Need older nightly - Sept 19th - No go on Eden
snuffwig Wrote:Dope, I've a quick question for you; I found myself in the same boat with regards to playback issues on 11b1, so attempted to run the older build (Sept 19th) that you recommended in a previous post, but upon completing the upgrade installation and attempting to launch XBMC, it crashes back to Apple TV.

I ran through the following...

-Downloaded build from Mediafire using link provided in this thread
-Copied to ATV2 using Filezilla
-Installed via Putty using command line dpkg -i filename
-Removed .deb file
-Rebooted ATV

Apologies for the vague nature of the above, but is there anything I'm doing obviously wrong? Are these the steps you ran through?

With regards to the 11b1 playback issue, from the testing I've done the first MKV I attempt to play will play almost flawlessly, from there on in however I suffer from almost constant buffering - can provide logs if necessary.

I have not had any problems with just over writing each build with the dpkg -i command. I am however on appleTV 4.3 and not the newest one. I have reinstalled each build over the previous one without any issue. You have to some times reboot the ATV device for the new build to take affect.

make sure to check what version of XBMC you have by going to system info.

can you try a hard power cycle of the ATV?
You can also try to remove xbmc completely and install the nightly build as follows:

To remove:
apt-get remove org.xbmc.xbmc-atv

Then get the .deb file for the version you want and install with:
dpkg -i <name of deb file>
dopechess Wrote:You can also try to remove xbmc completely and install the nightly build as follows:

To remove:
apt-get remove org.xbmc.xbmc-atv

Then get the .deb file for the version you want and install with:
dpkg -i <name of deb file>

To remove its: apt-get remove org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2, but still no go after removing and fresh installing. Back to Eden! Anyone has any ideas, let us know.
dopechess Wrote:Eden worked ok for me for the first night, afterwards it would exhibit the same buffering problems. Might be a memory leak? Not sure, but it definitely not as good in terms of watching 720p MKVs as the Sept 19th build. The ability to watch the higher definition files without problems is the most important thing for me.

Update. I reinstalled the Sept 19th build and everything works again. All my SMB shares with 720MKV and even 1080MKV works perfectly. The 1080P stuff are very large files, about 20GB each. BTW, I am doing all of this over wireless.

Developers, please look at why the sept 19th build works better for streaming those MKVs than other builds or even Eden.

Can others confirm? or is it just my imagination?

Im not that in to downgrade - but could you explain step-by-step how i can go from ios 4.4.4 with xbmc eden 11.0 to that ios X-X-X you use with the xbmc 16 sep?

Would appreciate it ! Smile
mgc_bb Wrote:Got the same problem snuffwig with the crash to frontrow after following steps to change to sept 16, not just you buddy

strange one huh

Same thing for me. Yesterday i tried to perform the downgrade but i keeps crashing back to atv menu. re-installed the newest version with apt and get back working, but still get the problems mentioned here. Maybe it´s the 4.4.4 fw ?
EDIT: The post below assumes that the problems myself and others have been having with the Sept 19th build relate to the fact we're all running 4.4.4; for anyone already running 4.3 you needn't bother with the first few steps..

Assuming Apple are still signing 4.3 - which I'm not 100% they are - the following should work..

Mods, apologies in advance if the posting of links to externals is prohibited, please edit accordingly.

- Download iOS4.3 8F455 build from here : http://appldnld.apple.com/AppleTV/041-08...store.ipsw

(I'm led to believe there's a working untethered jailbreak for this particular 4.3 build)

- Using Seas0nPass, shift-click the IPSW button and point the application to the above, then follow through the Seas0npass instructions as per usual.

- ATV2 should now be running iOS 4.3

- Download and install your chosen XBMC build - assume it's the Sept 19th build you want to test so you should find the link 2 pages back

- You should now have iOS 4.3 installed with a working install of the Sept 19th XBMC build

NOTE:The above outlines the process from memory, i'll be running through it myself later so can then confirm that the steps are accurate. I'd test sooner but i've not got my ATV with me..

