otherwise video will look plain ugly without it with all the rough edges.

There are also two others that I have disabled. I am not to sure as of what they do or should I enable them too
<vdpauUpscalingLevel>false</vdpauUpscalingLevel>
<vdpau_allow_xrandr>false</vdpau_allow_xrandr>

On high bitrate content [details below] I saw on one of my videos that it works perfectly and then all the sudden playback will pause with video being buffered, reports of of V/A out of sync errors until it gets buffered back again then errors will quickly disappear. I do not know reason for the buffering as this is local video on SSD drive and CPU use does not ever go over 25% on any of the two cores. Later on I will check if it has any thing to do with this modeline I introduced from here for 24p videos http://paste.ubuntu.com/6142741/

XMBC Log: http://pastebin.com/FAJanKfL

System:
AMD E350
kernel 3.11.1 + new audio patches + one audio patch reverted (according to instructions)
ffmpeg 1.2.git http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=...elease/1.2 + openelec patches https://github.com/vicbitter/OpenELEC.tv...atches/1.2
mesa master git + deathsimple radeon patches including interop
xbmc FernetMenta master git

Video details:
General
Complete name The Matrix (1999).mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 1
File size : 7.95 GiB
Duration : 2h 16mn
Overall bit rate : 8 347 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2007-06-26 16:44:24
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.0.2 ('You're My Flame') built on Feb 21 2007 23:40:55
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 8 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 7 704 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 800 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.209
Stream size : 7.18 GiB (90%)
Writing library : x264 core 54 svn-635M
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-4:-4 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=6 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=4,6 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=2 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=7704 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / zones / aq=1:0.3:15.0
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_AC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 640 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 624 MiB (8%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Yeah - i am really happy with all of it. A little to go, that the Interop can also go into mesa.

Btw. there is no need to build external ffmpeg. Fernetmentas master git has all that is needed, including the referenced patch in this forum.
I've also been waiting for flawless driver from AMD for two years now, and as there doesn't seem to be one coming in the near future and there being now a viable alternative in the OSS driver I decided to take a leap of faith with it.

So, for the background, I begun with system originally installed from some XBMCbuntu with added PPA wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-frodo (used to be wsnipex/xbmc-xvba until Frodo specific one was created), running on AMD A8-3850 based hardware connected via HDMI to a Panasonic TV. Audio output is straight 2.0 HDMI to the TV. I control the setup with the TV remote (CEC through Pulse-Eight USB-CEC adapter) and an iMON infrared remote.

These are the steps I took, not necessarily in this exact order though:
  • Purged Catalyst
  • Installed 3.11.1 kernel from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mai...1.1-saucy/, no patches mentioned by fritsch
  • Added radeon.dpm=1 radeon.audio=1 to grub defaults
  • Replaced wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-frodo with xbmc-xvba-testing
  • Added PPA oibaf/graphics-drivers
  • apt-get update && dist-upgrade
  • Installed xserver-xorg-video-radeon and vdpauinfo
  • Adjusted xorg.conf for the driver change
  • Disabled XvBA and enabled VDPAU

Now, I had mostly usable system as expected, by my brief testing I've concluded that almost everything appears to work at least as good as earlier with Frodo + XvBA + fglrx. Almost everything.

Key presses from either of the remote controller randomly trigger a double action, this did not occur before.

Then, there is something strange that appears to concern video modes and audio. From what I tested, videos with 25.000 frame rate seem to work, except that it seems to use the default 50 frame mode. This doesn't seem to cause any problems and I'm not quite sure if it worked any different earlier, so not really a problem.

But 23.976 frame rate videos switch the video mode to an actual 23.976 mode. And while playing a video in this mode, whenever there is enough loudness in the sound, there is a clear and regular 'clicking' sound mixed in. This is not audible in silent or near silent parts, only when there is actual sound in the video. If I disable 'Adjust display refresh rate to match video' option, the video mode no longer changes from default 50 refresh rate and the clicking doesn't appear any more on videos it does when rate adjust is enabled. I also tried manually setting the video mode to 23.976 during playback with rate adjust disabled and video playing at default 50 and the clicking started.

Settings I use are:
  • Vertical blank sync - Always enabled
  • Adjust display refresh rate to match video - Always
  • Sync playback to display - Enabled
  • A/V sync method - Video clock (Drop/dupe audio)

None of the other settings seem to affect the clicking.
I briefly tested some video files I knew to be working to rule out a corrupted file causing it, I'll get a debug log tomorrow if I have time. Much too tired to think at the moment.

Anyway, other than those, and some wildly fluctuating fps while in the menu causing occasional stutters (related to double key actions?), the system appears to work fine.
Bye bye, Catalyst Cool
i get the clicking too with 'Adjust display refresh rate to match video' enabled.
Intel Core i5-11500, ASRock B560M-ITX/ac, 240GB SSD + 4TB  Western Digital Blue, Arch Linux, mythtv 31+fixes + TBS 6205 QUAD FREEVIEW DVB-T2
I told that before - that was the patch, that is to be reverted :-)
Hi I cannot get it working properly Sad.
when I run:
Code:
dmesg | egrep 'drm|radeon'
I get the following error:
Code:
drm: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel

Is there something I did wrong or forgotten?
You just have fglrx installed

btw. next time: complete dmesg or none ;-)
True but I uninstalled that one.

Is this better?
Code:
[    0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.11.1 root=UUID=b54f03e6-85a8-437f-85ae-f045ac0cde41 ro nomodeset usbcore.autosuspend=-1 video=uvesafb:mode_option=1366x768-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap splash quiet radeon.dpm=1 radeon.audio=1 vt.handoff=7
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.11.1 root=UUID=b54f03e6-85a8-437f-85ae-f045ac0cde41 ro nomodeset usbcore.autosuspend=-1 video=uvesafb:mode_option=1366x768-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap splash quiet radeon.dpm=1 radeon.audio=1 vt.handoff=7
[    1.847668] drm: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
[    1.851395] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[    1.916956] [drm] VGACON disable radeon kernel modesetting.
[    1.916961] [drm] radeon userspace modesetting enabled.
[    1.918394] [drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 1 (10.10.2010).
[    1.918398] [drm] No driver support for vblank timestamp query.
[    1.918401] [drm] Initialized radeon 1.33.0 20080528 for 0000:00:01.0 on minor 0
Quote:nomodeset

Are you kidding me?
  • 178(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs23