Is gpu decoding really that important?
Hi,

I am trying to decide between an Intel G620 or A6-3500, now the AMD choice is going to cost a fair amount more as I am after a mini-itx motherboard for it. Thinking about it the Intel G620 should be able to do cpu decoding no problems even for the largest of 1080p films, so is there any issue with just using the Intel setup without GPU decoding to get around all of the Intel HD issues. I know the power usage will be higher but surely it won't be that much higher. I am keen with the Intel setup as it has a low idle power as I want to run it 24/7 idling.

So am I thinking in the right way thinking you can use the Intel setup well just using CPU decoding? I guess it will use ~10-20W more whilst playing a video but I don't see the issue so much as it isn't like you are playing video all the time.
and the Intel G620 ist in most cases combined with Intel HD Graphics GPU on board, while AMD A6-3500 has the GPU on Chip along with the CPU cores called Vision Technology to decode HD content.

So in both cases the GPU does the work, when properly configured.

...and yes, it is important. It makes life much easier and enables low-power htpc's based on cpu's like Intel Atom cpu's with nVidía GPU or VIA with a GPU or AMD E-350 APU with radeon GPU etc. to play hd content with power consumption for the whole system (~20W) - of a third of the Intel CPU G620 (65W) only.
xbmcg Wrote:and the Intel G620 is in most cases combined with Intel HD Graphics GPU on board

Assuming your talking about windows and whether the Intel GPU plays nicely with DXVA which is probably why he asked Smile

I think your have to wait for someone with a Intel G620 to see if software only decoding works with 1080p because XBMC doesn't currently support multi-threading
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Yeah I am on about running on Win 7. I had forgotten that XBMC does not support multi-threading. Does Eden support that at all? I guess a way round it is to use an external player with XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is gpu decoding really that important?0