video library - include home videos and files that failed to scrape
Question 
I feel like i'm missing something fundamental ...

I have a working xbmc setup, video library seems to be showing files that scraped successfully, and i'm getting all of my fanart no problems. Looks great. But, I've spent a couple weeks now researching and playing with xbmc trying to get files that can't be scraped to show up in the library, but it doesn't seem possible.

For my main setup in my living room, i've added a link to the menu to navigate to video files (instead of the library) - and it looks like eden made this a little easier with confluence. Fine, lost some functionality, like showing scraped names instead of file names on objects that successfully scraped. Workaround was ok though, so i moved on. until,

Now i've moved onto a new phase in my setup - getting UPNP working so my other tv's around the house (running google tv's media player) can playback video. Everything plays back great... IF... the video is in xbmc's video library. I have many files that are not in the library. They effectively fall in two categories:

1. Home videos - i've seen quite a few postings recommend using nfo files for these. Lame. I'm not going to go through and create nfo files for all of my home videos. I'd like to just add a folder, call it video files, maybe tag it with a "home videos" category, and then just hope xbmc uses filename and the video name. That doesn't seem to exist, can anyone help me here? :confused2:

2. Dynamically changing video files from my PVR. With recent additions of live tv integration, i've started using backends with PVR functionality. The problem is, EPG data occasionally does not contain all of the required info for scrapers. But in all instances, puts the clip in the right folder. What i'd hope is xbmc would recognize the folder, scan files if possible, but if scrape fails, add the object to the library and use file name as video name and folder as show name. This doesn't seem to exist either, can anyone help me with this one too? :confused2:

I guess in all, i'm looking for a way to add files to xbmc's library when the scrape fails. Possibly even allowing me to update the record in the db after it's added (that would be cool). I wouldn't even care if xbmc dropped an nfo file on the disk and then relied on xbmc to rescan. While it's not tidy, there are a lot of things about the PVR and xbmc that arn't tidy... the benefit of xbmc is it puts a tidy interface on top of the file system.

Thanks in advance, hopefully not too wordy
You can create a movie.nfo file and put it in the same folder as your home movie. Then when you update the library it should pick it up.

I have done this for videos the scrapers weren't picking up.

All of the info should be in the wiki.
GavinCampbell Wrote:All of the info should be in the wiki.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Imp...g_XML_data

JR
ok... so i've done this before, but not with help from others, so maybe you can direct me where i'm going wrong, or maybe we have a misunderstanding

using a show from my dynamically changing set of recorded tv shows, Jeopardy, i created first a movie.nfo file, updated the library, nothing.... then created a tvshow.nfo file, updated the library, nothing..... here are the files:

Code:
<movie>
        <title>Jeopardy!</title>
        <originaltitle>Jeopardy</originaltitle>
        <sorttitle>Jeopardy</sorttitle>
        <set></set>
        <rating>6.100000</rating>
        <year></year>
        <top250>0</top250>
        <votes>50</votes>
        <outline></outline>
        <plot></plot>
        <tagline></tagline>
        <runtime></runtime>
        <thumb></thumb>
        <mpaa>Not available</mpaa>
        <playcount>0</playcount>
        <watched>false</watched>
        <id>tt0432337</id>
        <filenameandpath></filenameandpath>
        <trailer></trailer>
        <genre></genre>
        <credits></credits>
        <director></director>
    </movie>

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<tvshow>
    <title>Jeopardy!</title>
    <rating>9.300001</rating>
    <year>0</year>
    <top250>0</top250>
    <season>-</season>
    <episode></episode>
    <displayseason>-1</displayseason>
    <displayepisode>-1</displayepisode>
    <votes></votes>
    <outline></outline>
    <plot></plot>
    <tagline></tagline>
    <runtime></runtime>
    <playcount>0</playcount>
    <lastplayed></lastplayed>
    <episodeguide>
        <url cache="77075.xml">http://www.thetvdb.com/api/1D62F2F90030C444/series/77075/all/en.zip</url>
    </episodeguide>
    <id>77075</id>
    <genre>Reality</genre>
    <set></set>
    <credits></credits>
    <director></director>
    <premiered>2003-01-23</premiered>
    <status></status>
    <code></code>
    <aired></aired>
    <studio>Discovery</studio>
    <trailer></trailer>
</tvshow>

Am i understanding the documentation and you correctly that if i put the tvshow.nfo file in the root of the jeopardy folder, i should then see the files within that folder in the library using the nfo file's details? I find it confusing that the tvshow.nfo file has season and episode number when it's generically referring to the folder at large. Are those optional fields?

Regardless, i created the nfo file and updated my library, but didn't see the individual video clips populate
Yes, the season+episode fields are not required for a tvshow nfo (and are ignored)

For the individual video clips, they still have to match the normal regexps, and need to be found in the episodeguide you give it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

that's where i left the problem last time i used nfo files too. I have episodes being put into subfolders that don't have valid regexps because the epg data is insufficient. Keep in mind this data changes constantly (dump from my dvr), it's not a set of files i can fix once and be happy the xbmc library looks great. I'm left with a video library that i can't trust to contain all the files. I was hoping for a solution that would have a catch all for shows like jeopardy that frequently have insufficient data to be scanned by xmbc.

short of any ideas for these files, i'm still left with being disappointed with xmbc's library. Getting into UPNP more, i need a fully populated library, or different software
Actually, I think the requirement for matching the season/episode regexps has been dropped in Eden - not 100 though - give it a go.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

if you could point me at some information for that jmarshal, that would be awesome. From what i can tell, it's not working in my setup.

I have a tvshow.nfo file in my jeopardy folder, i know xbmc is using it because i have the title slightly modified from what the scrapper would normally use. But none of the files in the folder are being added to the library, even ones with good regexp: "Jeopardy! (3-23-2011 - S2011E323) (recoded Thu, 01-19-2012,1630).ts"
I know this thread is a bit old, but did anyone ever find a solution for naming episodes of Jeopardy!? I have a few shows and just tried to add them with no luck.
I thought I would follow up since I have had some success with this after some trial and error. I went to thetvdb site and did a search for Jeopardy. Once I was at the page for that show, I copied the URL and created a tvshow.nfo file with nothing but the URL in it. I created a Jeopardy folder under my TVshows folder and placed the tvshow.nfo file in the folder. Then I created season subfolders named "Season 2011" and so on for each year of shows I had. I then named the shows based on the dates listed from thetvdb site, example would be "Jeopardy!.2011.04.22.mkv". I did a library update and now it shows up under TV shows in XBMC and has the appropriate data associated with the show. I hope this helps someone in the future. After many searches, it seems sadly there are not that many Jeopardy fans out there using XBMC.

While I realize this originally started with dynamically changing files from a PVR, it is the only thread I have found dealing with the show Jeopardy, so I hope it is ok to post this info here.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
video library - include home videos and files that failed to scrape0