Eden Launch time - Startup
I did a few searches and couldn't find a thread on this. If there is one, please direct me to it or move this post to that thread.

I built a new HTPC the other night and did a fresh clean install of XBMC Eden. This is the first install of XBMC this system has had, so it wasn't an upgrade. It seems to take about 30 seconds to launch. Once in XBMC it is FAST. The menu system and launching files is lightning quick. It just seems to be the startup/launch of XBMC itself that is a problem. This is the ONLY issue I have found so far.

System details
Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)
AMD A8 3850
ASUS F1A75-M PRO Motherboard
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
Intel 80GB SSD
Windows Firewall is disabled, hardware firewall enabled on router, other xbmc install doesn't experience this problem using same network.
EDIT - No Optical drive is installed. Only the SSD drive.

I am probably going to blow out this install since I foolishly installed the 32 bit version and not the 64bit version of the OS, which doesn't utilize all my RAM, but I would like to avoid running into this problem on the next go. However, the performance is so good, I might just keep the 32 bit flavor in place if I could just fix this one issue.

Also, I haven't looked at the logs as of yet. That is my next step. New to XBMC (1 month of playing around with it during the short evenings) and logs haven't come into play. I played with debug, but it is pretty cryptic.

Thanks for any info
I 'think' XBMC used to load faster... purely an observation, no actual data to support my theory but it does seem like it is slower than in previous version. I suspect there is a lot more going on in the background now.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Its slower for me but only like 5 or so more seconds.

What I dont like is the computer volume button now control xbmc volume and not the computer volume
Star 
What are you guys running... I just did a real 'by my watch' start-up of XBMC Transparency! with animated moving slides on the 9 button custom home page etc... 1.5 - 2 seconds tops.... hard to gauge when it comes alive that quick, the splash page is a blink.

Check your debug log and see what the killer is.
1.5 to 2 seconds is VERY fast... I have Win7, 8 GB RAM, SSD boot drive, and E7400 C2D with nothing else running and I suspect it should take 3-4 seconds (based on what I have it doing)

What I did find is that something seems to be causing a few second delay. Notice the 3 second gap (or pause?)...

18:29:04 T:4336 ERROR: CRemoteControl::Connect - failed to connect
18:29:07 T:4756 NOTICE: CApplication::UpdateLibraries - Starting video library startup scan
18:29:07 T:4756 NOTICE: CApplication::UpdateLibraries - Starting music library startup scan
I have the rig in my sig and also I use my laptop for a test platform which is a Core i7, 8G, SSD. There is a significant delay at the splash screen on both. Probably 12-15 seconds. Dharma was probably 1-2 secs tops. I see the same pause in my log as noted in the post above. Not much to see...otherwise I'd post my log.

It's not a big deal really, I just wanted to throw it out there that I am seeing it too...
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
When i turned on the airplay stuff, thats when mine started lagging a bit on startup. I feel its finding out "bonjour" stuff and waits for it to complete, then continues loading the regular stuff. Once in, like you said, its fast.

Realize I'm totally guessing, y'know....
Star 
All I've got to say is if you enjoy all the bells and whistles on win 7, that's half the issue right there.. (note I still have aero on..) but I don't need animated windows or shadows etc.. just 8 items under the appearance 'Performance Options' or lack there of.. A spiffy graphic card can be an asset... I keep reading about users going for the absolute minimum just to run XBMC; but forgetting about skins/add-ons/resolutions same drive large disk caches etc.. If you want to run fast you have to cut the weight and make some compromises, preferably in your wallet.

Liven: 'CRemoteControl::Connect - failed to connect' I'm using a mouse..

TechLife: a significant delay at the splash screen on both. Probably 12-15 seconds. Strange stuff.... worth looking closely at the debug. Bet you have a gaggle of plugins... making contact to the dark side of the moon.

I've got 12 gigs of memory sitting... I'm thinking about loading up the whole roaming directory in a recoverable ram folder to see if I can shave off some more time.
PatK Wrote:All I've got to say is if you enjoy all the bells and whistles on win 7, that's half the issue right there.. (note I still have aero on..) but I don't need animated windows or shadows etc.. just 8 items under the appearance 'Performance Options' or lack there of.. A spiffy graphic card can be an asset... I keep reading about users going for the absolute minimum just to run XBMC; but forgetting about skins/add-ons/resolutions same drive large disk caches etc.. If you want to run fast you have to cut the weight and make some compromises, preferably in your wallet.

Liven: 'CRemoteControl::Connect - failed to connect' I'm using a mouse..

Windows has nothing to do with XBMC startup time. And much of what you point out also has nothing to do with XBMC startup time - except the skins and addons, which are directly XBMC related, and could cause a bit (like a second or two) of extra startup time, on a reasonably fast system.

and, I was not asking you about that error... I was simply pointing out I found an issue where my setup seemed to be pausing for 3 seconds at that point.
WildBill Wrote:What I dont like is the computer volume button now control xbmc volume and not the computer volume

If you want me to pursue this please start a new thread for it and include a debug log showing you pressing the volume buttons.

JR
I moved my "old" HTPC back upstairs last night and hooked it up. I started XBMC and it launched much faster than the "New" HTPC I just built which has a bit higher specs. Quad vs Dual Core AMD cpu, same RAM, faster vid card on the newer, 6650 vs 4xxx AMD/ATI. Both running Eden. So in theory the new box should start up faster, or just as fast, but it doesn't. I suspect a LAN/Network setting. Once XBMC is loaded it is much faster on the new system. Settings on both XBMC installs are practically identical.

Time to dig into log files and see if I can figure out the difference. As I mentioned before, I may blowout my windows install completely since it is 32 bit and replace it with 64 bit, that is another difference between the old and the new box, the old is also sporting win 7 64bit.

Those that are seeing delays, approximately how long does it take to launch beyond the splash screen? Mine is taking upwards of 20 seconds which seems excessive.

Diggs
I too noticed a big startup lag compared to Dharma. I just did an upgrade, and between the XBMC logo and actually showing the main screen has to be 15-20 seconds. Dharma, it was about 2.

I'd really like to have this back, and the old Confluence skin...!
To follow up on this, I downloaded and installed Beta 3 on both of my HTPC systems last night. The system with the slow launch time is now as quick as the other system, if not faster. It is a HUGE improvement over what I was seeing with Eden Beta 1. It also resolved an issue I had with some movies showing up as sets, and now they show up individually. So far I am very happy with Beta 3, but haven't had the chance to use it that much. 2 systems upgraded and zero problems going from Beta 1 to 3, just improvements.

Diggs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Eden Launch time - Startup0