[AppleTV2] Nightlies for the ATV2?
Good Morning!
Using the Eden build on my new ATV2, I found that MKV's stutter a lot, both through SMB and NFS. Every other fail manages to play smoothly without problems it seems.
I have done all the tricks related to setting the audio to 16 bit, disabling video sync, Optical audio, etc.

I've searched and people generally recommend the recent Nightly builds to help in regard to that problem.
Where can I find the repositories of the Nightly builds and where can I read about them?

Or are they just kang's (self compiles) by users from the XBMC repo?
Eden betas are more recent than the nightlies. Beta 2 is coming out soon.
Ned Scott Wrote:Eden betas are more recent than the nightlies. Beta 2 is coming out soon.

Ah
I should have looked at the dates of the posts I've searched then.
Well, is there anything else I should try to minimize this buffering problem?
I tried SMB, NFS, should I try FTP as well?

EDIT:

FTP seems to have solved the Buffering problem.
There is clearly a bug that I hope it is solved in Beta 2.
I will gladly share logs if anyone asks
Arkanius Wrote:Ah
I should have looked at the dates of the posts I've searched then.
Well, is there anything else I should try to minimize this buffering problem?
I tried SMB, NFS, should I try FTP as well?

EDIT:

FTP seems to have solved the Buffering problem.
There is clearly a bug that I hope it is solved in Beta 2.
I will gladly share logs if anyone asks

If you don't stop calling it a bug i will set you on a very special list of mine which will add a "I don't think before i write" to each post you do in the iOS forum. Nod

I can proof you wrong that its "clearly" a bug. Install iOS 4.3 instead of 4.4.4 on your atv2, use ethernet wire and use NFS (with a real NFS server not that windows hanewin crap) and you will see what i mean.

If it was clearly a bug - we wouldn't have users which have no issues with either of these protocols and 1080p mkvs.

So what do i mean you ask? I mean that it heavily depends on the environment. What do i mean really you ask again? Well its all about iOS 4.4.4 is crap slow as hell.

Conclusion: You can call this a limitation of the plattform depending on the used environment and iOS version.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Oh, iOS 4.4.4 is a regression in terms of network performance?
I'm new to XBMC on Apple TV2, I clearly must read more about it. Sorry if I insulted anyone.

I said it was a bug because NFS performance with Hanewin (Which I confess, is not an optimal solution, I rather setup Ubuntu server side and do a real NFS solution) was ok back when I used an Xtreamer on my Wifi network. I rashly concluded it was a XBMC problem. I should have added ATV2 to the equation.
So to fix the slow share performance is either go back to a older iOS version or wait for Apple to get their act together in a future one?

Anyway, I'll read more and pay attention to the issue, meanwhile FTP is working great with all the fanart and thumbs activated in the advancedsettings.xml, I'll use this solution for now

Thanks for all the replies Smile
Its not the network performance of ios 4.4.4 directly. Its CPU usage is about 10% higher then with iOS 4.3. So when running XBMC which really hits the limits of that tiny box sometimes - there is just not enough CPU left for doing the network stuff.

Lets hope Apple does something about it. iOS 5.0.1 (which is the same like 4.4.4 for atv2) made my iPad unusable according to its performance (the whole speed feeling was lost) so i had to revert to 4.x.

Sorry for sounding rough - but you posted it already twice that this is a bug in XBMC (totally clear - what else) and i'm just a bit huffy when such statements are spread through the forum when they aren't backed up be serious tests.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
so to conclude this, would you recommend that the end user be running 4.3 over 4.4.4?

thanks.
winds Wrote:so to conclude this, would you recommend that the end user be running 4.3 over 4.4.4?

thanks.
Yes.
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.
is apple still signing 4.3?

update: Nope they're not.
I use ATV2 IOS4.4.4 and don't have any other apple products so I decided to turn off few services to free some resources and use it for xbmc purpose only.

I moved following plist files to backup folder from /System/Library/LaunchDaemons:
com.apple.BTServer.plist
com.apple.CommCenterClassic.plist
com.apple.airtunesd.K66.plist
com.apple.apsd.plist
com.apple.atvitunescloudd.plist
com.apple.location.plist

I don't know how to make IOS not load those ones much better (proper) way.

First reboot was kind of slow but now works ok. I haven't noticed any significant improvement (actually I didnt check well), but slightly more memory available since corresponding processes are not respawned anymore.
Ned Scott Wrote:Eden betas are more recent than the nightlies. Beta 2 is coming out soon.

Is there eta when this out?Big Grin
t00bie Wrote:Is there eta when this out?Big Grin

now.
Hi,

I've just upgraded to Beta 2 in the hope that MKV stuttering is fixed. I use a synology nas connected by ethernet with NFS. On the previous build MKV's worked perfectly. Any tips/ ways to troubleshoot this?

Thanks so much

Rob
I will buy you a virtual beer if you help me sort out this remote...
Rob Xbox User Wrote:Hi,

I've just upgraded to Beta 2 in the hope that MKV stuttering is fixed. I use a synology nas connected by ethernet with NFS. On the previous build MKV's worked perfectly. Any tips/ ways to troubleshoot this?

Thanks so much

Rob

Need a debug log (see stickies/FAQ). Also, probably better to start a new thread for your issue.
Ned Scott Wrote:Need a debug log (see stickies/FAQ). Also, probably better to start a new thread for your issue.

When I get a chance I'll start a new thread and find my debug log. There is one thing - it use to work fine on smb on an older network drive...
I will buy you a virtual beer if you help me sort out this remote...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Nightlies for the ATV2?0