• 8(current)
Xbmc freezes lock-ups when starting videos
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to offend you. As wsnipex stated, I do appreciate all the help we get from the community. Note that development for Linux is quite hard, in particular when dealing with proprietary drivers from vendors like NVidia. We don't get much documentation. Often it's a try and error game. Things you think working because you don't notice any problems may cause issues on slightly different setups.
I might be responsible for the mess you are currently observing with regard on vdpau. We tried to fix the crashes on 64bit systems just prior to releasing Eden. I have become more careful.
I have given you the link to "Howto Install XBMC "PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs" because wsnipex has a ppa of a testing branch which originally started just for XvBA but now also includes the work for vdpau.
Point taken. Wink

I would advise anyone with this issue, try openelec. Their 2.0 betas (eden based) do not have this issue (at least not with my 2 zotac boxes) and is pretty much XBMCLive. Some great users even post AE builds which (once you find the right one, it is based off XBMC nightlies) is working great on Zotac ID41s (atom processors ION2 graphics) for a number of people.

I too am frustrated with this same thing, this isn't a bug in my opinion but a pretty big issue. One that does deserve an official patch, I am actually surprised more people don't have the issue, but I know little of the technical side of the issue.

In general, I was excited to see at least monthly official beta builds (a year between releases is pretty long), sad to see that xbmcbuntu doesn't seem to fall into that category.

Yet this is OpenSource, though larger then most, still has the same type of problems. Many people are donating their time and expertise; coordinating releases, updating documentation (like the 100 year old PPA post) is NOT the fun stuff. Companies have to pay people to do all that busy work. All the "fun" stuff is the problem solving and creation of solutions, new features etc. We can't blame people for focusing on the fun stuff when they are donating their time.

While yes I too would rather use official builds, we can't jump down their throat like if we were a paying customer, cause we are not. Honestly if XBMC wasn't hands down the best local media playback solution, I would have ditched it a long time ago for many of the settop media players out there like Boxee or Popbox, Dune etc.

I am becoming a big fan of openelec, they add a bit to the table but its the small features that are awesome. One of my favorites is the command to upload logs and spit out a URL. Just a small feature but one that makes posting issues way easy for us linux knuckle draggers.

there is your xbmcbuntu upgrade: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=134252

wsnipex,
Thanks for sharing the ptr..... I tried it out on the 12.04 alpha on an a6 and nd22, on the a6 box works great however I can't get the audio to work on nd22....also the internal nfs support seems broken.... the disclaimer about "testing purpose" is definitely true on this one Smile, did seem to fix the hung for me on the nd22 box though.

Ideally if someone can provide a 11.0 iso build with FernetMenta fixes that would be a great interim solution until all new changes are reviewed/merged. Given xbmcbuntu is geared more for novices I think if someone can put a sticky with a pointer to this iso I think it'll cut down a lot of the support issues you guys need to deal with, my .02c Smile. I saw a 11.0 with xvba build on xbmcfreaks unfortunately that build seems older and don't yet have vdpau enabled Sad

dandrik,
I've been a big fan for openelec for a while, ability to config boxes via samba is quite handy, unfortunately their newer betas have their own share of issues ( re: new ffmpeg changes). Their new betas segfault so frequent on my intel boxes I'd to switch to run xbmcbuntus on them.....

@dandrik:
openelec also uses backported patches out of fernetmenta master together with ffmpeg out of 12pre.

@waver123:
concerning the nfs problem, can you see if libnfs1 is installed? Sometimes a symlink is missing. If you turn on debug logging, this would really help.

For the sound issue: make sure that the device you are using is not muted (alsamixer -c0 for hdmi or alsamixer -c1 for optical spdif and analog). You can unmute by pressing ><
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2012-06-18, 19:08)waver123 Wrote: Ideally if someone can provide a 11.0 iso build with FernetMenta fixes that would be a great interim solution until all new changes are reviewed/merged. Given xbmcbuntu is geared more for novices I think if someone can put a sticky with a pointer to this iso I think it'll cut down a lot of the support issues you guys need to deal with, my .02c Smile. I saw a 11.0 with xvba build on xbmcfreaks unfortunately that build seems older and don't yet have vdpau enabled Sad

when FernetMenta told you to use my ppa, he meant exactly that. Using that ppa on xbmcbuntu 11 will give you those fixes.
There is no need to always reinstall the whole system or build a new iso, just update the xbmc package via the ppa.
Aah, been having this issue for months, just found this thread...

So it looks like the options are:

1) Always ensure you wait a second or two before pushing enter on a video if you've just moved the cursor a lot
2) Wait until Frodo comes out sometime between August and December, then use it...
3) Use the PPA provided by wsnipex - Is there an Eden fix, or Frodo alpha? And it will work directly on a stock install of XBMCUbuntu 11.0?
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
ad 3) Frodo Alpha. Should work on Xbmcbuntu 11.

wsnipex,
your current build and frodo alpha still needs to have vdpau interop yuv disabled, is that correct?
yes, correct
Hi,

finally I kicked my NVidia GT430 out of the machine .. especially to much power for video/music and tv viewing .. by then the system run Xubuntu 11.10 (sucked) with NVidia's own linux drivers (not nouveau) .. now it's an Ubuntu 12.04 Server and I'm using the built-in Intel HD graphics (Celeron G530) with xserver-xorg-video-intel drivers .. to cut a long story short - problem disappeared .. so I guess: it's a NVidia-related problem ..

So long

LastCoder
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
PS3 BD Remote Control Daemon for Kodi/Linux
UNCHAINED Demo Group
Maybe its an NVIDIA-related problem, but not in 12.04 anymore. I am also using a GT430 in my HTPC, and had the crashed with Ubuntu earlier than 12.04. But with Ubuntu 12.04 they disappeard.
(2012-07-19, 13:10)Pyromaniac Wrote: Maybe its an NVIDIA-related problem, but not in 12.04 anymore. I am also using a GT430 in my HTPC, and had the crashed with Ubuntu earlier than 12.04. But with Ubuntu 12.04 they disappeard.

Same here, I upgraded to 12.04 some pages ago Wink and no freeze anymore. Just check my signature
/Jan-Erik

XBMCbuntu Eden
Acer Aspire 3600, NVidia ION
Linux 3.0.0-24-generic (Now running stable without any freeze)
Hi There. I'm following this thread with great interest because I also have the same problem. What i don't really understand is why this thread isn't more active? It seems like no good solution is present atm ? U understand that wsnipex has a fix in a seperate PPA. But does this work if you use the downloaded XBMCBuntu? And if the fix is present, will it really take till the new release of XBMCBuntu in the end of this year till we get the real fix? (I don't really understand why XBMCBuntu isn't included in the monthly builds :S). This highly discourages the use of XBMCBuntu. I really don't want to switch to XBMCFreaks version or openelec, but these crashes are highly annoying!

Is there anyone who knows how the isolate the VDPAU fixes from wsnipex to incorporate in XBMCBuntu 11? Is some kind of hotfix something we can expect?

I think my situation (New XBMCBuntu 11 install) is a pretty default one which more of you could have (I recently changed from XBMCLive because some plugins aren't supported anymore). Could someone explain what I should do best? The rest of XBMCBuntu is working fine for me so I would really like to fix this...

Thanks in advance.

Greets, Martin
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc freezes lock-ups when starting videos3