• 10(current)
XBMC 11.0 Eden: Beta available now
Is there anything special I need to think about before upgrading from Dharma 10.1 to Eden beta when usin SQL library ?

Or is it just pressing next all the way ? Big Grin

//Stellan
Not too sure if this is directly related to Eden, but since updating to V11, I'm unable to watch and .mkv file without it stopping constantly after 3 or so minutes of play. It just stops and is sometimes unable to continue playing from the position it originally stopped (I'll have to fast forward past that point for it to continue). Can't recall this happening in previous versions. Is anyone else experiencing this?
RichH Wrote:No problem at all, it is just that as a 32 bit app it does not fully utilise all available RAM. System has 8 gig so only way to fully use that was if XBMC was a 64 bit app. Hence my question, if there was any plans to release a 64 bit version at some stage.
Why do you think you need a 64b version? Seriously, why? If it's running fine with a 32b executable, it's not going to run any better in 64b. If it's not using all available RAM via a 32b executable, it's not going to use any more in 64b mode. The fact that you loaded your PC with more RAM than XBMC can effectively use is your problem. Now, if your 32b version were crashing due to lack of memory, that's one thing. It's not, so you have a solution looking for a problem.
beta2 is out btw.
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/win32/x..._beta2.exe
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/osx/xbm...a2-x86.dmg
Folks
I have a Noob question. I want to test 11.0 Eden and so installed on another machine and it appears to work like a charm. I now want to install on my actual media center and please tell me if this is a safe approach:

1. on Win7x64 copy c:\users\user1\appdata\roaming\xbmc to flashdrive. Open bottle of beer.
2. install XBMC 11.0 on the machine. And open another bottle of beer.
3. make no chance to media directories
4. play around and stay put with 11.0 if it is working. And open another bottle of beer.
5. if for any reason switchback is required....
(a) unistall 11.0 along with userdata
(b) install 10.1 again and open another bottle of beer.
© run 10.1 to bring up interface and help create user data
(d) exit from xbmc 10.1. And open another bottle of beer.
(e) copy from flashdrive replacing the userdata
(f) open another bottle of beer
(g) restart xbmc 10.1 and pat yourself on the back for brilliant work and take a long swig of beer.
How many bottles of beer do u have left? Laugh
pumkinut Wrote:Why do you think you need a 64b version? Seriously, why? If it's running fine with a 32b executable, it's not going to run any better in 64b. If it's not using all available RAM via a 32b executable, it's not going to use any more in 64b mode.

The OP wasn't, as far as I could see, making demands - he was asking and it doesn't even seem that strange of a question.

pumkinut Wrote:The fact that you loaded your PC with more RAM than XBMC can effectively use is your problem.

That's pretty rude. You're seem as if he filled his machine with extra RAM to spite you and your unborn.
Dragonlance Wrote:How many bottles of beer do u have left? Laugh

Dragon - All of them are still here and I am looking at them with greed. Only if someone would confirm that my process is safe, I could venture into 11>0 Eden testing. I love my XBMC Dharma way too much and am totally salvishly devoted to it!!!
Hold on and wait for a major release of Eden.
And don't forget to keep the beer iced Laugh
Dragonlance Wrote:Hold on and wait for a major release of Eden.
And don't forget to keep the beer iced Laugh

Thanks Dragon. Let me finish these and will get another load when next version of eden is released. Cheers to all the stars of XBMC.

Anil
fional Wrote:The OP wasn't, as far as I could see, making demands - he was asking and it doesn't even seem that strange of a question.

That's pretty rude. You're seem as if he filled his machine with extra RAM to spite you and your unborn.
No, people ask about 64 bit software because they think "I've got 64 bits!!!!111one", without ever realizing what it actually means or the fact that just because software isn't available as a 64 bit executable really doesn't mean anything performance-wise.

The poster asking about it stated that he has 8GB of RAM and wants XBMC to be able to use it without every really thinking about the fact that XBMC doesn't need that much memory, nor would XBMC's performance actually improve by having a 64b executable. The poster seems to think that a 64b version of XBMC would somehow be "better". That's a mistaken assumption.
Actually, some of the newer CPUs do have some small performance advantage due to their architecture/design when utilizing 64-bit operations internally compared to 32-bit word lengths and thus it's not entirely absurd to want 64-bit versions of programs on these machines.

I can also see how something like XBMC could utilize huge amounts of memory for buffering applications (smooth fast/reverse scanning, instant icon menus that just 'appear' instead of loading, etc.) if one doesn't mind sacrificing resources for speed (probably prudent on a largely single-tasking home theater PC). I doubt XBMC would bother to support such things, but it probably could if someone wanted it to. I keep hoping for such trivial basic features as video tag support, so I wouldn't get my hopes too high.

Regardless, I too find curt responses irritating. People don't need to be rude regardless of how true something may or may not be.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
looks like beta 2 is released
Star 
intertan Wrote:looks like beta 2 is released
Where? I'm still seeing pre-eden nighties Dec 11 http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/
PatK Wrote:Where? I'm still seeing pre-eden nighties Dec 11 http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/win32/
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 11.0 Eden: Beta available now1