• 188(current)
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
Hi!

I am a little confused about to which ppa should i switch since there is new one specific for amd and ati.
I am using this one atm https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/...er=quantal and would like to switch to current one.
I have Zotac d2550 mini itx with nvidia gt 610 card.
I would like to switch to current build but would also like to have all the patches and fixes that Fernmenta implemented.
To which ppa should i switch for nvidia cards?

TNX
I am a little confused too, I am using http://ppa.launchpad.net/wsnipex/xbmc-xv...do/ubuntu/

Which basically means I have the code referred to in this thread, which is meant to have improved vdpau support as well as providing xvba. As I am also an nvidia user, I wanted best vdpau support but don't give a fig about xvba except on my laptop, which doesn't get serios xbmc use.

It is working for me, but not sure where to go for any updates though, or even if I need any!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
No need to be confused.

- Xvba was dropped. We don't develop it any further
- Vdpau rewrite was completely merged into mainline xbmc
- Mainline xbmc still uses SDL for Window Management. The builds here have that dropped.

Frodo btw. is old. Gotham has improved things a lot.

If you want all that fernetmenta has done and are not afraid of nightlies, use the xbmc-fernetmenta ppa by wsnipex. If you don't need the SDL drop, use team xbmc nightly. If you need a stable frodo stay on xbmc-xvba-frodo ... though I think gotham is far better than Frodo ever was, concerning Audio and Video.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
You mean this one for Nvidia and latest Gotham?
https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/...nta-master
Yes, exactly.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Forcing the use of OSS drivers seems to the worst idea ever IMHO. Values whole SteamOS push is opening up for people using linux for games, the newest generation of AMD APU's seems like a pretty good platform for a HTPC with gaming capabilities. However, the OSS drivers will not be up for this task at all.
i've played steam games just fine with the OSS r600 driver.
Intel Core i5-11500, ASRock B560M-ITX/ac, 240GB SSD + 4TB  Western Digital Blue, Arch Linux, mythtv 31+fixes + TBS 6205 QUAD FREEVIEW DVB-T2
what has SteamOS todo with XBMC? We get better support with the OSS drivers and we can look at the sources byself. And the OSS driver supports more (and older) cards then the binary driver...
greetings, Stephan

Yeah. xvba-sdk was not further developed by AMD since more than 2 years now. No driver since October 2012 was usable for a htpc as it could not keep vsync. This driver would not support new GPUs at all.

So, it was a dead end. Btw. it was not AMD did implement their API. It was us, solely on the linux planet, us. Install yourself xvba-va-driver and use vaapi, this is what AMD closed source department thinks is good enough for you. So you should use that.
(2014-01-12, 21:14)sraue Wrote: what has SteamOS todo with XBMC? We get better support with the OSS drivers and we can look at the sources byself. And the OSS driver supports more (and older) cards then the binary driver...

It has the potential of having more people play games on Linux (not necessarily on SteamOS), hence, it might end up making Linux more appealing to people building HTPCs they also intend playing games on.

But hey, if AMD have discontinued support for hardware accelerated video on Linux then I suppose that there's nothing much to do.
We hope, that fglrx gets abbondoned. And AMD supports the OSS devs even more. Then we would have rock solid video decoding and also games would run great on this open stack.
Can anyone tell me how to migrate my setup to mainline, i am an nvidia user. I followed this guide and i don't want to break stuff, so if it isn't possible i'll stay using my current setup. Is removing the xvba ppa, adding the mainline and just run 'aptitude update && aptitude full-upgrade' the way to go, or will that break stuff for sure?
first: backup your .xbmc directory
second:
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Is anything good coming from the newest ati drivers 14.01?
(2014-02-04, 14:51)Claudio.Sjo Wrote: Is anything good coming from the newest ati drivers 14.01?

I don't think any of the developers that are testing xvba anymore as it is no longer in the active codebase for xbmc.
Xvba feels like a deadend and has less features than the oss drivers.
  • 188(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs23