HTPC Help for xmbc
New to all this. I have a PC that i do not use

Q6600 @ 4.0ghz
2gb ddr2 1100mhz
8800 640mb
Asus p5k deluxe

Looking to put xmbc on it, and see what you can do with it. My card doesnt have an hdmi port, and from what i can see wont transfer audio to my tv. Can you guys recommend a card for me to put in this system? Its either i do that or i will just purchase apple tv 2, whats the better route?

Thanks
Your machine should be more than enough for moderate xbmc use. What route you go, ATV2 vs video card really has a lot more to do with what you want to accomplish with the device. The ATV2 is a good deal for what it is but it has some playback limitations when it comes to high bitrate playback. Also if things like on board storage, expandability, optical media playback etc are important to you a dedicated htpc is going to be a better choice for you. The biggest advantages to the ATV2 are it's price point and size/appearance.

Looks like you can get into decent enough videocard for about 30 bucks
XFX HD-645X-ZQH2 Radeon HD 6450

P.S I didn't check the specs on your mobo so you'll have to check compatibility.

If it were me I'd do what most people here do and go for the full on htpc using the parts you've got.

Any questions about specific hardware are just a search away just about everything has been discussed here at length already, sometimes excessively.
Everyones told me to go that route. Might as well since this pc is sitting. Should i grab the 512 or 1gb memory 6450? Thanks
this was posted in another thread...i don't own one so i can't really comment on it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814150567

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Help for xmbc0