[SOLVED] SMS-style input from remote / keyboard
Hi guys,

I just want to share this find with you that took me a lot of time to find...

If you have a remote that sends keyboard commands (like soundgraph imon) and want to take advantage of sms-style input in xbmc virtual keyboard inputs than this is what you have to do:

Find your keyboard.xml file and add (or change) the following lines:
Code:
<VirtualKeyboard>
     <keyboard>
       <zero>Number0</zero>
        <one>Number1</one>
        <two>Number2</two>
        <three>Number3</three>
        <four>Number4</four>
        <five>Number5</five>
        <six>Number6</six>
        <seven>Number7</seven>
        <eight>Number8</eight>
        <nine>Number9</nine>
        </keyboard>
</VirtualKeyboard>

That's it! Save and restart XBMC.

Thanks to cpt. spiff for helping me out on this one!
thank you for sharing!!
i was missing this feature, didn't know it already exists.
great!
Thankyou kindly, this helped me make the same work with a logitech remote using Standard MCE drivers.

Any idea how to make the remote skip to a certain letter? e.g. in artists, pressing 5 twice should take the cursor to K.
(2013-02-26, 14:36)hedgepigdaniel Wrote: Thankyou kindly, this helped me make the same work with a logitech remote using Standard MCE drivers.

Any idea how to make the remote skip to a certain letter? e.g. in artists, pressing 5 twice should take the cursor to K.

this is my entire keyboard.xml file.

the jump sms bits are what you're looking for.

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=1265
thanks. I did something similar, in that I put the jumpSMS mappings in the global section, which also seems to work. Is there a particular reason why you didn't do that?
i just followed some tutorial i found somewhere (can't relocate the link).

i don't know if putting it in the global section would override the number entry function that i find very useful with the remote.

this works and no point fixing it if ain't broke.
Yes, placing those key mappings in the global section would change the behavior of the number keys for your keyboard and remote throughout XBMC. So, if you need to type numbers in a text entry field (search, playlist name, system settings, file path, etc.) you'd instead get the SMS alphabetic characters. By placing those SMS key definitions in only the relevant sections, as you've done, you avoid this problem.

By the way, I removed your in-line posted keyboard.xml in post #4 above (it creates too much clutter). Instead, please upload the contents of that file to a public paste site such as www.xbmclogs.com and post just the assigned URL for your file in post #4 (use EDIT to modify that post). Thanks.
Great...now that that content has expired on the xbmclogs site this informative thread has become useless. Well, at least it isn't cluttered...just useless.
This info is on the wiki: SMS (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SOLVED] SMS-style input from remote / keyboard1