Mutiple clients + TV Server (with PVR)
Hi

I havent switched over to XBMC yet (currently using VMC Shocked)
Im looking the software setup as its currently a bit hit and miss.

The kind of setup I am after is having mutiple nodes (4 total) connected to the network where they can stream live tv/stored media from a central location

I would also like the ability to have time shifting (but stored on a central server and not on the nodes!)

PVR functionality would be nice with it all recorded onto a central server accessed from any node

At the core of the network I will be having (currently):

HP ProCurve 24 Port Gigabit

pfSense Firewall
Provides DNS etc to the network

File Server
This will not be 24/7 and hoping this will power up when required, not too sure how I am going to work this yet

Primary storage on this will be backups, movies, music and tv episodes
  • 20TB RAID6 (subject to change still)
  • Core 2 Duo E6600
  • 8GB DDR2
  • 2x Gigabit lan teamed

Primary Server (powered on 24/7)
Primary use of this will be for work, but with some room for home automation!
I am also thinking about dropping in a BlackGold dual t2/dual s2 tuner
  • 640GB RAID10
  • AMD FX6100 CPU
  • 16GB DDR3
  • 2x Gigabit lan teamed
  • Pinnicle i7010 (think this is the tv tuner i have)

The current nodes:
  • Zotac ITX System (Windows or Linux C2D E6400, 2GB RAM)
  • ITX system (Windows or Linux, C2D T5500, 2GB RAM)
  • MacBook Pro (i7, streaming over wireless N and gigabit)
  • Sony Vaio Laptop (i5, 4GB Ram, windows 7)

Am I dreaming too much here? is this even possible?

Im pretty clued up with linux, networking etc just new to this software and if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated Smile
Setting up a central storage location for multiple XBMC devices to access is pretty trivial. Whether you use NFS, SMB, or whatever else XBMC understands. It's pretty flexible that way.

It gets fun if you want to try to syncronize XBMC libraries across devices. The benefit of a syncronized library is the media source updates (art downloads, imdb info, watched status, media tags, etc) happen once for all devices. Check out the how-to in the wiki.

It's also possible to setup your primary server as a DLNA server (XBMC lets you do this, I believe, if you don't have anything else) and you can stream the content to the nodes without any real local library (as I understand it).

I don't know anything about PVR-ing or the time-shifting stuff. However, there is a Myth TV plugin (pretty sure) and there is a lot of info on how to set it up in the wiki here.

There is lot of info already in the forums for just about anything you're going to encounter. I'd suggest browsing through the XBMC Wiki if you have time. LOTS of info is there.

Ciao.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mutiple clients + TV Server (with PVR)0