• 180(current)
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.ph...-kernel%29

According to "Vi0L0", the person who maintains the catalyst repos on arch linux.
The real problem here is, that AMD did not get support for stable kernel 3.10 and not for 3.11 out of the box. Therefore people had to patch there stuff.

What I still don't understand is: fglrx 13.8 beta2 compiled on kernel 3.11 just fine without patching anything - so I don't understand that the mentioned patch should cause this.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
On gentoo had to downgrade to gentoo-sources3.9.11-r1 and now xbmc works VERY smooth!! With the blob drivers. Stay away from the =>3.10 kernel.
Smoothness was never a problem for us, if you look at this nearly one year old video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc10em9qQBI :-)

What a big problem was back in the fglrx / xvba times, was those breakages with every new drivers. New Kernel, new xorg, you could directly see your setup breaking.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
for all those that had problems with pause & resume I recommend syncing up with FernetMenta tree or using this patch https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/comm...0664fba12f
Seems to work quite a bit smother now Smile
It should be in wsnipex-xvba-testing as of today.
(2013-09-23, 13:16)ryszardzonk Wrote: System:
kernel 3.11.1 + new audio patches + one audio patch reverted (according to instructions)
ffmpeg 1.2.git http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=...elease/1.2 + openelec patches https://github.com/vicbitter/OpenELEC.tv...atches/1.2
mesa master git + deathsimple radeon patches including interop
xbmc FernetMenta master git

openSUSE Tumbleweed is on

kernel 3.11.1
ffmpeg 2.0.1
mesa 9.0.2
xbmc frodo stable
libdrm_radeon 2.4.42
x-server 1.13

Could I try the OSS driver with this?
If not, could you post the minimal versions needed?
And there was talk of starting a new thread, but I think no one did it...

Thx for the great xbmc-work!
Fusion E-350, 4 GB RAM, SSD, openSUSE Tumbleweed 64bit KDE, Mesa-10.2.3, latest stable Kernel, XBMC FernetMenta-Git
You need latest mesa, best is you build that one directly: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~deathsimple/mesa/log/ This is Christians Mesa Git. You will need to update libdrm, you will have to update xbmc frodo, or pick some relevant changes.

It seems pretty hard to get it done on opensuse.

Easiest is currently on Ubuntu 13.04 - i will rebuild mesa in some minutes - as oibaf is on hollidays and cannot build before monday :-)
(2013-09-25, 17:34)tomtomme Wrote: openSUSE Tumbleweed is on

kernel 3.11.1
ffmpeg 2.0.1
mesa 9.0.2
xbmc frodo stable
libdrm_radeon 2.4.42
x-server 1.13

Could I try the OSS driver with this?
If not, could you post the minimal versions needed?
And there was talk of starting a new thread, but I think no one did it...

Thx for the great xbmc-work!
I am not an expert on this and probably one of the developers would be more appropriate to give the right answer, but here is what I believe should be true

kernel - 3.10 & above for UVD implementation is enough, 3.11 adds DPM (dynamic power management), extra patches for 3.11 are for extended HDMI support (multichannel) and might make it into 3.12 might not.
libdrm 2.4.42 - I do not think this is mentioned anywhere are requirement and should be high enough to be compatible with mesa. This version is definitely ok
EDIT: scrach that. 2.4.46 might be nedded
x-server - probably 1.13 is OK. I use 1.14.3 and that definitely works
mesa - this needs to be development version that includes implementation of NV_vdpau_interop from http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~deathsimple/mesa/log/ which even official mesa git do not have yet so it might be some time before official SUSE package has that but I might be wrong here
ffmpeg - from what I know version 1.2 is used internally by XBMC and separate version is not needed. Reason I used system lilbrary is that I compile whole system by myself [Gentoo] and that it allowed to compile ffmpeg with --ffast-math while XBMC could be compiled with something more common like -O2. Hopefully it is a bit faster that way. Plus it is easier to add extra patches for ffmpeg where not only I do not have o recompile whole xbmc, just ffmpeg and it also makes it available system wide for other apps to use. Openelec patches where taken from FernetMenta tree of XBMC for XVBA and probably few other things. So if one wanted to use system ffmpeg had to add them to their build just like guys in openelec did.
XMBC that is mystery for me. Frodo stable might be OK as it had VDPAU support even prior to that, but would it work reliably with opensource radeon driver I do not know. Personally I think for now you need to have git version from previously mentioned FernetMenta tree for most up to date VDPAU implementation
Thumbs Up 
(2013-09-25, 18:08)fritsch Wrote: You need latest mesa, best is you build that one directly: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~deathsimple/mesa/log/ This is Christians Mesa Git. You will need to update libdrm, you will have to update xbmc frodo, or pick some relevant changes.

It seems pretty hard to get it done on opensuse.

Easiest is currently on Ubuntu 13.04 - i will rebuild mesa in some minutes - as oibaf is on hollidays and cannot build before monday :-)

mmmh - thx for the info - what a a pity
ubuntu is nice - last version I tested was 12.10. A good one. But I am 10 years on suse now and it feels like home. Kinda hard to switch.

Ubuntu 13.04 is on mesa 9.1, so what you mean must be a special ppa with an upgrade to mesa 9.3 dev - right?
openSUSE has something similar - a repository with precompiled new mesa versions. Right now its on mesa 9.2.0 (suse mesa repo)
In this repo Libdrm is already at 2.4.46.
openSUSE 13.1 will also ship all this at the end of november.
If mesa 9.3 is also released at the end of november, as planned, it might land in the above repo within the end of the year.

So now I have already a nice goal for the new year 2014 Big Grin
Getting my htpc completely OSS and finaly listen to HD-DTS and DolbyHD Smile Smile
Fusion E-350, 4 GB RAM, SSD, openSUSE Tumbleweed 64bit KDE, Mesa-10.2.3, latest stable Kernel, XBMC FernetMenta-Git
(2013-09-25, 18:42)tomtomme Wrote: Getting my htpc completely OSS and finaly listen to HD-DTS and DolbyHD Smile Smile

well I would love to hear confirmation on this that HD sound was not on the fritsch's list just yet even with patched kernel Wink

(2013-09-22, 21:37)fritsch Wrote: xbmc sound settings:
HDMI:
Speaker numbers 7.1 (5.1 or whatever)
E-AC3: enabled
AC3: enabled
DTS: Enabled
LPCM: Enabled
AAC: disabled
TrueHD: disabled
DTS-HD: disabled

Audio Device: HD-Audio Generic, HDMI
270 pages wow. Can anyone give me a brief update on whats going on? Are the first page instructions still correct?

Xbmcbuntu or ubuntu minimal?
yes - 1st page is still being maintained and to my knowledge ALWAYS up to date!
as long as the OSS stuff is not end user friendly, the howto sticks with flgrx and therefore is up to date.
(2013-09-25, 20:04)tomtomme Wrote: yes - 1st page is still being maintained and to my knowledge ALWAYS up to date!

Thank you sir. Windows is running great with xbmc, but I need some linux functionality...
  • 180(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs23