[LINUX][XMBC-LIVE] Extremely Slow - Ati Driver?
I'm having a frustrating problem with the XBMC-Live setup.

Original I installed OpenElec's distro, which worked perfectly, so I know my low-powered netbook is powerfull enough for XBMC. However I wanted to be able to install all the nice 'extras' that aren't available in OpenElec (you have to request that they add a feature to their next release), apt-get etc

Running XBMC-Live as a Live USB was painfully slow, I decided to install it anyway, hoping performance would improve, it didn't. It takes about 10 seconds to move between menus.

I'm guessing that it's a driver issue with my graphics card, so spent a couple of hours trying to install new ones over SSH - it didn't work.

The onboard graphics are AMD/Ati 9802.

I can't see what drivers OpenElec use (more accurately, I don't know how to check what driver they use, and can't find the answer on Google).

Any help is much appreciated.

Some additional info:
XBMC Live 10.1
32bit
Install Method - created a Live USB key and installed to SSD
Skin - Confulence

not sure which logs would be helpful in this case, but happy to get them this evening
A quick update.

I haven't managed to get this to work yet. I've installed Linux Mint 12 and then 9 (lts) and still have the same issues, but at least I've got a fully functioning GUI to work with.

Below is the output of $ lspci -v | less

Code:
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 9802
        Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Device 9802
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
        Memory at b0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        I/O ports at 3000 [size=256]
        Memory at c1200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [58] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [a0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
        Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information <?>

If anyone knows how to get a 'better' driver installed, or how to tweak the one that's already default, that would be great. I don't really want to go back to OpenElec's restricted distro.

Thanks.
The problem starts with Dharma.
10.1 does not support XvBA/ATI.

You need to update to Eden to take full advantage of using an ATI Card - but even then, I think it's only as far as VAAPI.

OpenElec runs with XvBA Support in it's nightly builds.

There are threads on here how to update Live to Eden and then add ATI Support.

--EDIT
Looky here -
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114368

--EDIT2
You may also want to keep an eye on the XBMCFreak builds too -
http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en/
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX][XMBC-LIVE] Extremely Slow - Ati Driver?0