Clone XBMC on AppleTV?
I have a few ATV2 at home, and was wondering if there was a way to 'clone' an XBMC installation, or even the whole device?

So that when I upgrade my apple software or need to reinstall XBMC on any devices I can do one, then clone it complete with add ons etc and then put this 'image' on the remaining devices?

I thought I remembered seeing some software that could do it but i'm not sure.

Peter
I just did that for 2 new ATV's - All i did was http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...s_settings, which worked fine.

It brought across my settings, and add-ons.
navet Wrote:I just did that for 2 new ATV's - All i did was http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...s_settings, which worked fine.

It brought across my settings, and add-ons.

This wouldn't be enough if you've also made modifications to the XBMC application itself.

Unfortunately, I don't think it would be possible to clone the ATV2 without first jail breaking each device. Although, once that's completed there would be no need to clone the entire device. You would only need to move the folders containing XBMC applications, settings, etc. However, I would think it's easier to just go through the short installation process on each device and copy over just the user data and other modified files.
Quote:This wouldn't be enough if you've also made modifications to the XBMC application itself.

Why on earth would you do that? You would lose those changes anytime you updated XBMC. The only thing I can think of that would require fiddling with the application files is to get a newer version of librtmp.
Ned Scott Wrote:Why on earth would you do that? You would lose those changes anytime you updated XBMC. The only thing I can think of that would require fiddling with the application files is to get a newer version of librtmp.

That's what I love most about XBMC. It's so easily customizable. However, I should have clarified that I meant changes to the skins of XBMC and not necessarily the XBMC app. (Can't remember if I made any changes to anything other than the skin and the apple ATV2 menu.) With good record keeping one can easily recreate any changes they've made with every new version. I wouldn't want to do it every night, but it's been fine to keep up with new releases and any necessary nightlies. Eden Beta seems to be happy so far.
bigbully Wrote:That's what I love most about XBMC. It's so easily customizable. However, I should have clarified that I meant changes to the skins of XBMC and not necessarily the XBMC app. (Can't remember if I made any changes to anything other than the skin and the apple ATV2 menu.) With good record keeping one can easily recreate any changes they've made with every new version. I wouldn't want to do it every night, but it's been fine to keep up with new releases and any necessary nightlies. Eden Beta seems to be happy so far.

If you make a copy of the "internal" confluence folder in the userdata/addons folder, that would let you make skin changes that stay across upgrades.
Ned Scott Wrote:If you make a copy of the "internal" confluence folder in the userdata/addons folder, that would let you make skin changes that stay across upgrades.

I'll do that, thanks.
Do you still get auto updates on repo if you clone it that way?
voltgaming Wrote:Do you still get auto updates on repo if you clone it that way?

yes

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Clone XBMC on AppleTV?0