newbie htpc suggestions
Hi everybody,
first of all I'd like to thank you all for the amazing work you keep doing everyday. I discovered XBMC just a few weeks ago, but I'm already in love with it.
Right now I'm running it on my macbook streaming media files from a Buffalo LinkStation NAS, and that's perfect.
But I just bought my very first HDTV (Samsung UE32D5500 TV LED 32" FULL HD Smart TV) so I'll move on building my Home Theater System.
Since it's my first one, I was thinking about gettin' a prebuilt htpc. The main problem is I'm from Italy, so I don't have such a great choice of products.
I love zotac zboxes design cuz I can put them behind the flat screen, so I'll list the models I can buy on italian ebayers right now, and I'd like you to help me in choosing the right one.
According to Eskro's guide, I belong to Group #5, even if Hulu and Netfix services are not abailable in Italy yet, but I'd like to be all set up when they will be. So right now I need mainly to stream 720p-1080p videos from my nas to my hdtv, no 3D.
Zbox models I can buy are:

1)Zotac ZBOX HD-ID11 (intel atom D510 1.66 GHz FSB 667 MHz + nVidia ION GPU w/ 512MB DDR3)

2) ZOTAC ZBOX ID41 (Intel Atom D525 1.8 GHz FSB 800 MHz + GPU Next-Generation NVIDIA ION w/512MB DDR3)

3)ZOTAC ZBOX ID12 (Intel Atom D525 1.8 GHz FSB 800 MHz + Intel GMA 3150 GPU)

4)ZOTAC ZBOX AD02 (AMD E-350 APU Platform (dual-core) 1.6 GHz + AMD Radeon HD 6310 GPU)

I've read a little bit and now my choice is between ID41 and AD02, the price is the same, give or take a few bucks.
What do you think?
I appreciate in advance any help.
depends also on the O/S u wanna run.
Forget Linux and NetFlix, those 2 dont like each other.

If u really want NetFlix support, you'll need to use Windows7...
anyways, i'd go for the AD02 as its more powerful then the ID41.
ok thanks a lot.
I'll buy the AD02.
about the OS, as I said right now Netflix is not available in Italy, so it wouldnt be a problem. Actually I was thinking wether I should get OPENelec or win7 on it.
Apart for Netflix support which is not important at the moment, what would u suggest?

p.s. I also would buy 2x2GB RAM and a SSD 32GB.
i suggest you use OpenELEC on those ZOTAC ZBOX's...
there's a version made specially for your AD02 (E350 platform)..

OpenELEC runs from a Pen Drive or Flash Card. no need for an SSD. save your EURO's Tongue

and for RAM, get 1 stick of 2GB and thats it. your AD02 doesnt support dual channel anyways.
oh and by the way, im %100 Italian too Tongue

but from Canada.
whoaaa...thanks a lot! so I think I'll go for it. didnt know openelec was a live distro.
with a 220 euro I'll get the AD02 and 2 GB RAM.
and if I'll need Windows I'll just buy an hard disk. great!

Italy, right now not the best place in the world, but still a wonderfull country!
cheers
eskro Wrote:i suggest you use OpenELEC on those ZOTAC ZBOX's...
there's a version made specially for your AD02 (E350 platform)..

Where can I get this version of OpenELEC?
Is it better to run xbmc live or openELEC?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
newbie htpc suggestions0