Slow samba issues
description says it all. my smb access is extremly slow.
when i have and file downloading on my pc, speed is great, songs play almost instantly.

does anybody have any ideas why this would be? i have the latest cvs(4-26). .

does anybody have any ideas?

it's actually when i'm downloading anything that speed is fine. if the computer isn't constantly receiving data from the internet it is slow.
i have the same problem (i think). when i connect to the xbox with ftp, the speed is fast. but when i try to watch videos or listen to music from my pc, it takes forever to open the files and the speed is really slow. i heard somewhere that xp service pack 2 could be the problem, does anyone know?
try creating a new folder on the pc and move the video file to the new folder. worked for me (just renaming the existing folder didn't work).
!update!

i stopped using paplayer and went back to mplayer for my mp3's and it works great! what's the deal?
does it work if you use the same folder name as the old one? so you don't need to edit the xml-file?
(bluelake @ april 28 2005,09:51 Wrote:does it work if you use the same folder name as the old one? so you don't need to edit the xml-file?
thats what i did: renamed the original folder, created a new one with the old name and moved the whole sh#t to the new folder. slugishness was gone (but i'm not using service pack 2)
ok, i just tried the whole downloading while accessing my pc from my xbox and there's something to it.

i've been having issues for the past month or so when trying to play dvds over the network but only from a .ifo or .img file. if i play any other file, including .vobs from a dvd my cache fills up nicely, playback is smooth.

however, playing the .img or .ifo 75% it is really choppy and my cache can't keep up. however, some nights everything was perfectly fine.

well, while downloading at ~700k/s, playing a .ifo or .img was perfectly smooth. as soon as the d/l was done then it became really choppy again.

i'm running winxp with sp2, is there anything i can tweak that will correct this?
ya. this is really becoming an issue. i have excellent speeds with ftp, but my samba access is extremely slow unless i'm downloading something. i am also using winxp with sp2.

note: if i boot into safe mode with networking support, the speed is excellent! songs start instantly and switching songs is gapless.
hey jw
at least you got the sharing to work. i'm in the process of figuring it out. i have kai working and shoutcast and such, but can't figure out where the hell i edit the xml file for xbmc to do it. if you could tell me that would be awsome ([email protected]). as far as it working when downloading with abc, thats weird. i use abc and it usually slows down my network. no idea, good luck and keep me posted as once i get mine working i may experience the same problem
it's not just with abc. i can be downloading from anywhere. as long as there is incoming traffic to my win xp machine.
hey jweaver621-
could you please tell me how you setup your xml file to stream audio and video or give me a link that you followed. thanks
i emailed it to you ej. let me know if you didn't get it. anybody have advice on this topic?
this sounds like an issue with winxp (probably sp2) networking stack.

i don't know what to tell you.. maybe contact microsoft?

perhaps you can do a test against another machine, not an xbox.

see if you come to the same conclusions.

ts
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
tslayer, yeah, i'm leaning towards an xp issue...a buddy of mine is running the same build as me but against a win2k box without the same issue with .ifo and .img. although, he's complaining that the navigation is dog slow so i guess neither of us can really win Wink

however, i'd be curious to see if anyone digs up anything for the xp side of things.
ok, followup, changed from my onboard 3com nic to my nvidia one and things seem to be running much smoother, ever w/o having to stream a d/l to my pc.

if you're running a a7n8x like me, try the nvidia nic.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow samba issues0