Another question about refurb units - Dell
Hi there

I have the chance of picking up a Dell Optiplex 755 with 2gb ram and an intel core2 processor E6550 @ 2.33 GHZ. Its a small form factor desk top case

The motherboard has a PCI express x 16 slot in it and i was hoping to install a new graphics card (ideally a ASUS GT430 1GB DDR3 128-bit Low Profile).

Unfortunately it looks like the PC only has a 150w power supply - is this a complete no-hoper?

I did look at seeing whether there were "low profile" power supplies that could fit but couldnt find anything from the UK supplier websites that would do (other than a shuttle one at nearly £70 which starts to make the whole thing uneconimic)

Any thoughts

Many thanks for your comments
Chuck Bartowski Wrote:Hi there

I have the chance of picking up a Dell Optiplex 755 with 2gb ram and an intel core2 processor E6550 @ 2.33 GHZ. Its a small form factor desk top case

The motherboard has a PCI express x 16 slot in it and i was hoping to install a new graphics card (ideally a ASUS GT430 1GB DDR3 128-bit Low Profile).

Unfortunately it looks like the PC only has a 150w power supply - is this a complete no-hoper?

I did look at seeing whether there were "low profile" power supplies that could fit but couldnt find anything from the UK supplier websites that would do (other than a shuttle one at nearly £70 which starts to make the whole thing uneconimic)

Any thoughts

Many thanks for your comments

I'm also using the 745/755 series for my htpc.

the power supply installed is almost double what the unit pulls at the wall and will be fine. Mine pulls 70-80Watts

I have a low profile GT210 and it works great. No issues with 1080p. You might have to do some audio configuring if you plan on using hdmi as the audio source. some builds work out of the box some you have to tell it what output to use.

they do not have a lot of airflow so I do not recommend using a fan-less card

if the capacitors have not been replaced on the board, i recommend you get a set http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=21 the 745 ones will work with the 755 they use the same caps.
Just go with a GT520
Main HTPC:
Intel e4600 + AMD HD5450 + Antec NSK2480B case + 4gb ddr2 + Earthwatts 430 + 1.5tb Seagate 7200 + XBMC Rapier Qualar Mod Skin + Win7
Office HTPC/Ripper/Server:
AMD x4 635 + GT220 + Antec 300 case + 4gbddr3 + OCZ ModXStream 500 psu + 3x2tb WD green drives + Win7

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another question about refurb units - Dell0