Win SMB or NFS - Windows 8.1 on Intel NUC connected to Synology NAS
Hi all,

Managed to get Intel NUC setup with Windows 8.1 and have since installed XBMC 12.3

My Movies, TV Shows and Music are on a Synology NAS over a Gigabit LAN – (movies are often full blurays and/or video remux at full HD)

This Synology NAS has both SMB and NFS servers installed.

I was initially going to use Openelec (Linux) and the choice between connecting via SMB or NFS was easier for me and I was going to connect over NFS

However, now that I am running XBMC on Windows I am unsure as to which way to go.

Having a quick look at adding movies into my library I noticed that NFS was instantly recoginsed and adding files into the library would be a breeze.

On the SMB side, I noticed that the SMB share was not immediately visible and I understand I may have to set this up etc.

I know that this SMB/NFS topic has been discussed many many times but I would be interested to hear peoples feedback/thoughts/opinions

XBMC on Windows connected to a Synology NAS – for performance (no lag/stutter on video playback), should I connect via NFS as this is instantly easy to setup or should I go through the effort to get the SMB shares working?

Thanks in advance,

litfoo
Intel NUC DC3217IYE, 8GB Corsair RAM, Crucial 120GB mSATA, Windows 8.1 - XBMC Jarvis 16.1 - Aeon MQ 7, JVC HD-550 Projector, Beamax M Series 10015 Screen, Synology DS1812+, Qnap TS-410, Logitech Harmony Ultimate, Flirc+ USB dongle

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB or NFS - Windows 8.1 on Intel NUC connected to Synology NAS0