• 27(current)
XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft
(2017-06-11, 14:22)dmdsoftware Wrote: Time to close up my cloud services plugins on this forum. Somehow they "piracy" when all they do is provide ability for users to log into their own account on the cloud service and access content in their account.

If that's all it did was access users own accounts then that would be ok, however it's mentioned on the first post being able to access public url's, and if those public url's contain media content then that could be viewed as publicly publishing content that you don't have permission to do so from the copyright owner. However as you've rightly been pointed out we need to apply rules consistently across all similar add-on's/scripts.
(2017-06-11, 18:05)jjd-uk Wrote: If that's all it did was access users own accounts then that would be ok, however it's mentioned on the first post being able to access public url's, and if those public url's contain media content then that could be viewed as publicly publishing content that you don't have permission to do so from the copyright owner. However as you've rightly been pointed out we need to apply rules consistently across all similar add-on's/scripts.
Does that mean it's okay or it's not okay? I've re-read the above a few times and am still none the wiser.
(2017-06-11, 18:26)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-06-11, 18:05)jjd-uk Wrote: If that's all it did was access users own accounts then that would be ok, however it's mentioned on the first post being able to access public url's, and if those public url's contain media content then that could be viewed as publicly publishing content that you don't have permission to do so from the copyright owner. However as you've rightly been pointed out we need to apply rules consistently across all similar add-on's/scripts.
Does that mean it's okay or it's not okay? I've re-read the above a few times and am still none the wiser.

The thread has been restored. It was flagged up as a violation but upon further information coming to light and a team discussion it was deemed not to be the case. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
(2017-06-11, 18:26)trogggy Wrote:

It means we haven't reached a final decision yet, as it was pointed out that urlresolver acts in a very similar way, and that is obviously deemed as legitimate for the moment since it resides in the official repo, so while urlresolver is allowed then in all likelihood Cloudstream will be as well. We are discussing internally to make sure we are completely consistent in how the rules are applied and that all add-on's get treated equally whether in official repo or not.
If accessing public url's is now an issue I really don't understand the rules any more. Ho hum.
It's a slightly grey area.

If you don't own the copyright then you shouldn't publish a open public url for accessing that content, if it's content you own stored on a cloud service which needs your account credentials to access then that is ok.
There's also a difference between allowing a user to access any publicly available url, and a service that actively identifies media files on file locker sites then presents the user a list of those media files.
You have a post here on furum with title: The Piracy Box Sellers and Youtube Promoters Are Killing Kodi. Na minha opinião o que vai matar o Kodi é a Microsoft com a inclusão do programa no store do windows 10. Ou será que alguém aqui é inocente em pensar que a maioria dos usuários não usam addons voltados a pirataria, ariscaria dizer que 99% usam ou já usaram algum addon com este fim. Espero que os desenvolvedores do kodi tenham ganho um bom dinheiro do Tio Billl, e que o dinheiro esteja acima do amor pelo programa, porque a partir de agora ele vai inevitavelmente caminhar para o fim. Todos os programas que ameaçam a Microsoft ou as grandes empresas de Hollywood em algum momento terão seu fim, quer seja comprando o programa ou os programadores, ou processado as pessoas envolvidas, usando a justiça financiada por bilionários com sede insaciável de dinheiro. Talvez no final, no jogo de ganhar ou perder, quem acabe ganhado sempre um pouco mais é própria pirataria, porque quando eles transformarem o kodi em um brinquedo inútil, outro igual ou melhor ira aparecer. Evidente que a queda de braço entre bilionários e a pirataria esta longe do fim. Quando aparecer programas que realmente ofereçam uma quantidade gigante de conteúdo com preço justo, talvez, quem sabe talvez, a pirataria comece perder seu espaço.

@Karellen-
@zugzuang, we are an English only forum
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Google translate says
Quote:In my opinion what will kill Kodi is Microsoft with the inclusion of the program in the store of windows 10. Or is anyone here who is innocent in thinking that most users do not use addons aimed at piracy, I would argue that 99% use Or have already used some addon for this purpose. I hope the developers of kodi have made good money from Uncle Billl, and that the money is above the love of the program, because from now on it will inevitably move towards the end. All programs that threaten Microsoft or the big Hollywood companies will at some point come to an end, whether it's buying the program or programmers, or prosecuting the people involved, using justice funded by billionaire-insatiable moneymakers. Maybe in the end, in the game of winning or losing, whoever wins a little more is own piracy, because when they turn the kodi into a useless toy, another equal or better will appear. Obviously, the collapse of the arm between billionaires and piracy is far from over. When it comes to programs that actually offer a giant amount of content at a fair price, maybe, maybe, piracy will start to lose its space.

The thing is, Microsoft don't pay us. They help with windows code, but we don't get paid to have Kodi in the Microsoft App Store, any more than we do for having it on Android Play. It is a service.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Don't feed the idiots
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Good day l can not do a longi in kodi 17.3 everry time l thy the error of log and also in the trak . tv consummation of the error please helpe l can not contribute with all the url's or sites l am of little financial conditions until soon.
Star 
okay
Guys,
    This is all very confusing. I am a humble consumer who simply wants to do the right thing. I do love KODI and have used it to watch FTA TV for years and record my favourite shows.

I dearly want to watch some Maltese TV from Australia and was hoping to have that integrated to KODI somehow but have no idea if thats legal or not. I can do it via a normal borwser so pretty sure its legal. Why else would the Maltese TV stations broadcast and stream if it wasnt?

There is numerous in depth legal discussion which to be quite frank am not interested in but would rather the Kodi team tell us, the consumer what is OK and O would gladly follow that.
Hello @Micatech,

Yes it can all be confusing to those first entering the Kodi world. This is due to soooo much misleading information on the web, usually published by those trying to push their own, non-official, Kodi pirating add-ons.

A bit of common sense is required. If you would normally have to pay to receive a video service, but you now find a Kodi add-on that can give it to you for free, or at a greatly reduced cost, then it is most likely a piracy source. We do not publish any lists of what is legitimate. It would be impossible for us to maintain on a global level. Over 250 countries around the world, thousands of tv stations, thousands of movie companies, all the cross-referencing required to see who is distributing what... who could possibly maintain such a list.

(2018-04-06, 01:58)Micatech Wrote: I dearly want to watch some Maltese TV from Australia
Not sure if you mean that you are in Malta and you want to watch Australian Maltese TV, or you are in Australia wanting to watch Maltese TV broadcast from either Australia or Malta. Whichever it is, it sounds like you already have a source for the broadcast which you access from your browser, and just need an add-on to use it in Kodi. So if you can tell us which site it is, then the community can tell you if an add-on is available for it. I am also an Australian and the only Maltese programming I have seen is on C31.

Alternatively you can search the Official Add-ons here... https://kodi.tv/addons

You can also search this forum for add-ons. If there is an established thread for the add-on, then it is safe to use.

There is also an Aussie Add-ons repository which you may find useful... https://github.com/aussieaddons/repo
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft2