• 13(current)
Xbmc not working for blind users.
(2014-03-29, 23:37)pvagner Wrote: unfortunally the latest git master version currently prevents xbmc of exiting cleanly. I can't yet figure this out but I just thing I should mention it. While I am on home screen pressing ctrl+end makes xbmc to hang and by using the keyboard I can do nothing.
I am looking to play with it a bit in ordet to try figure out what's going on.

I've figured it out I believe. I'll post an update shortly. I've been working on it the last couple of hours, and just figured it out and fixed it a few minutes ago.
Added a new version to my repository: 0.0.33.

Get it or the repository from the Downloads Page.

Changes:
  • Fix for a bug with several backends causing XBMC to hang on shutdown
  • Added the settings option for espeak 'Play Speech Directly Via eSpeak' which bypasses writing to wav
  • Fix for speech-dispatcher not being available/working on some platforms (Ubuntu?)

(2014-03-29, 12:21)domasofan Wrote: Hi,

here are the logs i found.
openelec puts them in a very nice place to access them directly from the samba share.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1598...03-29-1.7z

Looks like we are running out of memory, causing a failure when starting a subprocess. I expect it is all the calls to playSFX in XBMC, because looking at the C code, it looks like it just caches the sounds indefinitely. I'll see if I can either find a workaround or if I can manage enough C++ to submit a fix.

pvagner: Let me know if this fixes the issue on your end.
Congrats for making it into openelec 4 beta 3.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-03-29, 23:51)ruuk Wrote: pvagner: Let me know if this fixes the issue on your end.

Yes it works fine now on linux with eSpeak and also with speech-dispatcher.
(2014-03-29, 23:51)ruuk Wrote:
(2014-03-29, 12:21)domasofan Wrote: Hi,

here are the logs i found.
openelec puts them in a very nice place to access them directly from the samba share.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1598...03-29-1.7z

Looks like we are running out of memory, causing a failure when starting a subprocess. I expect it is all the calls to playSFX in XBMC, because looking at the C code, it looks like it just caches the sounds indefinitely. I'll see if I can either find a workaround or if I can manage enough C++ to submit a fix.

I submitted a fix that allows playSFX to skip caching the wavs and asked for confirmation that what I think is happening is happening. Once it is confirmed, I'll send a patch to sraue so he can put it into OpenElec.
Information 
Added a new version to my repository: 0.0.34.

Changes:
  • Enable wave output in Flite
  • Merge Flite backend for ATV2 into main Flite backend
  • Fix for speech dispatcher always showing available
I hope there is a jailbreak coming for Apple TV 3 soonish as I'd love to test this add-on with my AppleTV. If anyone finds out about a way to jailbreak it please mention it here.
Hello hats off to the developers for making this accessible to blind and visually impaired people! I would like to know if this will work with voiceover on the iPhone
It doesn't currently. I don't have access to an iPhone, and I don't know if pvagner does, plus it would probably require some knowledge of iOS programming, so it is unlikely that it will be added unless someone comes along who can add it.
Added a new version to my repository: 0.0.35.

Changes:
  • Added the ability to select player in eSpeak
  • Added support for playing via paplayer and MPlayer
  • Fix for encoding error in Pico2Wave
  • Added generic speaking of window text on F2
  • Added generic speaking of list item text on F3
Added a new version to my repository: 0.0.36.

Changes:
  • Improvements to speaking of list item text on F3
domasofan: My recent addition to XBMC got merged today. It should fix the memory issues you were having. I also have some ideas getting the wav file to write to memory rather than the SD card.
Does your system have a /run directory, and what is in there.

Anyway, I'll let you know when I have a version available that works with the updated XBMC and I'll contact sraue and let him know about it as well.
OpenELEC has a /run filesystem, but most UNIXes don't. They all have /tmp, though, and /tmp on OpenELEC is a memory backed tmpfs, so that'd make an excellent place to dump .wav files rather than to the SD card. It's probably tmpfs based on most Linux systems these days, so would make a good general choice for writing the wavs.

Ruuk: Do you have a Raspberry Pi for testing on? If not, PM me if you'd like one as I'd be more than happy to pay for one for you to help with your testing.

Thanks so much for all your time and effort creating this addon. It's exciting to actually have a media player i nthe loungeroom that's now fairly accessible.
(2014-04-14, 13:58)eckythump Wrote: OpenELEC has a /run filesystem, but most UNIXes don't. They all have /tmp, though, and /tmp on OpenELEC is a memory backed tmpfs, so that'd make an excellent place to dump .wav files rather than to the SD card. It's probably tmpfs based on most Linux systems these days, so would make a good general choice for writing the wavs.
Well, most UNIXes if you're counting per distro, but since the distros with the most users are Debian based, that's a good chunk of users that will have /run.
I think I'll check for /run/shm and /dev/shm first since those should be tmpfs and fallback to /tmp since it might be tmpfs.
Thanks for the info. I knew some distros were using tmpfs for /tmp but I didn't know it was very prevalent. I also obviously didn't know what was available on the Pi.
(2014-04-14, 13:58)eckythump Wrote: Ruuk: Do you have a Raspberry Pi for testing on? If not, PM me if you'd like one as I'd be more than happy to pay for one for you to help with your testing.
I don't have a Raspberry Pi, but I've been meaning to get one. I went to buy one a few months back and they were out of stock, so I just decided to wait and haven't gotten around to it.
It is really generous of you to offer to pay for one, but I can handle the comparatively low cost of a Pi Smile
(2014-04-14, 13:58)eckythump Wrote: Thanks so much for all your time and effort creating this addon. It's exciting to actually have a media player in the loungeroom that's now fairly accessible.
I like to program things that are challenging and fill a need that is not already filled. When I saw this thread, I instantly had a bunch of ideas because I've spent a fair amount of time on other projects getting XBMC to do things it was not designed to do Smile
I'm enjoying the project and have gotten the added benefit of learning new things while working on it, both programming related and about the blind community as well.
@Edit to remove my unnecessary post to help anyone trying to catch up with this thread.
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc not working for blind users.5