• 12(current)
XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft
dont panic sopa did lost somehow his position and the sopa pipa thing dropped from the table... before changing everything ... just see how its goign to be in abouth few weeks..
krish_2k4 Wrote:id be happy with developers making addons from legit sources that will last longer.

there are many many addons scraping legit sources. perfect quality, latest releases, specials etc. but...unlike "piracy sites", which are free to use from anywhere in the world, legit sources are accessible from just a handful of places. The vast majority are US-locked.
ATV2 4.3 8F455 Seas0npassed / XBMC 11
Samsung HT-P70 5.1 / Samsung WS-32Z419P
and junk like HULU etc wont work outside of USA without a proxy anyhow.
I noticed that most links to ligit files for download have been uploaded
to megaupload which has been shutdown for many illegal activities.
I know people here have used it as a means of sharing images, scripts
etc over the years, my question is this since those sites have some
associationg with illegal activities wouldn't such links etc on the forums
also jerpordize our beloved XBMC because of any aassociation with
those sites within the forum if such a bill was ever to pass? I am grateful
to everyone that took a stance against the bill, but this is just the beginning
and will will continuously have to confront them, I just don't want to see
any hickups along the way forward stunting the development, or casing
it to cease to exist in the future because of something being ill thought
out.No
In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates, open source, opens minds, so open yours today.

http://www.anonyupload.com/
wilson.joe Wrote:I noticed that most links to ligit files for download have been uploaded
to megaupload which has been shutdown for many illegal activities.
I know people here have used it as a means of sharing images, scripts
etc over the years, my question is this since those sites have some
associationg with illegal activities wouldn't such links etc on the forums
also jerpordize our beloved XBMC because of any aassociation with
those sites within the forum if such a bill was ever to pass? I am grateful
to everyone that took a stance against the bill, but this is just the beginning
and will will continuously have to confront them, I just don't want to see
any hickups along the way forward stunting the development, or casing
it to cease to exist in the future because of something being ill thought
out.No

I would think that there isn't any problem as they're going after those that serve "illegal" content. The only real hit is that all the legitimate content is lost.

I haven't heard of any activity against Icefilms which I understand linked to "illegal" content on mega. So it appears the interest is only with those that host, not download.
Slightly off topic I know so sorry for that but to me this whole piracy thing is a none starter, they will never fully stop it. As soon as they close one site down another will start up somewhere else that they have no control over. The media companies really seem to be missing a trick and an easy way out.

Stop wasting millions in anti piracy and copy protection that someone will crack in no time at all. Sell your Films on Bluray \ DVD etc. Then do a HD rip of the film, no copy protection and stick it on your website to be downloaded for £\$ 1.00 or whatever your local currency is. I would think a lot of people that download movies etc from torrents would go and get a legal copy for next to nothing instead of a ripped movie.

They save millions on copy protection that never works and get cash in from downloads too.
RichH Wrote:Slightly off topic I know so sorry for that but to me this whole piracy thing is a none starter, they will never fully stop it. As soon as they close one site down another will start up somewhere else that they have no control over. The media companies really seem to be missing a trick and an easy way out.

Stop wasting millions in anti piracy and copy protection that someone will crack in no time at all. Sell your Films on Bluray \ DVD etc. Then do a HD rip of the film, no copy protection and stick it on your website to be downloaded for £\$ 1.00 or whatever your local currency is. I would think a lot of people that download movies etc from torrents would go and get a legal copy for next to nothing instead of a ripped movie.

They save millions on copy protection that never works and get cash in from downloads too.

problem solved, now let's try an figure out how to win the war on drugs and world peace! Rolleyes

Hate to break it to you but the big media companies don't give a rats arse about consumers, they have an obligation to their share holders only and rightly so. They are still raking in money so they will continue to do whatever it is they are doing.
krish_2k4 Wrote:Hate to break it to you but the big media companies don't give a rats arse about consumers, they have an obligation to their share holders only and rightly so. They are still raking in money so they will continue to do whatever it is they are doing.
And to think that I was convinced that money to be given to shareholders came from consumers... go figure. Rolleyes
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
ashlar Wrote:And to think that I was convinced that money to be given to shareholders came from consumers... go figure. Rolleyes

Rolleyes people will always pay to go to the cinemas and buy dvds. selling them for $1 is just plain stupid and naive.
So.... just wondering without trying to stir this pot up again in a negative way

Given the current crop of some popular addons lately, have the mods stopped the piracy hunt? I haven't seen any others closed down since this started, nor any posts being moderated for talking of or posting links to copyright material/streams

I'm not going to point any out by name, but taking a look at the most popular threads in the video addons forum and using a bit of common sense will tell you which ones violate the teams piracy stance as outlined here.. yet they have remained in check for weeks/months.. and some were not even touched in the initial run of thread closures

If the team were genuinely serious and worried about possible threats, where has the enforcement of these rules gone? Some addons are blatantly obvious that you might as well write in the topic 'FREE STUFF THAT YOU SHOULD OTHERWISE PAY FOR IN HERE'

Even those 'piracy' sites that some addons are based on are more cautious and diligent in the moderation of their forums when it comes to this topic..
Eldorado, I at least have not been made aware of any addons that go against our fairly specific rules. If you want to point me to one or more addons that violate those rules with a quick explanation of how they violate them, I'm sure we'll take care of them.
Noting material flying by my eyes, "Feds Continue To Consider Linux Users Criminals For Watching DVDs" and other decisions which put a some users in a kind of legal limbo... For the sake of the casualness of the forum may I suggest limiting guest users access to the FAQ, Wiki's, Guides.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/10/25/2...ching-dvds

Or is this too much chicken little?
Piracy stance is there. Will there also be a free software stance?
(2012-11-20, 20:08)Robotica Wrote: Piracy stance is there. Will there also be a free software stance?

I'm not sure if I follow the question.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft2