Linux XBMC platform: Hardware help
If you don't want to run any other programs you can just do OpenELEC. But I don't run any desktop. I have X11 and XBMC and nothing else.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:If you don't want to run any other programs you can just do OpenELEC. But I don't run any desktop. I have X11 and XBMC and nothing else.

Yes, I've heard of that and I'm going to give it a try once the hardware gets here. I think I want general access to the desktop so I can run a browser now and then (one of the problems with every media presentation platform is the apps that external providers frequently break, sometimes intentionally), so it probably won't fit the bill ... but I want to see it Smile.
darkscout Wrote:Maybe it's improved but last time I tried XVba it got all crashy when trying to play anything.
It has, otherwise I wouldn't be singing its praises Tongue. I am very impressed with the stability (seen quite a few movies and series episodes with XvBA already). In fact, so impressed I am getting an E-350 solution for my standalone Xbmc setup.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
AndyMac Wrote:Yes, I've heard of that and I'm going to give it a try once the hardware gets here. I think I want general access to the desktop so I can run a browser now and then

And this requires a full desktop why? I have Chrome right now.
Code:
Im running an XBMC on a full featured Xubuntu simply 'cause it's much easier to maintain XBMC and everything around with a full linux environment .. and I had and have a lot of stuff to maintain (using PVR and other nifty stuff) .. simply quit XBMC and start working ..

While XBMC and PVR performs very well and smooth there are sometimes tasks that seem to stress my hardware (switching to mainmenu with enabled LiveTV in background) so I wouldn't sign the message that a full featured XBMC with PVR doesn't need high(er) power hardware ..

OpenELEC is really neat but it's an full customized linux build without roots to other distributions - but I prefer well know distribution like debian simply for maintain and support issues .. it's really sad that the OpenElec crew didn't choose debian Sad

A config like mine (Celeron G530 (2*2,4 GHz) + Scythe Shuriken Rev. B
4 GB RAM, NVidia GT430 silent 1GB, ASUS LGA1155 Board, LiteOn BluRay) isn't much more expensive than an ION or LIano Solution, but it's more generic, expandable and has more power ...

It seems that the discussion about the "better HTPC hardware" is comparable to the "linux or windows" flame wars Wink

So long

LastCoder
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
PS3 BD Remote Control Daemon for Kodi/Linux
UNCHAINED Demo Group
LastCoder Wrote:really sad that the OpenElec crew didn't choose debian

What would they have chosen from Debian? It's a 100% compiled from source very specific distro that includes literally the bare essentials. It's like being disappointed NASA didn't choose a Ford for the Moon Rover.

If you just want a base Debian. Install a base Debian.
Code:
found this - it's not XBMC specific (or does UbuntuTV use XBMC ?), but shows some tendency for best GPU Hardware support with linux:

Target Platforms

During development Ubuntu TV was tested on an Acer Aspire Revo 3600 and 3700. These sport a 1.6GHz Atom CPU and VDPAU-capable nVidia GPU. All testing was done with the nVidia binary driver installed from the repository.

So long

LastCoder
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
UNCHAINED Demo Group
darkscout Wrote:What would they have chosen from Debian? It's a 100% compiled from source very specific distro that includes literally the bare essentials. It's like being disappointed NASA didn't choose a Ford for the Moon Rover.

I have tested some very specific distros - as long as they work it's fine. But very specific means very specific problems too that are hard to master without the thousands of people using and helping in forums and wikis .. using a base system from one of the three big distros Slackware, Redhat or Debian is IMHO much more efficent ..

.. especially debian: something is missed ? a library ? a driver ? an application ? simply try apt-get or find a *.deb package .. OpenELEC as specific distro is nice for "run out of the box" users (as long as it runs out of the box) but special customizing will become a long long journey No ...

darkscout Wrote:If you just want a base Debian. Install a base Debian.

I tried but XBMC and PVR is better supported on Ubuntu platforms (I know it has roots in debian ;-) .. less headache Wink ..

.. a media PC, especially if used as HTPC that has to fulfill a high WAF Laugh better uses well known software ..

So long

LastCoder
UNCHAINED Demo Group

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux XBMC platform: Hardware help0