ATV2 buffering/poor performance - what worked for me
Thumbs Up 
This is my first post after I picked up an ATV unit and have been tinkering for the past few days. For some background, I'm running this wirelessly and accessing media from my Windows 7 64b PC's HDD via SMB.

ATV was jailbroken before being switched on and XBMC was installed immediately. After some issues with sorting out SMB connections (fixed after disabling the Homegroup and activating the Workgroup properly) the playback for my SD files - all I really have - was choppy at best. When it wasn't buffering it was extremely jittery and the audio was going off sync. Basically unwatchable.

Anyway, tonight I had some time to play around and after fiddling with the below it is now streaming video PERFECTLY. Absolutely no stutters or anything - I'm not sure what worked, but something did.

-Turned off AirPlay in both ATV and XBMC
-Changed resolution from what it was (I don't recall now) to 480p. My bedroom TV is quite small and this looks fine. Not sure how it would affect a large screen.
-Disabled autoload into XBMC, though I really doubt this changed anything.
-Entered my router's IP into WINS under networking.

I've seen many posters with issues identical to mine, so perhaps something here will help. I was finding too many questions and not enough answers while searching for a fix.

PS: If I recall anything else I did, I'll add as an EDIT to this post.

EDIT: Over the last few days the network link seems to break when left in the "sleep now" mode. A hard reset (i.e. plug out and back in again) gets it working. Otherwise I get error messages.
Not just with "SMB", there are the same buffering/performance issues on the ATV2 with NFS and AFP as well, (with AFP being the most), in my experience. Cheers!!
MINIX NEO U22-XJ | Denon AVC-X3800H | KEF Q750 | KEF Q250c | KEF Q150 | KEF Q50a | KEF Kube 10 MIE | LG OLED65G16LA | CoreELEC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 buffering/poor performance - what worked for me0