To Have or Not to Have a DVD player
I am setting up a HTPC using XBMC and am now wondering if I need a DVD player/writer to be installed in the case. The reason that I ask this is because many of the small sized cases do not have a front opening for the DVD device.
Logic tells me that having a player/writer is a good idea but then again if one is using mostly archived movies from a hard disk is the DVD unit really needed?
Please give me your comments as I am wanting to buy a new case soon!
Thank you in advance.
Not that hard...
Do you want to watch DVDs?
Do you want to burn DVDs?

If the answer to one of the 2 questions is YES, you need a DVD RW.
DVD is phasing out very fast. The question should be- do you want to watch blu-ray/dvd on bd-rom? If the answere is yes, you should be able to find a case with bd-rom slot and a bd-rom within your price range!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
If its only about the case you could get one of the small miniITX cases and get a slimline Bluray drive later when you need it.
Imo the even smaller cases suck anyway aslong as you want to use something > atom because you have next to zero air flow. (Or you buy sth really expensive)

And I dont know why anyone would ever use DVDs again you can just rip them to about 1/4 of the size at the same quality and dont need discs.
Thank you All for the replies;
The answer to your question is that sometimes I might get a DVD/Blue Ray from a friend to watch. The second issue is of course air flow with the very slim cases.
A good idea though about going the external BD option.

Thanks again.
I just have a Blu-Ray player in my (Windows 7) server. Generally if I want to watch a DVD or Blu-Ray I'll rip it first, but I've also got the drive shared so I can pop a disc in there and access it from my HTPCs.
Canuk Wrote:Thank you All for the replies;
The answer to your question is that sometimes I might get a DVD/Blue Ray from a friend to watch. The second issue is of course air flow with the very slim cases.
A good idea though about going the external BD option.

Thanks again.
You'll be fine with BD-ROM in a Mini-itx case. I don't have any problem with air flow or overheat with a standard size BD-ROM in my Mini-itx case.
I put a BD/DVD player in mine "just in case" about two years ago. At $75 or so for the drive, I figured it was a good option if I ever wanted to use it.

I've never used it...
fryed_1 Wrote:I put a BD/DVD player in mine "just in case" about two years ago. At $75 or so for the drive, I figured it was a good option if I ever wanted to use it.

I've never used it...
You must not have Netflix and Redbox then. I enjoy pop in BD from Netflix and Redbox in BD-ROM, and I use BD-ROM on all my HTPC's.
Yeah it depends on you really. I put one in my htpc and have only used it a handful of times. For the most part, if I have a dvd I like, it is ripped on my hard drive anyway from another pc, so the need for one on my htpc is kinda rare.
Thank you all for the feedback, my thinking regarding this matter is similar to all of your thoughts.

Thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
To Have or Not to Have a DVD player0