Force TV resolution in ATV2
Hi,

I have the 4.4.3 version of the Apple TV Software running on my ATV2.

The Audio & Video settings in ATV2 allow to choose TV resolution. I know for a fact that my TV can support 720p/60Hz, but the ATV2 refuses to switch to this resolution and reports that my TV possibly does not support it.

Am I correct in thinking that XBMC Eden will use the TV Resolution as set by ATV2 software?

Is there any way of forcing the resolution?

I suspect that the issue is caused by some sort of incompatibility between the ATV 4.4.3 software and my Panasonic TV.

Ideally I would like to overide the error when switching to 720p/60Hz and force ATV2 to output that resolution.

Any ideas?
tried 4.4.4? sounds like incompatibility yes ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks, will try that. I wasn't aware of the 4.4.4 version..
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it will not work.

I have the same problem - my TV (a panasonic 3D plasma) definately can display that, and other equipment does recognize that correctly. But I cannot get my AppleTV to use that resolution - even though I am using 4.4.4

So I am forced to use shitty 50Hz for 60Hz content...

EmKay
Thanks for that.

The problem seems to be based on the HDMI handshaking with the display device, during which the TV is asked for its preferred display frequency, as stored in its EDID, and the Apple TV will respect that.

I am considering purchasing an HDMI Detective Plus to fit between my ATV2 and my TV. I believe you can program this device to transmit a continuous EDID to ATV2 with whatever frequencies you prefer. In effect the ATV2 will handshake with the HDMI Detective Plus instead of my TV and the desired resolution will passed through to my TV.

Not keen on the idea of spending extra money to fix something that Apple could fix in their software though.

I presume the reason they don't program their software to allow users to force a resolution is to reduce support requests from end users who don't know what they are doing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Force TV resolution in ATV20