How to make Several windows user profiles share the same xbmc data
Ok so i have 2 W7 user profiles 1 of which loads up xbmc when i log in and is set up just how i want. the other user profile is set up with the same media sources but it downloads new media info whenever i've got new stuff even if the other one already has the info.
so how do i make them mirror each other, so i do not have duplicate files?
I'm running 10.1 dharma with confluence.
And i'm a noob so i will need step by step instructions.
thanks in advance
You could use portable mode.

By default XBMC stores data in the user profile directories provided by Windows, and each user gets their own separate set of data. If you run XBMC with the argument -p then all the data is stored in "C:\Program Files\XBMC\portable_data" and all users can share the same set of data.

Some notes:

The "C:\Program Files" directories are read-only for non-administrator users. I'd be inclined to do a new clean installation into e.g. C:\XBMC, so the user data would be in "C:\XBMC\portable_data". Then you don't have to worry about the file permissions.

To start XBMC in portable mode right click the XBMC icon (on the Start menu or on the desktop as appropriate) and choose Properties. In the Target field will be something like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe"

change this to be:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -p

JR
I've now done this for both, but it has not worked they have just stayed the same.
Oh i've just remembered that i think i had to install XBMC seperatly on both user profiles, i don't know if this somehow effects it.
And both of the windows user profiles are admins.
Please help
DanTheHam Wrote:I've now done this for both, but it has not worked they have just stayed the same.
Oh i've just remembered that i think i had to install XBMC seperatly on both user profiles, i don't know if this somehow effects it.
And both of the windows user profiles are admins.
Please help

Yes it does affect it. You need to run the XBMC.exe from the SAME folder.

Also, on Windows 7, you need to change the permissions of the XBMC folder so that the Users group has full rights to it and remove the read-only bit.
[4 Kodi Clients + 4 Norco RPC-4224 Media Servers w/376 TB HDD Space]
Thankyou bot for taking the time to offer solutions

I've done everything suggested and still no luck.

I've just checked and XBMC is stored here - "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe"

shortcuts on both windows user profiles desktop have the following targets "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe" - p

I've done this "change permissions of the XBMC folder so that the Users group has full rights to it and remove the read-only bit". i did this by right clicking on xbmc folder > properties > click read only.
sharing> share> enter both names of users.

Once i've clicked read only it applies the changes then i close the folder properties then open it again and the read only box is filled with blue again, it won't stay off.

Surely someone can help.
Any help would be much appreciated
Cheers
Do you have User Access Control enabled? If so Windows won't allow write access to the Program Files folder. Copy (dont' move) the XBMC folder to C: so it's C:\XBMC, then update the shortcuts to point to the new location.

JR
ok so i have moved the xbmc folder to where you've suggested turned off user access control and changed the shortcut target and ended them with "- p".
still no difference.
If you think about this tho it makes no sense at all anyway because how would it know which xbmc setup i actually wanted? how would one user profile know to copy the other.
There has got to be someones whos got the setup i want who knows how to do it from the ground up.
Code:
-p

not

Code:
- p
[4 Kodi Clients + 4 Norco RPC-4224 Media Servers w/376 TB HDD Space]
thanks for the solution last time. I've now got another problem with a clean install of win 7 and portable mode I can't get it to work on the new Eden release. when I change the target of the xbmc icon to "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -p it comes up with an error saying check target name. I've just got it to allow me to apply -p (randomly accepted it but when I launch xbmc I get an error message" capplication::Create0 failed - check log file and that it is writable"
If you can help that would be much appreciated

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to make Several windows user profiles share the same xbmc data0