JSON API - Questions
Hello,

I've been using the JSON API for some time, since I realized the HTTP API was being phased out.

I am still forced to use a couple older calls and was hoping to remove them completely.

Currently VideoLibrary.Scan doesn't take any parameters, so I can't use it like ExecBuiltIn(UpdateLibrary(video, path) and pass in a path, is this something that is just missing from the documentation, or is it currently unavailable?

Also I see that the Library Auto-Updater has a way to check if a scan is already in progress, so it doesn't kick off a new scan and effectively cancel the already active one. Is there a possibility of this being opened up via the JSON API? I'd love to be able to use this functionality in my app.

Cheers,

Markus
XBMC-Livingroom:
Zotac IONITX-A|4GB RAM|20GB 2.5" HDD|Windows 7 Ulitmate|Video/Audio: HDMI to 1080P Samsung LNT4669
XBMC-Bedroom:
HP A1420N|1GB RAM|200GB HDD|Windows 7 Ultimate|Radeon 24000HD|Video: DVI to HDMI on Samsung 720P TV|Audio: Over Analog to TV
I would love to see if you get a response on this topic. I've listed a couple entries trying to find others working on the API without a response! I'm about to give up on this forum, which is a shame!
markus101 Wrote:I've been using the JSON API for some time, since I realized the HTTP API was being phased out.
Good decision Wink We'll remove the HTTP API ASAP after Eden has been released and some missing features have been added to JSON-RPC.

markus101 Wrote:I am still forced to use a couple older calls and was hoping to remove them completely.
I'm always looking for feedback on missing functionality that is available in HTTP API (but there are some specific features that we absolutely do not want in JSON-RPC).

markus101 Wrote:Currently VideoLibrary.Scan doesn't take any parameters, so I can't use it like ExecBuiltIn(UpdateLibrary(video, path) and pass in a path, is this something that is just missing from the documentation, or is it currently unavailable?
It will not be available in Eden. There's already a feature request ticket for this at http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10463 it just didn't make it into JSON-RPC yet.

markus101 Wrote:Also I see that the Library Auto-Updater has a way to check if a scan is already in progress, so it doesn't kick off a new scan and effectively cancel the already active one. Is there a possibility of this being opened up via the JSON API? I'd love to be able to use this functionality in my app.
I don't think that there'll be a way to check if the library scanner is currently working. Personally I don't like the implementation that calling VideoLibrary.Scan might stop the scanner because that's simply not what anyone would expect it to do. I'd rather change the implementation to not do anything if the scanner is already active. Please create a feature request ticket for this.

Raginn8 Wrote:I would love to see if you get a response on this topic. I've listed a couple entries trying to find others working on the API without a response! I'm about to give up on this forum, which is a shame!
Hm looking at all the posts you've made so far it looks to me like you simply posted your questions in the wrong places. There's the "official" JSON-RPC development thread where everyone can ask questions and request features concerning JSON-RPC. The advantage of posting there is that I receive instant email notification for every post. If you post somewhere in the Help and Support section (where I actually haven't been at all up until now) it's harder to spot such specific things as there are so many new threads there all the time.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Montellese Wrote:Good decision Wink We'll remove the HTTP API ASAP after Eden has been released and some missing features have been added to JSON-RPC.
Good to know what the timeline is, currently I'm just relying on it for Dharma, since the JSON API isn't as useful there.

Montellese Wrote:I'm always looking for feedback on missing functionality that is available in HTTP API (but there are some specific features that we absolutely do not want in JSON-RPC).
I'll keep that in mind and try to use trac more effectively. Come to think of it, is there a function like the Event Server (and HTTP API) SendNotification? I started using the EventServer for it, since it allowed me to more easily send an image with it, but would like to go to pure JSON API at some point.

It will not be available in Eden. There's already a feature request ticket for this at http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10463 it just didn't make it into JSON-RPC yet.
Okay, thanks, I'll keep that in mind, I guess I'll continue using the EventServer for it for now.

Montellese Wrote:I don't think that there'll be a way to check if the library scanner is currently working. Personally I don't like the implementation that calling VideoLibrary.Scan might stop the scanner because that's simply not what anyone would expect it to do. I'd rather change the implementation to not do anything if the scanner is already active. Please create a feature request ticket for this.
From this post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=106396
I was lead to a commit from vdrfan (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/9688...b9eb4c1bca) that appears to check for that, though I'm not sure if it can be leveraged. I agree that it shouldn't cancel the scan, but I do use a single button on my remote to start/stop scans manually so I think it serves a purpose, just needs a way to override the default behavior.

Thanks for your response.

Markus
XBMC-Livingroom:
Zotac IONITX-A|4GB RAM|20GB 2.5" HDD|Windows 7 Ulitmate|Video/Audio: HDMI to 1080P Samsung LNT4669
XBMC-Bedroom:
HP A1420N|1GB RAM|200GB HDD|Windows 7 Ultimate|Radeon 24000HD|Video: DVI to HDMI on Samsung 720P TV|Audio: Over Analog to TV

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
JSON API - Questions0