[LINUX] ubuntu notifications during movie cause flicker
I'm on mythbuntu 11.10 (Kernel 3.0.0.14, XFCE, Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6530D), using XBMC 11.0-PRE (Compiled: Jan 13 2012) and noticed the following problem:

While watching a movie (from DVD or HD) and a notification pops up (eg. "new updates available" or "disconnected from network") the movie begins to flicker. More precisely this happens when the notification fades out. The movie still plays in the background (sound is not disturbed) but the image freezes and rapidly turns off (black) and on (still image). I can reproduce this by forcing a notification with "notify-send 'hello world'" over ssh:

Code:
# ssh username@ip
# DISPLAY=:0; XAUTHORITY=~username:0/.Xauthority; export DISPLAY XAUTHORITY
# notify-send "hello world"

This does not happen while in menu and as soon as I press ESC, the flickering stops (and everything is back to normal).

I assume it has something to do with the fading out of the popup witch wants to do some fancy compositing. When XBMC is running in a window, this doesn't happen. Is there a way to run XBMC in a sort of fullscreen-window? Like fullscreen but with the possibility to use ALT-TAB? (I can set XBMC to windowed and then manually make it fullscreen via the window-manager, but this is a bit cumbersome Wink (notificiations are then completely invisible))
En/disabling VSync doesn't make a change.

I also have the impression that this didn't happen a few versions (=weeks) ago, but I'm not sure.

Sincerely, iliis
[oh, and thanks for XBMC, it's awesome!]
I solved it somewhat by setting XBMC to window-mode and making it fullscreen with Devil's Pie. I also had to disable the ubuntu screensaver, as it didn't recognise XBMC as "do-not-distrub-fullscreen" anymore.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] ubuntu notifications during movie cause flicker0