MyMusic scanning is so fazzzt now =)
tried scanning my music archive with cvs from 30th and i must say that i couldn't believe my eyes. what usually took me someting like 3-4 hours no took about 15mins.  Image
thankyou very much for that improvment!

next time this app hits xbins, with all the new stuff thats been added lately, it's gonna be a real blockbuster. believe me!

great work as always devs!!!
/floink :d
yep, bobbin007 did a really great job on speeding it up!
frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
*edit by hullebulle: you know the channel rules, don't ya?
requesting binaries is not allowed.

her, will this speed increment have some impact over browsing of dvd full of mp3? as todey, they crash xbmc.
is it just me or is the scan speed for my music back to 'same old slow' scan speed in the 2004-02-01 cvs?
ok so after some testing it seems as though this speed improvemnt got lost for the 040201 cvs or else i'm doing something strange.
i tried installing old 040131 build and scan was still slow.
then installed 040130 bulid and scan is fast again.

confirmation or opposite anyone?
/floink
Quote:ok so after some testing it seems as though this speed improvemnt got lost for the 040201 cvs or

i have not found an answer yet on why it is slow again ??

but i have a question about the scan:
have you made the rescan with deleted cover art? or have you only deleted mymusic5.db Huh

because every thumb is saved to q:\albums\thumbs\temp first and is later moved to q:\albums\thumbs.

so now every coverart gets extracted to the thumbs dir.

maybe this is the point, that the coverart reading took so long Huh

greets

bobbin007
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

my xbox has been offline for the last month or so so i haven't actually got any cover art yet. i do think there are two albums out of 600+ that still got theirs left from before though. apart from those the default image is used. i believe i deleted all mumusicxx.db files. but i'll have another go and see if i get any differences.

sorry for bringing it up here but another thing about this default cover art image. i've made a default image as a png and removed the jpg version for retro-skin. this made the default image dissappeared from album view. so i put the jpg back and then the default image is back but it seems to be using the png as there is an alpha channel!? you can see it for yourself if you use the retro skin.

/floink
i have updated the scanning in cvs today.

should be faster now

feel free to test Smile

greets

bobbin007
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

yupp, back to fast with build from 4th. nice Smile. also noticed that 'display of current file being scanned' is gone. guess thats good for speed too?

i believe but i'm not sure that at the end of scan there is a message displayed for a fraction of a sec saying something like "scanning - this may take some time" maybe this mess should be displayed before scan and stay on line one of dialog until scan is done?

great work again bobbin007
/floink
Quote: also noticed that 'display of current file being scanned' is gone. guess thats good for speed too?

that took 1/3 of the scanningtime. well imho for faster scanning i take the less output. :d

Quote:"scanning - this may take some time" maybe this mess should be displayed

nice idea Image

greets

bobbin007

Quote:that took 1/3 of the scanningtime. well imho for faster scanning i take the less output.

perhaps you could update the "currently scanning" piece only every 10 or 20 files? that way you get an idea of where it is at, and seeing as it is alphabetical, this then gives you an idea of how long it's going to take.

or perhaps there is another simple way to show progress?

Thumbs Up 
first time here so forgive me if i'm out of line.

i was just wondering if anyone considered doing media folder location scanning offline ( say on the server pc ) and then just downloading an index file to the xbox to create the folder tree.

i had a similar issue creating player software for a pocket pc, if i scanned the music folder ( say 1000 folder and 10,000 tracks ) it would take forever. what i ended up doing was creating a little app that actually called a dos batch file ( retro - yeah - but fast! ) to do create a list of all the folders and put it into a text file. my pocket pc then simply downloads the text file and uses that to list the top level of the folder tree. once you've listed the top level you can just go get the folder contents.

now my little indexing program is pretty primitive. i'm sure anyone could improve on it. all i know is that my ppc will show me 1000 music folders and let me browse them in less than 5 seconds. it's a faster system than any other that i've seen on any other media front end ( myhtpc, mce, showshifter ).

there are also ways to get into windows media player's pants and pluck out it's info. that way you can just let it catalog all the media and then distill it into something that can feed your media player.

anyway, that's just my 2 cents for consideration. thanks for all the works you guys are doing. i'm just waiting for my mod chip and hope to be able to use xbmc shortly!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MyMusic scanning is so fazzzt now =)0