Also, if you do have SHSH files for 4.3 and find that Apple are no longer signing it, you should be able to use Tinyumbrella to perform a local restore.
snuffwig Wrote:- Add the following into your hosts file, making sure to add it at the very bottom

#74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

This is a sensless add. Because lines starting with "#" are ignored in that file ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Good point, well put; edited to reflect. Changes to the hosts file are in fact completely unnecessary if we assume 4.3 is still being signed and the file hasn't previously been modified.

If anyone has amended their hosts file in the past to restore from Sauriks server and for whatever reason no longer has blob files for 4.3, you WILL need to either remove the line or comment it out as per above.
Apple-TV:~ root# dpkg -i xbmc-20110916-0c3e6a3-master-atv2.deb
(Reading database ... 3409 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 10.0-9 (using xbmc-20110916-0c3e6a3-master-atv2.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2:
org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 depends on org.awkwardtv.whitelist; however:
Package org.awkwardtv.whitelist is not installed.
org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 depends on org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock; however:
Package org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock is not installed.
dpkg: error processing org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
Apple-TV:~ root#

I tried to do a apt-get update, but still getting this error when i try to install the 16 build..

I jailbreaked my aTV to 4.3 with the file in the post above..

Any help?
lazzeeh Wrote:Apple-TV:~ root# dpkg -i xbmc-20110916-0c3e6a3-master-atv2.deb
(Reading database ... 3409 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 10.0-9 (using xbmc-20110916-0c3e6a3-master-atv2.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2:
org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 depends on org.awkwardtv.whitelist; however:
Package org.awkwardtv.whitelist is not installed.
org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 depends on org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock; however:
Package org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock is not installed.
dpkg: error processing org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
Apple-TV:~ root#

I tried to do a apt-get update, but still getting this error when i try to install the 16 build..

I jailbreaked my aTV to 4.3 with the file in the post above..

Any help?

apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock

when you install via dpkg, any depends will NOT be auto fetched and you will have to install them manually too.
Ok thanks, found out of it Smile
I am one more person to admit that the Sep 16 build works perfectly. I was having constant buffering with all the type movies in eden build. I had tried everything - wired / wireless with high powered router like E4200 - nothing was working in Eden.

This is what I have
1. Apple TV 2 - 4.4.3 ios version
2. E4200 with 1 TB of MyPassport
3. Sep 16 build.

This is what I did
1. I had updated to Eden. All the buffering started
2. Installed Sep 16 build. The buffering improved but still did not go away.
3. Removed all the XBMC preferences and reinstalled Sep 16 build

voila!!! eveything is working perfectly. Everything over wireless. It even connects to my Computer which has a G USB Dongle.

So I am sure this EDEN build has a faulty way of reading the preferences.
manju_rn Wrote:I am one more person to admit that the Sep 16 build works perfectly. I was having constant buffering with all the type movies in eden build. I had tried everything - wired / wireless with high powered router like E4200 - nothing was working in Eden.

This is what I have
1. Apple TV 2 - 4.4.3 ios version
2. E4200 with 1 TB of MyPassport
3. Sep 16 build.

This is what I did
1. I had updated to Eden. All the buffering started
2. Installed Sep 16 build. The buffering improved but still did not go away.
3. Removed all the XBMC preferences and reinstalled Sep 16 build

voila!!! eveything is working perfectly. Everything over wireless. It even connects to my Computer which has a G USB Dongle.

So I am sure this EDEN build has a faulty way of reading the preferences.

can i ask you how do you remove all the XBMC preferences?
Has anyone tried this build with some of the 720p streaming plugins (Icefilms HD videos for instance) or is the fix only related to local network video files?
From tonights testing; totally stuck on iOS 4.4.4 as older builds are no longer signed and i've no blob files.

XBMC side of things; neither the Sept 16th or 19th build runs on 4.4.4 so I would appear to be stuck with eden b1 and a whole load of unwatchable content.

If there's anything I can do to help progress the situation let me know, as otherwise my ATVs just going back in its box, at least short term.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need older nightly - Sept 19th - No go on Eden0