Does anyone own an ATV1+CrystalHD AND an ATV2?
just looking for some testing between the two devices.
I HAD an atv1 w crystalhd but i got rid of it after playing with an ATV2 for a while. Now I own two ATV2s Wink
I own both. I prefer my ATV1+BCHD+Crystalbuntu, but I do love my ATV2 as well. The ATV1 smokes the ATV2 in certain areas, if you are willing to find one used and do the BCHD mod, but no Netflix client.

Search the iOS forums. We've had a few threads that list the pros and cons of both.
Still got both. What did you want to know?

The ATV1+BCHD+Crystalbuntu is awesome for playback of 1080p media
biggest downside is that is gets hot and I mean hot so you cant really leave it running all the time.

ATV2 is perfect for 24/7 running only ever getting warm but playback can be hit and miss, in time that will be improved on I'm sure.

Overall just depends how you want to use them.
I also have both - ATV1 + CHD and a pair of ATV2s. I run MySQL on my Synology NAS and use a windows install of XBMC to manage my library.

Ni issues at all... And removed my hard drive on the ATV1 to make it cooler so i have no heat issues whatsoever =)

I use Sam's Crystalbuntu image for the ATV and always make sure to use the same nightly version on every device. Its very very stable and the whole family loves it.
I also have an ATV1 + crystal and an ATV2. I've recently switched to diskless crystalbuntu (using Ozymandaz's instructions) on the ATV1 and it works really well. Both are on wired network. I do NOT have the shared database set up yet, but plan to set that up sometime.

I think the ATV1 works a little better, but it uses more power, where the ATV2 uses almost nothing. The ATV2 is on 24/7 in one room and the ATV1 is in another room where it is used occasionally, and powered off most of the time.

Neither one can play ripped bluray without reencoding them to h264 lower bitrate, but I suspect the ATV1 may be limited by my network, while the ATV2 simply can't do it. The non-repeating remote on the ATV2 is a bit limiting. Airplay works better on the ATV2.

But overall, both systems are great for XBMC. If I had to do it over again, I'd have 2 ATV2s and be done with it. The ATV1 was more hassle and more expensive (after buying the crystal card), and has one less button on the remote. However, the crystalbuntu USB creation utility has simplified it greatly.
I have both. 1 ATV2 and multiple ATV1's. ATV1 is far superior. In addition to the Crystal HD card, and Crystalbuntu, I've put an 8GB SSD in it. Removed all fans. It's completely silent and almost instantanious when navigating.

I actually dislike the ATV2 now, it's way too slow. Also, ATV1 is completely open in the sense that it's just a computer, I can do whatever I want to it. ATV2 has to use IOS.
I have both an ATV1 & ATV2. I currently prefer the ATV1 simply because it can play anything I throw at it, has more outputs for various audio scenarios (no optical or hdmi audio output) and has no interface lag. If you use XBMC on either an HTPC or ATV1 I think you will notice the slight interface lag with the ATV2 immediately. I also prefer the ATV1 remote because it's much smaller. I also don't mind you lose wireless on the ATV1 when you add in the Crystal HD card since I prefer to run a wired solution anyways.

The only advantage to the ATV2 (imo) is that you have wireless, it's physically smaller, generates less heat and uses less power.

I use an HTPC in the living room, ATV1 in my bedroom and the ATV2 in the computer room.

TL;DR: atv1 is awesome, atv2 is ok (for now), htpc will bankrupt you
Ozymandyaz Wrote:I also have both - ATV1 + CHD and a pair of ATV2s. I run MySQL on my Synology NAS and use a windows install of XBMC to manage my library.

Ni issues at all... And removed my hard drive on the ATV1 to make it cooler so i have no heat issues whatsoever =)

I use Sam's Crystalbuntu image for the ATV and always make sure to use the same nightly version on every device. Its very very stable and the whole family loves it.

I looked up your instructions and you recommend
Quote:A Broadcom CrystalHD BCM70015 card, NOT the BCM70012. It will work, but not as well… Trust me, I have both…

I have an ATV1 with a BCM70012, sitting unused since I got my ATV2, and am thinking of disconnecting the hard drive and running Crystalbuntu from a USB stick but don't want to spend money on a BCM70015. What would I be giving up in terms of features or performance?

Thanks.
Fire TV Stick, Xiaomi Mi Box, Tanix TX3 Mini (S905W), Fire TV with 4K, Apple TV 4K, Tanix TX3 (S905X3)
the 12 still works fine, but there's... this pause/play/fastforward/rewind skippy thing it does where it takes a few seconds to play correctly. I think the 15 also has better support for some h.264 profiles, but I have never come across any that one or the other couldn't play. There might be some other stuff too, but the skippy thing will drive you mad once you see how well the 15 plays. The 12 is still completely livable.
Ned Scott Wrote:the 12 still works fine, but there's... this pause/play/fastforward/rewind skippy thing it does where it takes a few seconds to play correctly. I think the 15 also has better support for some h.264 profiles, but I have never come across any that one or the other couldn't play. There might be some other stuff too, but the skippy thing will drive you mad once you see how well the 15 plays. The 12 is still completely livable.

I actually have both and a long time ago was gonna make a you tube video trying to show the differences... The main difference is the skippy thing that Ned talked about, also referred to as the "train wreck" effect... The other minor difference is that the 15 can do flash and Xvid acceleration though that's never really an issue since the CPU can handle it just fine.

Davilla had this to say ages ago about the two:

The BCM70015 does MPEG-4 ASP (XviD/DivX) where the BCM70012 does not. However both XviD and DivX are easly handled by the CPU software decode under the AppleTV. The BCM70015 is 1/2 the length of the BCM70012 and requires less power.

Support for the BCM70015 is rolling in to osx/linux driver/lib, see the commit log for crystalhd-for-osx at googlecode. Of course the BCM70015 will be supported by XBMC. The lib API is identical.
So, is any one of these better/worse for LiveTV ?
Will any of them be able to do 1080i / 720p from Tvheadend ?

/Bomping.
1080i ? ATV1. ATV2 has "issues" with interlaced content.
I'm an ATV1 fan myself, but the ATV2 has its place. We talked about it in this thread.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=708...stcount=23

If you would like a 6 and 7 year olds opinion on the matter:

Ned Scott Wrote:I own both. I prefer my ATV1+BCHD+Crystalbuntu, but I do love my ATV2 as well. The ATV1 smokes the ATV2 in certain areas.

Me tooNod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does anyone own an ATV1+CrystalHD AND an ATV2?0