Xbmc freezes lock-ups when starting videos
(2012-04-30, 03:47)wiz561 Wrote: Jan-Erik,

Thanks for the information, but I knew it wouldn't be this easy. I did a do-release-upgrade (but not to the devel....to the lts one), and I blew up my box. It updated OK, but I got the dreaded opengl error. I believe this is because the nvidia driver is not loading in x11 and it's the nouveau one. When I try to install nvidia-current (remove, purge, install), I get a bunch of error messages and it fails to load the nvidia driver.

I try to install the nvidia one from their web site (the .run file), and it fails to install because of the nouveau one.

I should have known better. Oh well, I really don't want to, but I might try to go to the LTS and just rebuild from scratch than use the xbmcbuntu one. It's a shame because Dharma worked wonders....i mean, it's like I didn't have one single problem with it. I figured Eden would be a step up and everything would continue to work, but I was wrong. Sad Hopefully the clean install and the PPA's will be good.

Hi wiz561, hope I can save you?

I been there too with the OpenGL problem, read post #66 in this thread and I explain your problem and the fix.
It looks like the upgrade make two different boot options. You have to select the right Linux version ending in ".generic" under "Previous Linux versions" and you're back in business. Later post explain how to automatically bot into the right Linux version.

PM me and later today I send you the full steps I used.

BTW: I still have no reason to change my signature after two days.
/Jan-Erik

XBMCbuntu Eden
Acer Aspire 3600, NVidia ION
Linux 3.0.0-24-generic (Now running stable without any freeze)

Messages In This Thread
I have the same issue - by funkt4life - 2012-01-19, 12:40
RE: Xbmc freezes lock-ups when starting videos - by Jan-Erik - 2012-04-30, 07:53
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc freezes lock-ups when starting videos3