• 30(current)
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
this is a little bit off-topic, sorry!
i´ve problems with USB3.0 and want to try the 3.2 kernel version instead of the actual installed 3.0!
is this recommendable or will i get trouble with the proprietary amd drivers?

can i easy change back to the old kernel if i have trouble with the new?

(2012-03-14, 14:07)m.bluemle Wrote: this is a little bit off-topic, sorry!
i´ve problems with USB3.0 and want to try the 3.2 kernel version instead of the actual installed 3.0!
is this recommendable or will i get trouble with the proprietary amd drivers?

can i easy change back to the old kernel if i have trouble with the new?

Its not something we officially recommend, but it should work ok. As long as you don't purge the old kernel, going back is as easy as selecting it from the grub menu.
Could you try changing /etc/default/grub to look like:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=nomsi"

afterwards: sudo update-grub

and retry?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
i have tried this, but it doesn´t work! ubuntu has identified my usb3.0 hub/chip and also recognizes, when i plug in my external hd, but then it gives me an error: unable to enumerate.... -error 71
it is a ntfs formatted hd. i read that there are some problems with the linux ntfs driver and it can also be a reason for usb3.0 trouble.
(2012-03-14, 16:07)m.bluemle Wrote: error: unable to enumerate.... -error 71

exactly this bug should be fixed. Did you run: sudo update-grub correctly?

First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
sure! but i will give this a try again when i´m at home!
Will this install work with the newer AMD A6/A8 APU's with integrated Radeon HD6550D?
@fritsh: same issue again with pci=nomsi, error 71

i tried to update the kernel to 3.2 but it doesn´t work!

i did it like in many ho-to´s i found on the internet:

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:francisbrwn9/kernels
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

but it showed my nothing to upgrade! the ppa is added correctly! what do i wrong?
i´m using xubuntu 11.10

anyone an idea?
(2012-03-14, 19:04)flymods Wrote: Will this install work with the newer AMD A6/A8 APU's with integrated Radeon HD6550D?

Yes. It will work.

(2012-03-14, 20:56)fritsch Wrote:
(2012-03-14, 19:04)flymods Wrote: Will this install work with the newer AMD A6/A8 APU's with integrated Radeon HD6550D?

Yes. It will work.

What is the best place to start (as in OS version) Ubuntu 11.10 minimal? and then follow the guide in post #1? I don't have a lot of Linux experience (I'm comfortable in cli from basic to intermediate stuff) I usually just run the latest xbmc live however I just purchased a new AMD A8 APU system and am noticing the live betas for Eden have video tearing issues. Everyone says just use windows but I hate windows and really want to get this working without purchasing a video card thats more supported by the live builds. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
@flymods

Just try the howto from page 1. It has worked out > 1000 times :-)
We will help you if it does not get any further. For your hardware you can try catalyst 12.2 instead of the descriped 12.1, just adapt the commands written there. And ommit the latest step concerning the lightdm workaround for the beginning.

If you have any further problems, just join #xbmc-xvba.
Hi,

I Installed xbmc as per steps in page one. Only difference is i installed catalyst 11.11 by downloading and installed by double clicking.

- screen is black in full screen when xbmc opens unless i press"\" to minimize and then again to maximize.
- All the addons(icefilm or navi-x or others) after selecting a movie , only sound can be heard but no video. If i go back to homescreen i can see the bar with all the video buttons(back/pause/stop/forward etc) and a button for full screen which if i click i get full black screen with the control buttons at bottom.

I also got an error message relating to fglrx during installation of xbmc. The screenshot of the error during installation is attached. could not find flgrx-uninstall.log in my computer anywhere as mentioned in the screenshot.
Zotac AD02 E-350
8GB RAM /360 GB HDD
@XBMCnew:
From the log I see errors while doing stuff with dkms, the kernel modul building system. Also the logs say, that fglrx-updates is installed from the ubuntu repository. I think you messed up the fglrx installation by doubleclicking and installing a sh script above another debian package - now kernel does not match userspace or some important files have been overwritten. Please follow the howto - if you can start a new :-)

@flymods:
If you are still searching the link for 12.2. It is here:
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-dr...x86_64.run
(2012-03-14, 19:58)m.bluemle Wrote: @fritsh: same issue again with pci=nomsi, error 71

i tried to update the kernel to 3.2 but it doesn´t work!

i did it like in many ho-to´s i found on the internet:

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:francisbrwn9/kernels
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

but it showed my nothing to upgrade! the ppa is added correctly! what do i wrong?
i´m using xubuntu 11.10

anyone an idea?

For some reason there is only a kernel for precise (ubuntu 12.4) in this ppa. Thats why you don't get any updates.

(2012-03-15, 09:36)fritsch Wrote: @XBMCnew:
From the log I see errors while doing stuff with dkms, the kernel modul building system. Also the logs say, that fglrx-updates is installed from the ubuntu repository. I think you messed up the fglrx installation by doubleclicking and installing a sh script above another debian package - now kernel does not match userspace or some important files have been overwritten. Please follow the howto - if you can start a new :-)

@flymods:
If you are still searching the link for 12.2. It is here:
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-dr...x86_64.run

I found it last night thanks!

What was the ATI link you sent me in IRC to post on their website requesting H264 1.5 + support? I'm finding a lot of my content is >1.5 Sad
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs23