HTPC and XBMC
Hey guys, migrating from my Tvix and taking the dip into XBMC. From what I see, the interface on this is incredible! So looking forward to it.

Anyhow, I have a brief Q which I can't seem to find the answer to in the manual.

When I do cover art and info, I use a program called 'Tvixie' and it my current media player this would fetch all the info and cover art from IMDB or where I specified. All of the files were neatly stored in the folder of the movie.

However, with XBMC, this isn't the case. Where does it retrieve the info from, and more importantly, where are the images/files stored on the PC??

Any help would be great!

Cheers,
Sam
It retrieves the info from wherever you tell it to, ie TV shows at the tvdb, movies from imdb or themoviedb. The files are stored in the folders with each individual series or movie. You should probably familiarize yourself with folder naming, file naming and scraping before you go any further.
For the life of me I can't find where they're being stored! When I add movies, it tells me it is downloading the movie information, but it's definitely not in the folder. Is there a default path that all the information is sent to??

Is there a way to save each image/movie information individually in each folder, or are they collectively placed in the one place (C: UserData ->Apps -> XMBC).

Eg: Ideally I want to have 5 HDD's with movies on each. Movies A-D on drive 1, Movies E-H on drive 2 and so on. The layout will be D:/Movies/Horrible Bosses/file.mkv. I also want to have the files for each movie stored within the same 'Horrible Bosses' folder (jpegs, and other info). Can this be done? Does it make sense?
Minchia Wrote:For the life of me I can't find where they're being stored! When I add movies, it tells me it is downloading the movie information, but it's definitely not in the folder. Is there a default path that all the information is sent to??

Is there a way to save each image/movie information individually in each folder, or are they collectively placed in the one place (C: UserData ->Apps -> XBMC).

Eg: Ideally I want to have 5 HDD's with movies on each. Movies A-D on drive 1, Movies E-H on drive 2 and so on. The layout will be D:/Movies/Horrible Bosses/file.mkv. I also want to have the files for each movie stored within the same 'Horrible Bosses' folder (jpegs, and other info). Can this be done? Does it make sense?

It sounds like you want more control over your movies than just having XBMC scrape them. Use a media manager. I would recommend Ember Media Manager. That will allow you to pick the folder image and fanart, then write an nfo. All those files will be saved in the individual movie folder. This is really the way to go. You don't need to worry about XBMC changing or misidentifying anything. This will also allow you to use Movie Sets if you choose. For example:

The Die Hard Collection

could be placed in your library view instead of each individual movie. Then when you click on that, the four (or however many you own) Die Hard movies would be contained in a sub folder. Helps tame those unruly movie collections by getting every single movie off the main page thereby cutting down on some of the clutter and time it takes to manually search through the movies.
clubwerks Wrote:It sounds like you want more control over your movies than just having XBMC scrape them. Use a media manager. I would recommend Ember Media Manager. That will allow you to pick the folder image and fanart, then write an nfo. All those files will be saved in the individual movie folder. This is really the way to go. You don't need to worry about XBMC changing or misidentifying anything. This will also allow you to use Movie Sets if you choose. For example:

The Die Hard Collection

could be placed in your library view instead of each individual movie. Then when you click on that, the four (or however many you own) Die Hard movies would be contained in a sub folder. Helps tame those unruly movie collections by getting every single movie off the main page thereby cutting down on some of the clutter and time it takes to manually search through the movies.

Hi, no I don't mind XBMC doing everything. The main reason I'd like all the info in the one folder is say I have a mate who wants a backup, we want to be able to directly copy/paste and have the exact same setup (incase something fails, there's no mucking around).

If we copied the AppData file over (or wherever XBMC stores the info) would this be the same thing?

Cheers,
Sam
The info is saved in your userdata folder. Specifically in userdata/databases/ and userdata/thumbnails/ (all images are stored here, not just the thumbnails).

You can actually have XBMC place all this info along side the media files by using the export feature and selecting "multiple files". This makes .nfo files that contain the data, and places the cover art and such along side your movies and TV shows as well.
Thanks for that. I think i'll leave it as is, doesn't seem to be a big issue. I don't really mind everything in one folder, if it gets the job done!

Been trying to set up XBMC however. Having some troubles getting it to look how I want. Using this skin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4asUCtE0ONU

How did this guy do this "configured by me, Added CBC Radio 3, Twit.tv, Revision 3 to main menu, as well as a smart playlist for my currently watching movies." <-- the CBC, Revision etc. I want to add one for 'GAMES' then have a sub category for 'MAME, PC, XBOX'. etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC and XBMC0