Wake on LAN xbmc-pc
Hello I've just installed xbmc Eden v11 on my new atv2. I would like to set it up so when I start xbmc it automatically fires up my pc so I can access my movie files etc without having to run upstairs each time and starting the pc?

Is this possible using wake on LAN?

Also I've noticed if I pause a movie during playback for a few minutes then go back and play it the movie says buffering and it takes 30 seconds or more before it plays. Can this be fixed? I'm connected to my network via a power over Ethernet device.

Thanks for the help
Never tried this on iOS myself, but you can give this a try:

Open a new text document and paste this into it:

Code:
import xbmc

xbmc.executebuiltin("WakeOnLan(00:00:00:00:00:00)")

Replace those 00:00:00:00:00:00 with the MAC address of the PC

Save the file as autoexec.py

Use SFTP (Cyberduck or Filezilla) and drop that autoexec.py file into your userdata folder ( /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/ )

XBMC should now wake the PC upon start up.
Thanks mate will give it a try and see how it goes. What about to switch off the computer. Can xbmc do that too?
I gave this a try but it didn't work. Any advice on what else I can try? My LAN card has an option to allow this device to wake the computer.. Which I ticked. But I left " with magic packet" unticked. But there were no other options in the advanced tab regarding wakeonlan.
Also in my bios settings the wakeonlan section said something about wakeonlan after S3 or S5. (sorry not at my pc at the moment)
It was already enabled.
A Wake on LAN packet is sometimes referred to as a magic packet, so you'd need that ticked too. That BIOS option may simply limit what sleep types it will wake up from. You may find it only wake up from hibernate and sleep and not from a full power off without changing those options
I tried it with magic packet switched on but still no luck. Wake from S5 means from power off from what I've looked up.

My Atv connects to a witeless router via wired and the router connects to another router upstairs via power over Ethernet. That's so we have wireless coverage throughout the whole house. But could this be the reason it's not working?
Not sure, but have you been able to wake the PC using any other wake-on-lan tools before?
Ned Scott Wrote:Not sure, but have you been able to wake the PC using any other wake-on-lan tools before?

I have to admit Ive never needed to or tried before.
I managed to get wake on LAN working by using my laptop and it works when I use net awake on my iPhone. But xbmc won't start my pc at all.
Anything else I can try? Am I just supposed to upload the auto exec.py file as a binary into the specified folder?
I fixed it. Turns out my autoexec.py file was actually called autoexec.py.txt. Don't know how I didn't notice that the first time around. Anyway I renamed the file and uploaded it again and now when I switch on xbmc it starts my PC automatically via WOL.
Now I don't have to go upstairs to turn it on and will probably gain a kg or two in the next year because of that lack of exercise I once had. Lol
Thanks once again for the help.
Is there a way of kicking this script off from an SSH terminal ?

I would like to be able to open up a terminal window and then tell my ATV2 to wake up my PC.

The autoexec.py works a treat on start up Smile

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wake on LAN xbmc-pc0