XMBC buggy after install on ATV1
I recently had some issues develop with my ATV1 which was modded with patchstick, nito, and XBMC & Boxee. It had been working fine for almost a year... all I can figure is somebody was playing with the ATV remote and maybe screwed it up. Anyway, I did a factory restore and started from scratch, ATV has latest update, used Smart Installer, etc. and finished up fine.

The bizarre thing is everything is working fine with the exception of XBMC. Boxee found my remote media drive, scanned it and my library is there and functional. OTH, XBMC comes up on the screen but there's no means to search for or locate or Add that same USB media drive. Boxee plays the movies just fine.

I have tried the factory restore twice and also tried both Dharma and Eden. So any ideas somebody wants to throw out there I'm all ears.

My iMac is running OSX 10.6.8

Doc
video -> add source. xbmc will not automatically find your video sources and add them.
davilla Wrote:video -> add source. xbmc will not automatically find your video sources and add them.

Yeah... thats what I expected, but when I try to find anything that says "Add Source" its not there. I would post screen shots but for some reason I can't just yet.
add Video.. maybe.
davilla Wrote:add Video.. maybe.

Nope... there is no means to add anything. It shows Desktop and a bunch of other options, but not any drives that are physically attached to my Mac, and the ATV is hard-wired via ethernet. It shows "Volumes" but clicking on that doesn't show anything.

I'm going to rebuild from scratch this morning. I unplugged overnight and will do a factory reset, then run my patchstick and the support stuff.

Doc
OK... did fresh rebuild of my ATV1, followed all the prescribed instructions in sequence, confirmed via terminal that the 10.4.9 dmg file is in there, and confirmed that Boxee did allow me to Add Source which was my remote Media USB drive, successfully scanned the movies and it works... ran a couple of movies for a few minutes each.

Exited Boxee, went to XMBC, Browse for new share and it shows:

Desktop
HDHomerun Devices
Home Folder
Media
OSBoot
ReplayTV Devices
SAP Streams

And that's it. Its not seeing the connected USB drive like Boxee is. I've done the rebuild 3-4 times this week and can't figure out why XMBC runs... but won't itself allow me to find my Media drive (the Media folder listed above is not my remote drive). Since I can't see it, can someone post a picture of where the "Add Source" line is that will show a remote USB drive?

Doc
Eden Beta 1 will automatically show USB drives connected directly to the ATV1 in the files view.
Been there, tried that... totally blank. ATV1 working just fine with Boxee after factory restore, and I confirmed that the 10.4.9 dmg is there via terminal. I even have tried deleting the App & User data approach then reinstalling Eden. Still doesn't work. Very confusing that the ATV is working fine, sees the USB remote drive via ethernet in Boxee but not in either XMBC app and I thought that XMBC was required to allow Boxee to see a "add source" USB drive?

Hopefully someone on the development team is thinking about this. I honestly can't figure it out. If it was corrupt in some way, how would Boxee work, and after 4-5 restores and rebuilds, nothing has changed?

Weird.
USB drive over Ethernet is a totally different thing. That is just a network share. What protocol are you using to share the networked drive? Do you see it in the XBMC ZeroConf browser?
Ned Scott Wrote:USB drive over Ethernet is a totally different thing. That is just a network share. What protocol are you using to share the networked drive? Do you see it in the XBMC ZeroConf browser?

In Boxee, I was able to "Add Source" and I believe use Samba (is that smb?). How do I activate/add the XMBC ZeroConf browser? Don't believe I've seen it yet.
Scroll down in the "add network location" window.
Ned Scott Wrote:Scroll down in the "add network location" window.

I had scrolled down before, but never went beyond the last visible option. Turns out I'm a lunkhead because I should've kept scrolling. Yeah... I found it and thanks LOL.

One other thing Ned... actually more... right now I have a list on the left with not much in the way of an accurate (small) "poster" for the movie on the right. Is Confluence capable of showing me somewhat accurate movie posters or the graphics used on a dvd cover with a synopsis? Or is that only found on Boxee? Or should I switch to Eden and with that in mind, how stable is Eden? Just download it from the launcher right?

Doc
Select the movie, press "i" to bring up movie info, then select "get thumb" and that should let you select a different cover.

Eden's pretty stable right now. Lots of great new features.
Ned Scott Wrote:Select the movie, press "i" to bring up movie info, then select "get thumb" and that should let you select a different cover.

Eden's pretty stable right now. Lots of great new features.

So I don't have to use a particular "scraper" I think I had selected MTV? Eden looks awesome in the screen shots... think I'll load it and see if I like it. Will I have to do the add source stuff all over?Oo

OK, quick edit: You say to press "i" to bring up movie info? Where is the menu for that located since I'm using an AppleTV and don't have a keyboard unless I find one in the menus. I did use the side menu to bring up thumbnails, but how do I get to Eden and then Aeon and use the type of screen in the 2nd down in the left-hand column? Also, do I need to delete Dharma & Confluence to use Eden? Seems like its reverting back to Dharma bc I have both downloaded.

Doc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XMBC buggy after install on ATV10