• 175(current)
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
I was suspecting that...
let's revert to 13.6
(2013-09-20, 07:30)Claudio.Sjo Wrote:
(2013-09-19, 15:42)wsnipex Wrote: normal intel dual cores have a total max TDP of 55W, mobile or T models <35, low power mobiles <17W...

I mean the total budget.
I've a fanless chassis that accepts up to 75W TDP in total.
This fits well with Fusion A10-5600, but I doubt that I can fit a similar intel solution.
Graphic card would need to be mounted horizontally and using pipelines to connect to the chassis,
and such card doesn't exist as far as I know.
I use HTPC for gaming as well.

this is no problem at all with intel.
On Linux, even a Celeron 847 with double 1.1 ghz can do more than that A10 :-)

- higher video resultion
- more throughput 1080p60 is no problem
- more audio codecs including dts-hd, truehd, lpcm 7.1
- more video codecs: mpeg2, mpeg4, h264, vc1
- Better deinterlacing (MADI avaialable in staging) (you might need the IVB celeron for this).

Convinced? All for just 18W TDP.

You get the complete PC for just 150€ :-) including SSD
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Oh - I overlooked the "gaming aspect": With AMD drivers 13.8 even steam got killed - same memleak we currently see with xbmc ;-)

So: No gaming, no video playback, no correct sound ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2013-09-20, 08:18)fritsch Wrote: Oh - I overlooked the "gaming aspect": With AMD drivers 13.8 even steam got killed - same memleak we currently see with xbmc ;-)

So: No gaming, no video playback, no correct sound ...

No, I'm not convinced yet.
As long as intel HD graphic is so poor, I'd need a graphic card (nvidia), and this puts a lot of mechanical requirements on my HTPC.
This is the work http://www.hd-plex.com/forum/showthread.php?t=983
and this is the latest HW fix http://www.hd-plex.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1082

An horizontal, fanless graphic card is an headache, furthermore I'd need to exploit the left side for cooling, thus creating something
like pipelines. Too much for now.
Yeah, but hey. What worth has gaming, if you cannot watch a single video with correct sound? And every new driver breaks your system? (or makes steam unusable)
(2013-09-20, 09:08)fritsch Wrote: Yeah, but hey. What worth has gaming, if you cannot watch a single video with correct sound? And every new driver breaks your system? (or makes steam unusable)

HTPC is lubuntu 12.04 and has mixed drivers 13.8/13.6, my old Onkyo is fed via TOSLINK and I was capable of watching all my video,
some DVD are not perfect, it looks like they have deinterlacing problems, but nothing that is really a disaster.
Just smile!
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-cat...24312.html
Christian König of AMD (ckoenig) just finished gl interop implementation for OSS vdpau. Amazing Job - bye bye fglrx :-)

Edit: he takes gratulations in #radeon
That are amazing news!!

Is there hope for xbmc and amd graphics hardware?
wow great news, many thanks AMD oss guys.
Intel Core i5-11500, ASRock B560M-ITX/ac, 240GB SSD + 4TB  Western Digital Blue, Arch Linux, mythtv 31+fixes + TBS 6205 QUAD FREEVIEW DVB-T2
(2013-09-20, 14:25)fritsch Wrote: Christian König of AMD (ckoenig) just finished gl interop implementation for OSS vdpau. Amazing Job - bye bye fglrx :-)

This is great news! Nevertheless, are you serious about ditching fglrx?

I happily am running AMD E-350 with fglrx for quite some time now (even VAAPI worked for me) and I'm not interested in wasting half my resources on just running OSS video drivers. Even not with the added HD-audio.
You won't get any support for any binary fglrx blob from me anymore. I am fed up - I wasted 2 years in keeping a broken thingy alive.

Three days ago we got into a heavy technical clinch with the OSS people and three days after the technical difficulties were discussed and solved. This is the way I want to work, not as it was before. Check this thread, scan the monthly fglrx releases and see the users, that were annoyed, dissatisfied and so on.

xvba-sdk is complete the same story. We even had to make it threadsafe in the beginning ... and it was never touched at all.
Great news! And good riddance. I've never come across an officially supoorted driver (from a big company) as bad as fglrx. I don't know if it's specific to the 7410m card on the Shuttle XS35GS, but I've never had a driver where I had to try every version (including betas) to find a version that was usable for the simple task of playing a video file - and that's after heroic efforts from fritsch and the other devs to make even that possible.

Whatever this means for end-users, I'm sure it's an improvement.
Great news!

But, I am, as simple stupid user, have question - what should I do on my system with ATI/AMD card, to have possibility use results of this amazing work?
  • 175(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs23