[REQUEST] NZB compatible usenet newsgroup downloader and stream script or plugin?
Lightbulb 
has anyone tried to develop a python script that would have the ability to browse a site like nbzzone.com or nzbsrus.com and download nzb files (usenet binary links) that could then be automatically downloaded to the xbox through a nntp server? i came across something called hellanzb (hellanzb.com) that is a *nix python application, but as i am not a developer i have no idea if it would even be possible to assemble a script that could do all this stuff. if possible, it would be awesome, particularly for downloading tv shows. speeds using a good usenet server are incredibly fast - a half hour show can be downloaded in under ten minutes.
hi.
i already attempt to develop such a script, a newsbin downloader... but it is tricky to decode the posts downloaded.
i succeed in download posts, but did not succeed to decode (uencode should be not too hard, but yenc is a bit harder...)
(solexalex @ may 03 2005,17:50 Wrote:hi.
i already attempt to develop such a script, a newsbin downloader... but it is tricky to decode the posts downloaded.
i succeed in download posts, but did not succeed to decode (uencode should be not too hard, but yenc is a bit harder...)
as someone who uses usenet on a daily basis that's still pretty impressive. it's a shame you never got the yenc decoding working.
not being able to code a thing, i thought i would post this here. it would be nice to have a script similar to torrentbrowser for nzb files (used for usenet posts). what i was thinking is that it would be nice to have the ability to browse for nzb files on a site like nzbzone.com and then have the nzb file download and save to an smb share. since a program like newsleecher can monitor a directory for new nzb files, you could setup a folder shared through smb, download the nzb file, have newsleecher download the tv show, movie, etc., then as long as you could figure out a way to have it auto unrared and saved back to a smb share, you could control it all through xbmc. the speed using usenet and nzb files is astonishing - you could download a half hour tv show in 5 to 10 minutes. anyone want to/able to do something like this?
anyone been working on something like this?

i'm not sure if this is within the processing power of an xbox1, but someone wrote an application (win32) here
which extracts rars from usenet as they are downloaded. this is useful for videos because it enables you to essentially stream video from usenet.

the python script would have to be able to download articles from usenet (perhaps fetch NZB files from a web server), and extract partial rars in the background while video is played in the foreground.

i could imagine this taking a fair amount of resources so it might have to wait for xbmc360 (or maybe an xbox1 with added ram)
Gents, install it on your PC (sabNZBD) and use the following client in XBMC

http://hometown.aol.com/fylands/sabcontroller.htm

see forum for more:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=22469

Since XBMC reads rars use this app to start download of the first couple of rars watch the movie "streaming" in.
Hi,

I wrote the sabnzbd controller. It does not currently have the feature to reorganize the rars in order to enable streaming unless your fortunate enough that the person who created it did that.

It does not also work on xbmc versions after 2.0.1 although I will be fixing that shortly..
Server: FreeNas 9 NAS: 6*3TB - Kodi Sql Database
Kodi Systems: Nvidia Shield Pro, G-Box Q (OpenElec), RikoMagic MK802 IV[
Skin: reFocus
Hi,

I am also very interested in the idea of streaming using nzb files from usenet. i am really a beginner to all things xbmc and i know hardly anything about python.

i did download the xbmc source and have a look at how this might work. it seems to me like there are two separate(ish) parts to making this work...

1) Add support for nzb file type to xbmc
this will mean adding some type of layer to parse the nzb, order the nzb to download the first rar first, start downloading yenc'd content, decode the content (on the fly ideally)

2) Create index based on newzbin, etc in python

I am still very much getting to grips with the file handling methodology in xbmc. Hopefully a new class similar to CFileRar which can accept an nzb file as it's source, open the nntp stream, yenc decode and pass rar file bytes to xbmc/mplayer via the Read() method will work. (i hope i have understood the code well enough for this to make sense!!). NNTP server settings would need to be added to the settings pages/as a source.

I haven't even started looking into the specifics of decoding yenc. Does anybody know if yenc'd files can be decoded on the fly as the file is downloaded? I am aware that it has some CRC features... does this imply that the whole file must be downloaded before any of it can be decoded?

Based on the ability of xbmc to handle nzb files, python scripts could be independantly developed which would pass the nzb file back to xbmc to be opened and played.

There's lots of questions! I intend on looking further into the feasibility of creating nzb support based on the idea above... i have a lot of learning to do however before i could have anything useful!

Regards,
Patrick
maybe you should have a look at sabnzbd it has been written in python but it was far above my skills to make it work for xbox.

I did look into the fact or re-organising the nzbs after my script grabbed them and it was purely a matter of re-ordering the file which didn't seem like too much work. Once I have fixed the my controller app so that it works with the later versions of xbmc I will not progress the project any further as I do not use newsgroups at all so if anyone wanted to take ownership of the project then let me know and I provide any help I can..
chunk_1970 Wrote:maybe you should have a look at sabnzbd it has been written in python but it was far above my skills to make it work for xbox.

I did look into the fact or re-organising the nzbs after my script grabbed them and it was purely a matter of re-ordering the file which didn't seem like too much work. Once I have fixed the my controller app so that it works with the later versions of xbmc I will not progress the project any further as I do not use newsgroups at all so if anyone wanted to take ownership of the project then let me know and I provide any help I can..

Chunk_1970,

I just wanted to thank you for your hard work on this script! I used to use it alot with old XBMC builds and i cant wait to see it work on the new XBMC builds. Keep up the good work! awaiting your update to this awesome script.
chunk_1970 Wrote:maybe you should have a look at sabnzbd it has been written in python but it was far above my skills to make it work for xbox.

Getting sabnzbd up and going definitely seems like my first port of call! Smile looks like a sweet way of approaching things!!

Patrick
flamez Wrote:Chunk_1970,
I just wanted to thank you for your hard work on this script! I used to use it alot with old XBMC builds and i cant wait to see it work on the new XBMC builds. Keep up the good work! awaiting your update to this awesome script.

I hope to release a version that will run on the later xbmc builds hopefully before the weekend.
New version just released. Bear in mind that I have done nothing to this except ensure that it loads up in the latest versions of XBMC. I have not really checked anything else as I dont have newsgroup access anymore so I cannot really check any of the main functionality of any of the sites have changed..

Good Luck..
textcolor issue here as well mate Smile under pm3
I expect theres alot more errors.All I did was to update the guibuilder and the scripts accordingly.

Im looking for someone to take this project over really as I dont have access to newsgroup anymore..

Any Takers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] NZB compatible usenet newsgroup downloader and stream script or plugin?0