Playing direct from USB without adding to Library?
Hi All,

I can't seem to find anything on this subject (which I find strange) but appolgise if it has been asked before.

Is there a way to plug a USB drive into my PC and run the video off it without loading the directory into the library?
Kind of like the way 'play DVD' appears when a disk is put in the drive.

Thanks in advance for any help

Darren
If your using dharma you can use file view:
Videos -->Files

In eden beta it merged with the library so you will have to add the source (i.e. the usb drive) but not scan it to library.
(i think that's right)

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
that's what I thought, I have only played with XBMC for the past few months and getting my HTPC tomorrow.

I can remember file view in XBMC but I have installed Eden and cannot seem to do it, I use a lot of video editing software and just wanted to play my clips quickly and easily through xbmc from my USB HDD without adding the source.

Hopefully something will come out to allow this.

thanks

Darren
As pseudo7 already mentioned:

- Add your USB drive as a source
- do not scan this source to library (you don't even have to set a scraper)
- use the videos link from your main menu (I am using Alaska, I hope the naming is similar in Confluence)
- choose your previously generated source
- browse and play files

This should work in Eden, I use the same technique to play files from sources I don't want in my library.
It should be mounted as a source automatically..
vikjon0 Wrote:It should be mounted as a source automatically..

Indeed. Eden should show it in the file list when you put in the USB drive without having to add a source.
Ned Scott Wrote:Indeed. Eden should show it in the file list when you put in the USB drive without having to add a source.

It doesn't seem to, it could be this laptop (I'm trial & error'ing before my revo turns up to get a config I like).

If I plug the usb drive in windows can see it and I can add it as a source but doesn't show up in any menu in XBMC. I might try uninstalling and wiping everything then re-installing as I have been playing around so much I may have ballsed something up along the way Smile

Darren
XBMC should show removable drives automatically, but the USB disk may be treated as a fixed disk not a removable drive. In that case you would need to manually add a source for it. I recall some recent debate about the treatment of USB disks, but i can't remember the outcome.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing direct from USB without adding to Library?0