Does ATV 1 need Linux OS to play 1080p?
Hi,

I've have an ATV 1 running XBMC. I've purchased a Broadcom Crystal card but have yet to install it. While trying to learn and understand XBMC I've become a bit confused with achieving optimal performance from my system.

Do I need to run Linux OS on the ATV 1 to be able to play 1080p?
Is there any reason to put Linux OS on my ATV 1?

I always thought that the Broadcom Crystal HD installation will allow me to play 1080p, and then when I started reading more into it, the Linux OS stuff completely confused me.

Please help.

Thanks
Yes, you need Linux to run 1080p. It's simple to get working. Download the CrystalHD installer and have it create a USB boot disk. You then simply boot the AppleTV off the USB drive and...presto, you have an ATV1 running Crystalbuntu (Linux).

If you decide you no longer want the stock AppleTV OS, you can re-run the CrystalHD installer and have it create a USB boot disk that will install itself onto the hard drive. I've done both methods and find that crystalbuntu runs faster on the HD vs the USB drive.

http://www.stmlabs.com/projects/crystalhd-for-appletv/
The BCHD will playback 1080 on the original ATV OS, but it won't output a 1080 signal to the TV. In other words, 1080 will be downscaled to 720, but it will play.

However, I strongly recommend loading Crystalbuntu on there. The GUI is much more responsive, and the additional 1080 output is nice to have. Like m_lopez_h said, just make it run off a USB drive so you can give it a test run without having to install it. Or always run it off of USB.
It runs 1080p using orignal ATV OS pretty much perfect, maybe apart from a slight stuttering at the beginning because of the low memory of the ATV.
But as Ned says, it wont output 1080p because the ATV OS actually is using 720p which I guess it upscaled to 1080p in the GPU. (correct me if Im wrong).

However, you can set the output to 1080i and everything will in fact render at 1280x1080. It does look a little sharper than 720p, and not really that far from true 1080p output. But you must adjust the aspect ratio to exactly 1.50 under video calibration. You won´t lose anything running at 1080p, since 1080i still has room for both progressive 24 and 30fps sources, and it is an easy job your TV to deinterlace as progressive (film based) sources. And if your sources are interlaced (video based) then then it´s an easier job for XBMC since it doesnt have to de-interlace the material but leave it up to your TV.

I like having the original OS around, espescially since I can install the hack to enable composite output to my old CRT TV. However I also use Crystalbuntu on another ATV.

You could also install OSX Leopard and have true 1080p output. Only downside is the slight (sometimes) tearing like artifacts at the lower area of the screen when navigating inside XBMC. Even automatic refresh rate changing works but it is kinda slow because of the disk trashing. Should be OK with an SSD installed though Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does ATV 1 need Linux OS to play 1080p?0