Sound not working after live install
This is strange. When I run xbmc from the current live cd, I have working sound. After I installed to hard disk and run it from there, I get "failed to initialize audio device" when trying to play music. I looked at the results from aplay -l and my sound card (Asus Xonar D1) is identified and is Card 0. My user ID is also show in the audio group.

What should I look at next?
timothyh Wrote:What should I look at next?
Run around in circles with your hands held high yelling? Big Grin

is it only music ie movies dvd's menu sounds are ok ?
reboot and dry different devices. Whats aplay? Linux?
No menu sounds either.

Yes. Aplay is a linux thing. XMBC Live runs on top of Ubuntu Linux.

The only other sound device is the HDMI sound output from my ATI graphics card. It is shown as card 1. I don't have a way to test that anyway.

I'm wondering what's different about running straight off the CD, which works, vs the installed version from the same CD... Should be the same thing.
timothyh Wrote:No menu sounds either.

Yes. Aplay is a linux thing. XBMC Live runs on top of Ubuntu Linux.

The only other sound device is the HDMI sound output from my ATI graphics card. It is shown as card 1. I don't have a way to test that anyway.

I'm wondering what's different about running straight off the CD, which works, vs the installed version from the same CD... Should be the same thing.
Hi
Im assuming that with the CD ver not all hardware is up and running... just the basics...
Are you sure the Asus Xonar D1 is card 0 and the hdmi sound is card 1 with xbmc running? drop down to console log in and try aplay -l again and whilst there have a look at alsamixer settings
Oh and more info would help Wink do a search in this area as well, there are 100's of "failed to initialize audio device" messages
After an afternoon of fiddling with it, it's fixed.

After upgrading my dual-boot Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (without XBMC) to 11.04 as an experiment, the sound suddenly started working there. I noticed that 10.04 was using alsa 1.0.21 and 11.04 had 1.0.23.

I upgraded alsa in the XBMC partition to 1.0.24 and the sound started working there as well. I also ended up having to blacklist the hd audio driver for the ATI card because XBMC would intermittently grab it as the first card on boot-up.

Now the only audio driver I have is the Xonar D1. Oddly enough though, the Xonar D1 device still doesn't work, but the default device does which is still the Xonar card.

Maybe Eden will fix all the weirdness. But at least I have sound again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sound not working after live install0