Questions on ripping Blue-Ray collection
ripbot264 + anydvd HD = pure bliss.
Main PC:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO 4.6ghz all core | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders edition + EK vector Block
ASUS PG27UQ 4K 144Hz HDR G-sync monitor | LG CX 55" OLED TV 120Hz 4K HDR G-sync
Gskill TridentZ 32GB 2x(16GB) DDR4 @3200mhz | Gigabyte X570S Master
easiest thing to rip your blurays is to:
a) use makeMKV to extract the main movie with the audio streams you like to keep
b) use a NIGHTLY BUILD!!! of Handbrake to reencode the movie

on nightly builds of handbrake you have the possibility to passthrough HD audio streams if you prefer to keep those and you don't have to use mkvtoolnix to mux stuff back and forth. Personally I use the "high profile" of handbrake with a quality of 19 and disable "detelecine".
da-anda Wrote:easiest thing to rip your blurays is to:
a) use makeMKV to extract the main movie with the audio streams you like to keep

on nightly builds of handbrake you have the possibility to passthrough HD audio streams if you prefer to keep those and you don't have to use mkvtoolnix to mux stuff back and forth. Personally I use the "high profile" of handbrake with a quality of 19 and disable "detelecine".

plus you are able to choose from consistent FPS or variable. it drove me nuts before cause for some reason the non nightly would always encode videos in variable framerate. pissed me off lol
Main PC:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO 4.6ghz all core | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders edition + EK vector Block
ASUS PG27UQ 4K 144Hz HDR G-sync monitor | LG CX 55" OLED TV 120Hz 4K HDR G-sync
Gskill TridentZ 32GB 2x(16GB) DDR4 @3200mhz | Gigabyte X570S Master
da-anda Wrote:easiest thing to rip your blurays is to:

HandBrake was among the best quality out of 8 BD converters I tried, but it was among the slowest converter though.

Can XBMC nightly build natively pass-thru DTS-HD/TrueHD audio? :confused2:
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:Can XBMC nightly build natively pass-thru DTS-HD/TrueHD audio? :confused2:

No (although I'm 99% sure you already knew that). TrueHD to PCM is just as good though.
T800 Wrote:No (although I'm 99% sure you already knew that). TrueHD to PCM is just as good though.
I knew that but when I saw this "on nightly builds of handbrake you have the possibility to passthrough HD audio streams" from a Team-XBMC member, I just want to confirm with him what he meant by it. :confused2:
bluray Wrote:I knew that but when I saw this "on nightly builds of handbrake you have the possibility to passthrough HD audio streams" from a Team-XBMC member, I just want to confirm with him what he meant by it. :confused2:

You said it yourself 'nightly builds of handbrake'.
T800 Wrote:You said it yourself 'nightly builds of handbrake'.
Not me...it is a direct quote from post #17. You and I don't know for sure what he meant. I'm not quite sure if he meant "HandBrake Nightly Builds" either, because I never knew that there is HandBrake Nightly Build. I posted the question on post #19, and he can explain it.

I uses HandBrake all these years, I never see HandBrake listed any "HandBrake Nightly Build"- HandBrake. :confused2:
When I said 'you said it yourself" I meant as in you quoted the other post.
Did you try google:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=handbra...=firefox-a
T800 Wrote:When I said 'you said it yourself" I meant as in you quoted the other post.
Did you try google:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=handbra...=firefox-a
I never see HandBrake Nightly Build in HandBrake website. XBMC on the hand, always have Nightly Builds in XBMC website.
Handbrake nightly builds

Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archive...-snapshots

Windows: https://build.handbrake.fr/job/Windows/
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
thethirdnut Wrote:Handbrake nightly builds

Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archive...-snapshots

Windows: https://build.handbrake.fr/job/Windows/
I'm just trying to get the terminology correct here. I never see HandBrake listed anything under Nightly Build, and XBMC clearly listed their Nightly Builds in their webstie.

HandBrake and XBMC
@bluray

Handbrake doesn't advertise it much - you have search for it.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
bluray Wrote:I'm just trying to get the terminology correct here. I never see HandBrake listed anything under Nightly Build, and XBMC clearly listed their Nightly Builds in their webstie.

HandBrake and XBMC

Handbrake is opensource, anyone can build it if they are so inclined.

Or just go here (right on handbrake's forum):

https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15901

and one can download directly from here:

https://build.handbrake.fr/view/Nightlies/

(just takes a little searching on their site)
ghart999 Wrote:Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I am getting to know some of you very well and respect your opinions.

I want to start ripping my entire blue-ray collection to mkv files using DVDfab to rip to m2ts files and then handbrake to encode to mkv files. I am just curious, for people that do the same, what size files they find provide excellent quality, full 5.1 audio yet with the smallest file size. I plan to encode both the primary 5.1 audio channel (whether DTS-HD, TrueHD, DTS, or DD) as well as the 2-channel stream. Well I guess that is another question, if I only encode the 5.1 stream will I be able to play the file on a 2-channel system via HDMI? Meaning will the audio stream down convert for me?

Back to the main question, I also plan to rip in full 1080p. I was hoping I could get away with 2GB per hour for video. But I did not know if this would produce quality video and audio (especially 5.1).

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
My recommendation: Use DVDFab but don't rip to .m2ts. Have DVDFab rip it to an MKV (you'll maintain chapters) and remove HD audio (just use either AC3 or DTS core). It plays perfectly fine on non 5.1 systems. Also extract the SUB/IDX subtitles of your choice as well and keep them in the movie folder. Then use Handbrake to re-encode the MKV and passthrough the AC3 or DTS audio. The file size largely depends on the AR and especially the type of film you'll be re-encoding (live action and movies with lots of grain like Black Hawk Down will still give you a large file after re-encoding, animated titles will give you a much smaller file size). 1080p movies will end up anywhere between 3GB and 10GB (or more), depending on the level of compression you'll be telling Handbrake to use.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Omega + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ MeLE N5105 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Questions on ripping Blue-Ray collection0