Win XP mkv jerky playback
Sorry, last resort. Have searched forums and read wiki but nothing helped. I hope there's enough info here to help someone point me in the right direction.

This has been bugging me for a while. I thought I was doing something wrong when ripping BluRay disks (with makemkv) but have discovered it's a playback issue with XBMC - no problem with Media Player Classic.

My rip of 'Avatar' works fine: debug log http://pastebin.com/EcemFE3V

My rip of 'Of Gods and Men' doesn't: debug log: http://pastebin.com/NWbNPNpz

The symptom is very jerky video - particularly noticeable on fast-moving scenes but happens all the time. I tried ripping without HD audio, and without any audio - symptoms are the same.

Windows has latest updates, I reinstalled XBMC, I updated the ATI drivers, I tried reinstalling XP codecs, I experimented with all the XBMC settings I could find. Nothing made any difference at all. I´d really appreciate some help on this.

System info:

System: Dell Vostro 400, WinXP SP3
Processor: Intel dual quad core Q6600 @2.4Ghz
Memory: 3.25Gb RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD5570, Driver¨8.920.0.0
Sound: Theatron Agrippa, Driver 5.12.1.47
2 monitors, Dell 19" on VGA and Epson projector on DVI/HDMI - same symptoms on both
XBMC 10.1 Git e9e9099 March 8 2011
Reproduce problem by playing the files and watching video jitter
Mediainfo: http://pastebin.com/qN5PXJ9E
Star 
Alas... the old 'XP doesn't support gfx hardware acceleration (DXVA2).. to double check it; hit the keyboard 'o' and see if your CPU is nailed at threshold.

The work around for most is to launch an external player that does...MPC-HC does. You've got the hardware... might look into running Win7
Thanks for the reply Pat, but CPU is fine averaging below 20%. All is well when Windows Media Player Classic plays the same files that cause XBMC problems.
Media Player Classic supports hardware acceleration because it uses DXVA v1 (XBMC requires DXVA v2).

How do the bitrates for Avatar and Of Gods and Men compare? The higher the bitrate the greater the load on whatever is attempting to decode it.

JR
Thanks for the info re MPC. From the mediainfo (I'm no expert) looks like Avatar has a higher bitrate - 35Mbps - versus 27.4 for the cranky one
martindell

What the others are telling you is the reason for your problem even though your CPU shows only 20% XBMC (FFmpeg) doesn't support multithreaded that means it cant use all four cores of your CPU anything past a certain bitrate and your CPU cant efficiently handle it

You need hardware decoding and that's only available in XBMC using Vista or Win 7

Do a search this comes up all the time
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Ok, thanks for that. Any idea why Avatar works OK in that case?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Win XP mkv jerky playback0